Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What regulatory body (if any) licenses TEFL cert schools?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: What regulatory body (if any) licenses TEFL cert schools? Reply with quote

I looked this a while back and thought I'd found something definite but given that this may be regionally determined, I'd like to pose it as a broader question, especially with the growing number of online cert course queries.

The TESL Canada Foundation (TESL.ca) for example, provides a list of teacher training programs it at least 'recognizes' within Canada. How wide-spread has acceptance of these standards affected hiring among private language schools? The non-'recognized' teacher training school I got my cert from still exists.

Is there a similar body in the US, and if so, what has been it's impact on hiring practices within the US?
Coolguy123

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I understand it (and probably someone with more knowledge can provide better information), in the research I've been doing it seems there are courses like CELTA or Trinity which are regulated by those universities and schools that give the course must adhere to regulations which hopefully ensure the quality of the course.

The reason why those two courses are widely accepted is because they have a good reputation for being high quality and well regulated. Other courses may or may not be regulated/as well known, and so are less widely accepted. Especially if a course is in-house, there's no guarantee of the quality of the course or the reputation of the school.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEFL.ca does 'recognize' CELTA and Trinity but my question is one of licencing rather than accreditation. By referring to CELTA as 'externally accredited', Spiral78 seems to imply many other centres essentially accredit themselves which this school obviously does:

Quote:
Q. Are i-to-i courses accredited?
A. Relax, you're in safe hands. More people get TEFL certified with i-to-i than any other course provider each year. Do a course with us and you'll get your hands on one of the most internationally recognized qualifications in the TEFL industry. This is due to our experience within the industry (15 years and counting), our extensive TEFL networks abroad and the fact that our courses are accredited by widely-respected bodies. It�s important to note that there�s no international TEFL governing body or universally accepted qualification for teaching English abroad. However, the ODLQC (Open and Distance Learning Quality Council) has recognised the quality of our courses and we monitor our courses carefully to ensure they meet the very highest industry standards.

The statement they make that there's no universally accepted qualification is right in the sense that if any fly-by-night, 'self-accredited' operation can take your money and issue you a TEFL Certificate, its not much of a qualification.

So, the question remains: if the marketplace isn't regulating the teacher training industry (by insisting on a 'recognized' course), what's the licensing requirement, if any, to open a (teacher training) school where you are?
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a must read FAQ about accreditation from internationalteflacademy.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: