Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Going from Korea to Taiwan?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shamash

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Going from Korea to Taiwan? Reply with quote

My parents are moving to Taichung for work, and I'm currently teaching English in Korea and was planning on moving there with them.

I was wondering if it's pretty similar in Korea to paperwork I'll need to get? I assume I need a new apostilled criminal background check/degree apostille.

Also, wondering where to begin looking for jobs. Is it the same kind of thing as Korea, where you find a recruiter? I don't think I should have too much trouble getting a job, or at least I hope I won't. I've got a degree in Secondary English Education and will have a year of teaching in Korea as experience.
JZer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not need a criminal background check to teach in Taiwan.
shamash

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what paperwork is required for a working visa?
teacher4life

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For immigration purposes, a copy of your degree will be fine.

For whatever else, it depends on your employer's needs.
Sadebugo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! I just left Taichung! Taiwan is a great place to live and work. I regret that I didn't discover it sooner in my EFL career.

Sadebugo
Sadebugo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Going from Korea to Taiwan? Reply with quote

Jared wrote:
shamash wrote:
My parents are moving to Taichung for work, and I'm currently teaching English in Korea
With all do respect, why would any foreign teacher teach in Korea? I'm sorry but I just know that most horror stories come out of there.

Taiwan is much better. In Korea, if you have a legal dispute with any Korean that goes to court. Odds are always in favor in the Korean person no matter how right you are. Foreigners being ripped off their salary, when they take it to court. Even if the foreigner is 100% right, odds go against him always.

A friend of mine in Taiwan said that the court system in Taiwan would be more likely to be fair towards things and look at things from an equal footing.

I read mainly good things about Taiwan. And I highly encourage you go to Taiwan. People respect us westerners more, I bet you will experience alot of relief once you get to Taiwan. Once I get my degree, I'm going back.

I totally agree with what you said above. However, I'm reluctant to recommend Taiwan without reservation as I was there as a civil servant vice working in the language institutes. Therefore, I don't know the exact conditions in those situations. I can say the Taiwanese people were wonderful, the best experience I've had in Asia and I've worked in four different countries in that part of the world.
Jared

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Going from Korea to Taiwan? Reply with quote

Sadebugo wrote:
Jared wrote:
shamash wrote:
My parents are moving to Taichung for work, and I'm currently teaching English in Korea
With all do respect, why would any foreign teacher teach in Korea? I'm sorry but I just know that most horror stories come out of there.

Taiwan is much better. In Korea, if you have a legal dispute with any Korean that goes to court. Odds are always in favor in the Korean person no matter how right you are. Foreigners being ripped off their salary, when they take it to court. Even if the foreigner is 100% right, odds go against him always.

A friend of mine in Taiwan said that the court system in Taiwan would be more likely to be fair towards things and look at things from an equal footing.

I read mainly good things about Taiwan. And I highly encourage you go to Taiwan. People respect us westerners more, I bet you will experience alot of relief once you get to Taiwan. Once I get my degree, I'm going back.

I totally agree with what you said above. However, I'm reluctant to recommend Taiwan without reservation as I was there as a civil servant vice working in the language institutes. Therefore, I don't know the exact conditions in those situations. I can say the Taiwanese people were wonderful, the best experience I've had in Asia and I've worked in four different countries in that part of the world.
Which four asian countries did you work in? What was your experience in each one?
BritishDefector2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love this place so far. Taipei kicks Seoul's xenophobic boring little arse. Quality of life is so much higher here (in my opinion)

I'm teaching CELTA- style English lessons again! no more jumping around like a monkey (OK there are a LOT of crappy Buxibans here but if you look around you can find a similar school)

And of course a big factor: Taiwanese girls are actually open to the possibility of being with a foreigner. I remember Korean clubs had girls on one side and boys on the other like a school disco. Not the case here!
JZer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taiwan is a lot better than Korea unless you need to earn more.

In Taiwan, you should only expect to earn 60,000NT a month.
Jared

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BritishDefector2 wrote:
love this place so far. Taipei kicks Seoul's xenophobic boring little arse. Quality of life is so much higher here (in my opinion)

I'm teaching CELTA- style English lessons again! no more jumping around like a monkey (OK there are a LOT of crappy Buxibans here but if you look around you can find a similar school)

And of course a big factor: Taiwanese girls are actually open to the possibility of being with a foreigner. I remember Korean clubs had girls on one side and boys on the other like a school disco. Not the case here!
I had many chinese locals in major cities in china be friendly tomme at first and then take my number. Usually never see them again. If I am lucky they may visit me once or twice. Then they just drop off the face of the earth. No responding to text messages or answering phone calls. If they do, they usually give a lame excuse to say they are busy. Or whatever.

Are Taiwanese people different in that respect?
JZer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jared wrote:
BritishDefector2 wrote:

I had many chinese locals in major cities in china be friendly tomme at first and then take my number. Usually never see them again. If I am lucky they may visit me once or twice. Then they just drop off the face of the earth. No responding to text messages or answering phone calls. If they do, they usually give a lame excuse to say they are busy. Or whatever.

Honestly the same could be said about any city in the world. It doesn't matter if you live in New York, Toronto, or Beijing.

If you want to meet people then move to a small town, but you will need to speak Mandarin.
Jared

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
Jared wrote:
BritishDefector2 wrote:

Honestly the same could be said about any city in the world. It doesn't matter if you live in New York, Toronto, or Beijing.

If you want to meet people then move to a small town, but you will need to speak Mandarin.
I been to small towns in china and found that the people are if anything more hostile towards foreigners than in bigger cities.

Not only that, but small towns in china are very poorly developed and definitely not very clean. You may find a kfc if you are lucky.

How are small towns in Taiwan in terms of development and cleanliness?
JZer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ilan is a nice small town. However there are not many English teaching jobs there.

However, you want to avoid industrial cities/towns like Taoyuan.

Ilan and Taichung are both decent places to live. However Taichung is the third largest city in Taiwan.
starlalin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just throwing my experience in here, because I always hear people complain about Korea, but I lived and worked there for 8 years and loved it.

I never had any bad experiences - Korean people were always kind to me, and it seemed that it was BECAUSE I was a foreigner that I got more special attention. Any time I asked for help, people were always willing. Most of them also speak English. I had a lot of Korean friends, especially when I learned Korean and was able to just talk to people on buses or subways. They are literally the warmest people I've met out of the 14 countries I've lived in/visited.

Also, I know of two cases where the courts sided with foreigners, so I don't believe you can't win a case there.

I've only visited (not lived in) Taiwan, and only for a few days, so I can't really comment, except for the fact that where I visited, no one spoke English, and I had a hard time getting around. From what I saw, though, people were very polite. I've heard great things from people who lived there, especially in Kaoshiung. I'm very interested in working there, and I think that if I lived there for awhile, I could love it as well. I really make the best of a place I live in, rather than complaining and doing nothing.
Jared

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One good thing about Taiwan is that when one foreigner reportedly does something wrong, that doesn't compel huge numbers of Taiwanese to judge the foreign community for what one foreigner did.

Among the chinese however, when incidents like the luka magnotta case in montreal happens, or when that british guy in 2012 supposively assaulted a chinese girl, or even this year when a british national was found in beijing who happened to be a pedophile. Many chinese people look down upon the entire foreign community. That is wrong. But when a chinese person does something wrong like that, the chinese people don't see themselves as an entire people responsible.

They say that when a foreigner does something wrong to a chinese person, it's considered a crime against all chinese. Really? What about the incident where a chinese beheaded a Canadian on a greyhound bus headed for Manitoba? A crime by a chinese against a non chinese. If a foreigner hurting a chinese person is a crime against all chinese, that means all chinese people are responsible for the Manitoba 2008 beheading incident. The chinese people who feel that a crime against a chinese is considered to be a crime against all chinese are the same chinese people who should feel deeply responsible for the beheading incident.

But the Taiwanese are much smarter than that. They realise that regardless of skin color, we are all one human race. Taiwanese are more welcoming towards foreigners and most people in Taiwan usually have nothing but good things to say about Taiwan. I remember being there in 2004 for just two months. Less than 7 days left of my trip I stood on top of a roof looking over Taoyuan and I came to realise I respected Taiwan more than even my own country. Are there some negative things about Taiwan? Certainly. But, The positive things about Taiwan seem to outnumber the negative things by far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: