Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Groupon for TESOL certification...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimbereli09

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Groupon for TESOL certification... Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

So I know that online TEFL certification courses aren't great. They aren't ideal and don't give you a well-rounded, complete glimpse of what teaching English is like. BUT, I found this Groupon, and I think that it's the only chance for me to be able to afford getting my TEFL certification. Without it, I'd probably have to try to get a job without TEFL certification.

I guess what I'm asking is, do you think it's worth it? The course is only $69, when it normally costs $600. It's 150 hours. What do you think? Here's a link.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/tesols-com-january-salt-lake-city?c=deal_title&d=deal-page&date=20130505&p=1&s=body&sid=f0e5a25c-651d-45b3-9e06-95a19acf35d7&user=421d889979dce5c5078c23951672625e4364ff57d1149a573ef7bda7f927ddd5&utm_campaign=tesols-com-january-salt-lake-city&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the provider's website:

Quote:
But don't worry about missing out on the "teaching practice" component in online certification programs.(A classroom TESOL certification course offers you teaching practice in a classroom environment). We make sure that you are able to review practical English language teaching principles through our online platform. This gives a feel of the practical implementation of your TESOL course. Our internet-based TESOL certification courses help you achieve internationally recognized TESOL certification, without leaving the comfort of your home.

This paragraph alone should eliminate this course from consideration. It is most certainly NOT "internationally recognized." And reviewing teaching principles is not even close to live supervised teaching practice. On the other hand it is only $69. It is probably worth that. I am not one of the many people who will advise you to forget on-line courses, no matter what. Clearly an on-site course provides many things an on-line course simply cannot, as you no doubt already know. Others will probably expand on those.

But IF you are considering one, at the very least stick with one associated with a bricks and mortar program with a decent reputation. Ontesol, ITTO, and Bridge are a few that come to mind that also offer an on-line course. You can add an on-site teaching practice component at the first two, not sure about Bridge.

nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it might be better than nothing. (By the way, don't believe the "internationally-recognized" hype the TESOL course provider is trying to push.) Anyway, it really depends on where you want to teach; some employers---mostly those in Asia---don't require a TEFL cert or have no issue with an online one, while others rightly expect a valid TEFL cert/CELTA. I believe you have a BA, so that's a plus.

A side note You say $69 appeals to your budget. If your finances are that tight, you may need to hold off on heading overseas until you have enough funds to cover possible air fare as well as your initial living expenses, accommodation, on-ground transportation, visa fees, etc.

So where do you want to go for your first teaching job?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: