Joined: 21 Mar 2013
|Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:40 pm Post subject: Say no to Glossa
|DO NOT WORK FOR THESE PEOPLE! Yes, they are ALWAYS hiring. Yes, there are always plenty of courses available. But there is a good reason for it. People leave all the time because they suck.
1. The administrative staff is very rude and bad to deal with. I felt like I was going to the electric chair every time I had to deal with them. I once literally got barked at by the receptionist. They treat their teacher like slaves.
2. In addition to being rude, they are very incompetent and blame you for it. They will give you the wrong address to classes. They will tell you that you are teaching a general/conversational course, when it is in fact an exam course. When the students are upset that you didn't know this was an exam course, it is your fault not theirs. If they screw up anything, it is your fault automatically. If you have a student that all of a sudden has to move out of the country and has to stop taking the course, it is all your fault.
3. The payrate is awful. I know you are not teaching in Prague to become rich. Still their rate for a 90 minute is still 30-50 crowns less than the other language schools I worked at.
4. Their visa assistance is a total scam. If you are still convinced working there is a good idea, don't ask for their visa assistance for the love of god. They take out 10,000 of your money. They only reimburse you if you finish 1000 hours which you won't get around to doing because you are likely to quit after a month or two and that will be a large part of your only check or two missing. So basically they get almost a free month or two of labor from you. Also they don't set you up with the best assistance. My friend had her visa denied and it caused her all sorts of problems.
5. If you have to cancel class last minute because you are sick, they take out 1500 czk. I know there can be some unreliable teachers, but there are other legit times when you have to cancel because you wake up with the flu during the winter months and getting to Prague 10 is just out of the question.
I know not all of the schools in Prague are perfect. They all have their weak points, but this one has very few redeemable qualities if any. I would only take a contract with them if you come in the off season time and absolutely cannot find anything else. I am sure I am probably going to get some people telling me I was being an unreliable teacher and a complainer. Whatever, I work at other schools and everything has been for the most part fine. If you want to be paid in peanuts and treated like dirt , go ahead.