Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Expat Health Insurance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tigerstyleone

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Expat Health Insurance Reply with quote

My school doesn't offer health insurance. Does anyone have international health insurance or expat health insurance? Can you recommend ?
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was with Nomads for a while. If you buy a fairly long-term policy, their premiums are quite competitive. The health coverage is, in my view, pretty good, but it also doubles up as travel insurance, which can come in handy.

http://www.worldnomads.com/
Tigerstyleone

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting recommendation Sgt. I've been following this gal's blog for a few years and has been doing quite well for herself. I believe the Nomad Insurance was her first big success. It looks good enough for what I need.

many thanks,

http://www.nerdynomad.com/
deadlift

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My school provides all foreign staff with coverage from Interglobal, in partnership with BaoViet.

The coverage is extensive and service is exemplary. I've had their local reps (flawless English) get on the phone with FV muppets who were trying to extract payment from me before they'd proceed with an emergency appendectomy. I don't know what they said, but the colour drained from the idiot's face and from then on I was treated like royalty. I received daily calls from the interglobal office in my home country checking on how things were.

Interglobal is also proactive about getting you (and your spouse to accompany you) out of VN to Thailand or Singapore if you're at all nervous about local care. Two colleagues were recently flown to Bangkok for care, and another flown to Singapore by Interglobal's private medevac jet.

Direct billing would be for me a key consideration, as without you run the risk of huge additional headaches in times of stress. With this coverage you pay only a $10 surcharge at some clinics.

I'm not sure of the precise costs, but from the page below it looks like $1200 or so, comparable with the crowd that Sarge posted.

http://www.interglobal.com/vietnam/ultracare.html
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadlift wrote:

I'm not sure of the precise costs, but from the page below it looks like $1200 or so, comparable with the crowd that Sarge posted.

http://www.interglobal.com/vietnam/ultracare.html

Yeah, Interglobal rocks! However, the coverage on World Nomads is about half the cost. I just got a quote for a year from World Nomads for "most of the world". If you are under 70 years old, the standard cover is about $650.
deadlift

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sarge, I stand corrected. I used the auto-quote thing on the website and may have made an error.
Anh Dep

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is nomad insurance just a travel insurance or can you get it as an expat health insurance residing abroad.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anh Dep wrote:
Is nomad insurance just a travel insurance or can you get it as an expat health insurance residing abroad.

It's a travel insurance that includes fairly good health coverage. So you have travel and health coverage within Vietnam and when you go overseas on holidays (depending on the country and what policy you choose). A nice thing to have. Similarly priced health policies that you buy in Vietnam will usually only apply to Vietnam.
Mjrose514

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are there any other insurance companies, especially for couples? I did a quote with that nomad one and for my husband and I and it was $2600!!!
BenE

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberty Vietnam charge me around $500 a year for worldwide coverage excluding Us and Canada. This is for inpatient only but there are cheaper options for Vietnam only. Careful though they require a Motorbike licence to cover you when riding yourself.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most schools should provide their teachers with insurance, but the problem with it is that most of the time it doesn't cover motorbike accidents if you don't have a license. That's probably going to be one of the most common things you'll need treatment for.

I have BoaViet provided by my school, and it's done a good job of taking care of me so far. Had a really weird illness last year which I had to stay in the hospital for a few days for, and the insurance covered all of it. Doctors said I had typhus, but I wasn't too sure if something got lost in translation or not.

Dengue is another big thing you might get put up in the hospital for. It definitely pays to work for a decent school which will cover this for you.
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
Anh Dep wrote:

It's a travel insurance that includes fairly good health coverage. So you have travel and health coverage within Vietnam and when you go overseas on holidays (depending on the country and what policy you choose). A nice thing to have. Similarly priced health policies that you buy in Vietnam will usually only apply to Vietnam.

If your country of residence is Vietnam, then World Nomads won't cover Vietnam. I got it recently for travel, and it explicitly states "except Vietnam." Obviously if you get it in your home country before you come, then it'll be fine (I think).
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been looking at the Nomad's website and they have changed the format and pricing a bit since last year.

Mjrose514 wrote:
So are there any other insurance companies, especially for couples? I did a quote with that nomad one and for my husband and I and it was $2600!!!

That's because you are Americans and, I guess, they are covering themselves in in case you need to be evacuated and treated in your home country. I just did a quote for an Australian 40 year old single who was going to spend a a year in most of the countries of Southeast Asia. Cover starts at around 600 Aussie dollars:

https://www.worldnomads.com/Quote?enc=kLg_wPS4F7AFuDMliLqLTQKJP9f0JU5JxTZ0tGfglq7GsPTCaa4AggwI9HaWmWO7syvrBxvX9PLH56rBqoGde1HLN2tjHtGI6XPQgScb57KgD745mcp1aDLtAxxMc32dWnnx0zjBLg3VU_u1kNbPT_XumOmeAEup2M3gpHwXCrOGgcPGM00j2kuQppwDBxGgAtnwPTrKPOmiPBEuc8A28m3njmFH7EAaRsDDd6Bjx-A^

Nonetheless, $2600 for a couple certainly is steep and you can do better than that in Vietnam. Another poster has mentioned Liberty and I knew a lot of teachers who were with them.

I'm With Stupid wrote:

If your country of residence is Vietnam, then World Nomads won't cover Vietnam. I got it recently for travel, and it explicitly states "except Vietnam." Obviously if you get it in your home country before you come, then it'll be fine (I think).

Not sure about that. They ask for your country of permanent residence and I take that to be my home country (in my case, Australia). When I was in Vietnam I considered that my temporary residence.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: