Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Accents?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaveeBlue

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Accents? Reply with quote

I am from the deep south and I have a distinct accent. I don't think it makes me hard to understand, but it is a noticeable accent. Do you think this is going to be a serious issue?
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends where you end up working. Some places won't care and will hire you regardless of accent. Can make life a bit tough for the students though. Many variables to consider.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Accents? Reply with quote

SeaveeBlue wrote:
I am from the deep south and I have a distinct accent. I don't think it makes me hard to understand, but it is a noticeable accent. Do you think this is going to be a serious issue?

How deep south: Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Sri Lanka, South Africa, Tasmania, Southland (Invergargill?) Antarctica?

Oh, you mean way up north in the USA?

Your accent is no more distinct than any other.

nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Accents? Reply with quote

There's a difference between a distinct southern accent and a strong one. If you sound like Bubba from the back woods, then... Shocked

Anyway, if you get through the interview stage and are hired, then apparently it's not an issue with the employer. By the way, the longer you're away from your hometown, the less distinct your accent will become, especially if you teach alongside locals as well as expats from various parts of the world.
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of the time peopel won't know what your accent is. Cool
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Actually, a deep US southern accent is very distinctive - easily recognized abroad by anyone who knows the region (I have anecdotal evidence only, but from over 15 years).

Whether it's non-standard enough to be an issue teaching abroad depends, as has been pointed out, quite a lot on where you go. You'll be more likely to blend in places where the demand for teachers is high. Here in Europe, could be an issue, for example, depending on what nomad says - an educated southern US accent is probably in the acceptable range, while 'uneducated' usage would probably not be. I did once not pass a TEFL course candidate from Louisiana whose habitual usage was both heavily accented and grammatically incorrect - just not fair to launch him as a certified ESL instructor. We were all polite about it and he took it well. Has gone on to succeed in other fields.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:

Actually, a deep US southern accent is very distinctive - easily recognized abroad by anyone who knows the region (I have anecdotal evidence only, but from over 15 years).

Whether it's non-standard enough to be an issue teaching abroad depends, as has been pointed out, quite a lot on where you go. You'll be more likely to blend in places where the demand for teachers is high. Here in Europe, could be an issue, for example, depending on what nomad says - an educated southern US accent is probably in the acceptable range, while 'uneducated' usage would probably not be. I did once not pass a TEFL course candidate from Louisiana whose habitual usage was both heavily accented and grammatically incorrect - just not fair to launch him as a certified ESL instructor. We were all polite about it and he took it well. Has gone on to succeed in other fields.

And that is more distinct or difficult to understand than perhaps the accent of somebody from Durban, S.Africa or Kochi, Kerala (also "native English speakers")? I think rather not.

spiral78

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And that is more distinct or difficult to understand than perhaps the accent of somebody from Durban, S.Africa or Kochi, Kerala (also "native English speakers")? I think rather not.

I don't know - haven't done the comparison. Just saying that some of the deep southern accents I have heard are too far outside the standard range of internationally understandable English for successful ELT.

It's very much an individual thing, as has been pointed out above. By no means would every speaker from any region have too strong an accent to be successful, but some individuals may.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: