Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Average salaries
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nyc2323

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Average salaries Reply with quote

HI,

I'm wondering what sort of salary I could expect teaching in Oman? I have a BA and a CELTA, with one year of overseas teaching experience (Turkey).

Thanks!
madrileno

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on whether you go with a direct hire or a recruiter.

Direct hire should pay anywhere from RO 1100 to RO 1500/mo. Keep in mind that you're responsible for your own housing, transportation, etc.

Recruiters pay less, RO 950 to RO 1050, but housing and transportation to/from work is provided.

If you go with direct hire, DO NOT settle for anything under 1100, as many private colleges in Muscat have been doing. The high turnover rate at many of these places reflects the low pay they expect teachers to settle for.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then again... very low credentials will be at the lowest level of pay. Unless you have more than only one year of experience to offer.

VS
[email protected]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working for a recruiter the salary is usually between OMR 1100 and OMR 1500. I work for a recruiter and my salary falls between that number.
lizziebennet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madrileno works for ESL so he is talking about recruiters like ESL or Hawthorn/Majali etc. Correct me if I am wrong but I think you are talking about recruiters like CECN or TATI that recruit for the higher colleges of technology. There is definitely a difference in the pay offered by these two groups of recruiters/contractors. In the past there has also been a different expectation as far as credentials go which may explain the lower salaries offered.

Then on an even lower rung than that you have University of Buraimi direct hire and colleges in Muscat which offer salaries as low or lower than what Madrileno quoted.

Rumor has it that since Sharqiyah University got rid of their very expensive contract with ESL they have hired teachers from Asia and are paying them OMR600 a month�
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizzie... do you mean ELS?

Or is there some new recruiter called ESL?

VS
lizziebennet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a typo but on that note it would be good to note that ELS is no longer ELS... It is now ELES.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizziebennet wrote:
It was a typo but on that note it would be good to note that ELS is no longer ELS... It is now ELES.

Oh goodie... I'm sure that will make things all better. Laughing

I figured that it was a typo, but I had to chuckle that you did it three times in the message. Must have been a brain burp... (I can relate)

VS
lizziebennet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol gosh! It must have been! Not gonna edit it or anything Smile Glad you got a chuckle out of it!
Need_an_epiphany

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madrileno wrote:

If you go with direct hire, DO NOT settle for anything under 1100, as many private colleges in Muscat have been doing.

Is this with allowances (i.e. housing, transport, scarcity) on top, or does this figure include the allowances?
lynnknows

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Direct hire should pay anywhere from RO 1100 to RO 1500/mo. Keep in mind that you're responsible for your own housing, transportation, etc.

Recruiters pay less, RO 950 to RO 1050, but housing and transportation to/from work is provided.

HUMM, I found the opposite. I was offered a direct hire. It included housing. I was also offered a job with Al-Nawa and that DID NOT give me housing. I was offered an allowance. Everyone I know of has the same kind of deal.

I think it depends on if youre working for Man Power or MOHE.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lynnknows wrote:
Quote:

HUMM, I found the opposite. I was offered a direct hire. It included housing. I was also offered a job with Al-Nawa and that DID NOT give me housing. I was offered an allowance. Everyone I know of has the same kind of deal.

I think it depends on if youre working for Man Power or MOHE.

I agree Lynn that it is usually the opposite. But, of course, this is the Gulf so no rule is hard and fast... employers can do it either way.

VS
Need_an_epiphany

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help Smile
Westword

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Pay in Oman vs. Saudi Arabia? Reply with quote

Is anybody who has also been to Saudi Arabia able to offer a comparison of Saudi salaries vs. Oman salaries. Also, how does the saving potential differ?
Much appreciated.

Laughing
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Pay in Oman vs. Saudi Arabia? Reply with quote

Westword wrote:
Is anybody who has also been to Saudi Arabia able to offer a comparison of Saudi salaries vs. Oman salaries. Also, how does the saving potential differ?
Much appreciated.

Laughing

It really comes down to the housing. If an average salary for an ESL teacher is around 1100-1300 Omani rials and an average in Saudi is around 11-12,000 riyals then there is not much difference. However, in Saudi your housing allowance is separate or you are provided with accommodation, while in Oman it seems like you usually pay for your own apartment. It also looks like rents in Oman have gone up and it might be difficult to find somewhere fairly cheap (especially in Muscat)..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: