Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Asian countries that haven't been penetrated?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karesta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Asian countries that haven't been penetrated? Reply with quote

Evening,

It is common knowledge that East Asian countries such as China/Korea/Japan/Taiwan have an extremely strong ESL presence and you could argue that is is due to their economic success (generally speaking) and can afford to pay the teachers. On the other end of the spectrum, there is Thailand/Malaysia/Indonesia/Vietnam which are economically struggling but still have quite a large market.

I was curious as to what is preventing countries such as Nepal, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Iran, Mongolia and the Stans from being held in the same regard? Are their governments against employing foreigners? Do they not have the infrastructure? Have they not realized the long term benefits of ESL in the country? Are they already somewhat proficient in English? I know it's a wide generalization but I'm very interested.

Are these markets that have yet to open up their borders? As our current markets start to fade away (definitely seeing this in Japan & Korea - although the level of English is still dismal), will these nations catch on?

There are job postings in these countries but I've found the requirements are pretty high and candidates are drawn from experience in their own western countries as opposed to your standard unrelated BA/Celta +3 yrs in Thailand.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very likely due to:

A. Visa restrictions for certain nationalities.
B. Good supply of capable and qualified local instructors.
C. Difficulty recruiting highly-qualified foreign teachers due to low pay, lack of benefits, high cost of living, etc.
D. English instruction not given much support or funding from government education ministries.
E. Country's socio-political instability and/or slow economic growth.
F. The TEFL market is open to a select few or to specific entities. (See below.)
G. All or some of the above.

I have an Irish friend teaching in Mongolia and a Dutch friend recently new to Kazakhstan. Plus, I believe the British Council has offices in some, if not all, of these countries.

For American teachers with a couple of years' experience and a TESOL-related MA, Georgetown University's English Language Fellow (ELF) Program (http://elfellowprogram.org) has one-year, diverse projects in Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, and even Nepal. These projects are funded through a division of the US State Department.

Last edited by nomad soul on Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Karesta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Very likely due to:

A. Visa restrictions for certain nationalities.
B. Good supply of capable and qualified local instructors.
C. Difficulty recruiting highly-qualified foreign teachers due to low pay, lack of benefits, high cost of living, etc.
D. English instruction not given much support or funding from government education ministries.
E. Country's socio-political instability and slow economic growth.
F. The TEFL market is open to a select few or to specific entities. (See below.)
G. All or some of the above.

I have an Irish friend teaching in Mongolia and a Dutch friend recently new to Kazakhstan. For American teachers with a couple of years' experience and a TESOL-related MA, Georgetown University's English Language Fellow (ELF) Program (http://elfellowprogram.org) has one-year, diverse projects in Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, and even Nepal. These projects are funded through a division of the US State Department.

That sounds very rewarding. I'd love to work in the aforementioned countries (esp. Nepal & Bang.) however as an Australian I don't think we have such specific programs available.

On my last trip holiday to Nepal I attempted to do some on the ground headhunting out of interest. The language institutes were offering just under $4 an hour and the conditions looked horrendous. Run down buildings with construction out the front... very uninviting.

Seems like quite a unique environment and those who get in enjoy it immensely.
Perilla

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO the potential rewards of working in poorly developed countries (like most of those listed) are much greater than in developed countries. The downsides of course are much lower rates of pay and possibly greater personal risk. Most of us don't have the bottle to work in these places but I imagine many of those who do have a memorable experience, and mostly for the right reasons. In my next life I intend to ...
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Stans" ie what used to be Soviet Central Asia, Sikkim, Bhutan.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schools in Bhutan teach in English, they don't have much need for English speakers from other countries.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread was going off-topic because of sexist and ageist comments. Future ones will result in more than a warning.
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Thailand are not economically struggling. They are all moving along quite nicely.

Indian subcontinent nations and Iran have more than enough competent English speakers and don't get as excited by native speaker prestige dialects as East Asian countries.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try North Korea, Mongolia, Siberia, Burma, Iran, Saudi Arabia.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siberia isn't a country - it is part of Russia.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: