Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Oxford School in Badajoz?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad11

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also like to add a short comment to the ones posted by Oxford and Conquense54. The director is a poor communicator who blows hot and cold from one day to the next. He only wants yes men and women and doesn't seem to mind what kind of teacher they are. He makes everything personal and conscientious teachers have even been dismissed or pushed out at the end of the year. So, as Oxford stated, if you are an experienced, serious teacher who is also interested in professional development then this is not the school for you.
Conquense54

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Nomad 11! You've summed the man up exactly! It's yet another terrible indictment of the lack of controls and inspections here which allow people like him to get away with all this. I am still in Badajoz, abiding my time, I have found out many interesting facts about his company, one day my time will come in court to expose this person for what he really is. Maybe he will even have to stop driving around town in his large BMW to pay me, and other colleagues who were treated equally badly, compensation for unfair dismissal. Mad
ssmith272

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, my names Simon and Ive been working at the school since last September (2012) and Ill be leaving at the end of June (2013) - Im leaving because I want to go and teach in Asia.

I can say from my own personal experience that Ian is a great boss to work for, and moreover after working here for a year I would most certainly consider him a friend. I read this thread last year before coming to Badajoz, however I trusted my extincts regarding the negative comments, and when I arrived at the school I was pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere at the school and my working conditions.

This was my first teaching job, and indeed my first time living in another country and Carmen (Ians wife and co-manager of the school) and Ian were very helpful in helping me with issues such as finding accommodation and sorting out paperwork. Ian also lent me his old bicycle for the first few months, as well as giving me some of his Spanish books to borrow (after I told him I was learning Spanish).

My relationships with the other teachers and the staff at the school are also excellent. The school is quite small (with 7 teachers) so Ive got to know everyone pretty well. We tend to go out for drinks and food together quite a lot, and often were joined by Ian and Carmen as well as their son.

The comments regarding the back to back teaching are a matter of taste. Personally I like having 4 hours of teaching in a row as it means that I dont have to wait around at the school in between lessons. Also, Ian is very helpful if you need any help or suggestions regarding your teaching practice. Obviously this was more relevant for me, though this is also something that another teacher has remarked despite having 10+ years of teaching experience himself. We also have meetings every Friday which are normally in the form of workshops where we discuss teaching techniques and activities.

If you are being considered for a job at the school, please feel free to ask Ian for my contact details. Id be happy to speak with any potential teachers either over the phone or on skype about my own experience of working at the school.
ammcgreg1672

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: stranger danger Reply with quote

In response to the quantity of negative comments placed here on this forum I want to offer an alternative perspective on the Oxford Academy in Badajoz.

First of all, has anyone noticed how desperately the user Conquense54 has tried to rally allies and sympathisers to his cause? He tried that here at the school too, in the first few weeks after I had arrived, attempting to manipulate supporters and lead a mutiny against the management.

I shared a flat with that teacher in those first few weeks and realised quickly that it was best to stay out of his way, be it for the winging, whining and growing resenment he exhibited, or be it for his hollering and screaming in the middle of the night.

It's probably best to know that this teacher had gotten himself into trouble before he came to Badajoz, in some central American country and I was polite enough to listen to the same old horror stories time and time again, spiced up with injustices and persecutions of a biblical proportion.

Nevertheless, I am still here, having just finished my third academic year at the school and intend to continue after the summer with my fourth. I am no yes man and feel quite safe in offering my piece which I do with frequency. Neither am I fresh from a CELTA course having worked in this industry for 9 years. I am not a coward and feel no ill will towards the teacher in question, but also feel completely justified in having turned my back on him.

Working at the school can have it's rewards, I love working with Young Learners and have a lot of fun doing so. I'm not so keen on working with adults or teens, but that's part of my job so I put up with it and try to develop my skills and techniques in doing so.

I am lucky to work at a school stacked with resources and helpful administrative support and backed by great teaching materials including decent course books, a huge classroom, projector, internet, speakers, whiteboard, Air Con, all your stationary and craft materials and whatsmore, weekly Teacher Development sessions, where we get paid to attend workshops on methodology.

The pay is reliable, I have NEVER had any problems with receiving all my pay on time and everything is done above board with paperwork signed and stamped for everything. The only surprise was to receive a payslip based on hours worked and not a regular monthly salary. On the other hand, the boss has created a bonus scheme which provides an incentive every month, which financially rewards the teacher who puts in an extra effort.

As for the boss he is nothing like the Capitalist beast projected in previous comments. In fact he's a family man running a family business with ambitions to continue to improve his school and to provide the right service to his clients. He can be quite supportive, but on occasion heavy handed and stubborn. At the end of the day he is the boss and you are working for his school. If you have a teaching problem he will try to lead you to find the way. He likes teacher's who are proactive and imaginative. He is friendly and gives you his time if he has some. On the other hand, his leadership style is a bit confusing. Sometimes he is on the softly, softly, but then suddenly delivers orders abruptly. These are things you put up with because your boss is your boss. I just shrug it off because on the whole he is a good role model.

In conclusion I am happy with the life I have here in Badajoz, with the friends I have made, my hobbies and my job is just part of it. I feel successful and I have no one to blame or to call out on the internet. Conquense54 once told me that he was a cultivator of people. Unfortunately the only cultivation he seems to have been involved with on Dave's is the cultivation of suspicion and malcontent. I hope that my message will help to re-balance the issue.
barabbas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked there too. Found it a good school and a good town too - unusually cheap for Spain! This whole thread sounds like the sad tale of one nutter besmirching a decent guy and outfit. Sad really.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: