Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clarification on VISA requirments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
funktime

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Clarification on VISA requirments Reply with quote

Hello, not sure how active this is but I can't seem to find a straight answer. So I'd really like to teach English in Indonesia. I have a BA in Creative Writing and a TEFL certificate from my community college. I applied with the Wall Street Institute as they seemed pretty legitimate but was rejected as my degree was not in English and I did not have 5 years experience teaching English. I was told both were necessary to obtain a proper visa.

However, upon examining the international jobs forum of this site I've seen numerous listings for teaching jobs in Indonesia that range from one year in experience to no experience required. Some are EF which I understand is a bit suspect but some are from other places. So what are the visa requirements?

Just wondering if my Indonesia dream is dead. Thanks for any help.
Baishou

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would tell them that a degree in English Literature is a simply degree in creative reading and is thus comparatively inferior to a degree in Creative Writing, given that the latter requires far more active use and manipulation of the English language!

As for the experience issue, just use your degree when compiling your CV, why don't you?
memae

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened to me too - my linguistics degree had to be specific to English or something.

Since arriving in Indonesia for another job, I've met people working for WSI who don't have 5 years experience and who also only have online TEFL qualifications. WSI pays really well, and the school curriculum and materials seem really good too, but now that i'm here it sounds like what would be a stressful environment (for me) to work in.

i think the deal with the qualifications is that some schools have different rules to adhere to. Like, i got offers from a few other schools around the country (TBI and EF, here and there, mostly) and none had any concerns about my lack of experience or my degree being in Linguistics rather than Literature. Only WSI.
JustinC

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The requirements will be for mainly immigration, not so much the school. I doubt a school offering jobs needing only 1 year of experience will be all that accommodating.
Gajah Oling

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinC wrote:
The requirements will be for mainly immigration, not so much the school. I doubt a school offering jobs needing only 1 year of experience will be all that accommodating.

To be more specific, the (English degree) requirements come from DIKNAS (the dept of education) and the work experience requirement comes from Manpower. Schools looking to hire foreign teachers must get letters of recommendation (REKOM) which are then submitted to Imigrasi for processing the visa. I have heard of cases where schools were able to somehow bypass one or both DIKNAS and Manpower.
princesss

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wall Street is doing things by the book. they are following the letter of the law. clearly EF is fudging it. In all likelihood they are using back-door channels to get visas organized. Scroll through the threads here and you will find many teachers without the right degree or even any degree who have been offered jobs there. TBI is using business visas because they have a chronic shortage of qualified teachers. (Read the posts of Tudor on this point). But this is clearly not legal and immigration raids have caught people in the past.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: