Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RMIT age limit? term limits?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatcher

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: RMIT age limit? term limits? Reply with quote

It doesnt state it on the site but it does "at the beginning of their career".. are most new hires younger, as in under 40?

Do they have a high turnover? Are there many who have been there for more than 2 years?
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: RMIT age limit? term limits? Reply with quote

Hatcher wrote:

It doesnt state it on the site but it does "at the beginning of their career".. are most new hires younger, as in under 40?

I'm pushing 40 and my age was no problem. They understand that many people in TEFL are on their second careers.

Hatcher wrote:

Do they have a high turnover? Are there many who have been there for more than 2 years?

People come and go, but I wouldn't say that the turnover is high. Many people there have been there for much longer than 2 years.
isabel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: RMIT age limit? term limits? Reply with quote

1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
Hatcher wrote:

I'm pushing 40 and my age was no problem. They understand that many people in TEFL are on their second careers.

Hatcher wrote:

People come and go, but I wouldn't say that the turnover is high. Many people there have been there for much longer than 2 years.

2 years is not exactly "longevity". There is a decided skewing towards hiring younger teachers now fresh out of a Celta program in HCMC. The demographics have changed dramatically to the younger and the male. "Pushing 40" is not exactly old, but there are few people even that age who have been hired in the last couple of years.

Many people left this year. If enrollments weren't down, it could have been an issue.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: RMIT age limit? term limits? Reply with quote

isabel wrote:
1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
Hatcher wrote:

Hatcher wrote:

2 years is not exactly "longevity". There is a decided skewing towards hiring younger teachers now fresh out of a Celta program in HCMC. The demographics have changed dramatically to the younger and the male. "Pushing 40" is not exactly old, but there are few people even that age who have been hired in the last couple of years.

Many people left this year. If enrollments weren't down, it could have been an issue.

I agree that two years is not exactly "longevity" and I simply used that number because that's the figure that Hatcher asked about. There are many teachers at RMIT who have been there for five years and many who have been there for a lot longer. Also this is TEFL and many people do it just so they can experience new places - I know that's why I got into it. You are right when you say that "many people left this year", but I don't know of a single case where someone left RMIT to work somewhere else within Vietnam. Everyone I know who has left has gone on to Europe, Japan, Australia etc. and, I guess, they have all had their fill of Vietnam, which is fair enough, and I don't see that as a reflection on the University.

In regards to "pushing forty" not being "exactly old", thanks Smile. As to the average age of people being employed now, I must confess that I don't really follow these things closely, but I can say that I feel young enough walking around the teacher's room Cool. Pertaining to the hiring/leaving ratio, it's an awkward situation. Things are busy now, but it will drop off just before and after Tet and won't fire up again until over half-way through next year. This happens every year. Whilst I am sure they would like to hire a lot more staff now (and they are doing some recruiting presently), quite rightly, they don't want to overdo it because things are not going to remain as busy as they are indefinitely.
isabel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: RMIT age limit? term limits? Reply with quote

1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
isabel wrote:
1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
Hatcher wrote:

Hatcher wrote:

I agree that two years is not exactly "longevity" and I simply used that number because that's the figure that Hatcher asked about. There are many teachers at RMIT who have been there for five years and many who have been there for a lot longer. Also this is TEFL and many people do it just so they can experience new places - I know that's why I got into it. You are right when you say that "many people left this year", but I don't know of a single case where someone left RMIT to work somewhere else within Vietnam. Everyone I know who has left has gone on to Europe, Japan, Australia etc. and, I guess, they have all had their fill of Vietnam, which is fair enough, and I don't see that as a reflection on the University.

In regards to "pushing forty" not being "exactly old", thanks :). As to the average age of people being employed now, I must confess that I don't really follow these things closely, but I can say that I feel young enough walking around the teacher's room 8). Pertaining to the hiring/leaving ratio, it's an awkward situation. Things are busy now, but it will drop off just before and after Tet and won't fire up again until over half-way through next year. This happens every year. Whilst I am sure they would like to hire a lot more staff now (and they are doing some recruiting presently), quite rightly, they don't want to overdo it because things are not going to remain as busy as they are indefinitely.

I agree on the point that if you have a job at RMIT and wish to stay in Vietnam, you will most likely stay at RMIT. I do know people who have left and gone to other countries who still quite liked Vietnam. There has been a decline in enrollments aside from Tet. It is the economy, and the school, like everywhere else, is feeling it. People who teach abroad for a living usually have an international perspective when it comes to changing jobs, and leaving one country for another is no big thing. The best thing that can be said about RMIT is the money and the location (at least the HCMC location).
deadlift

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you work at RMIT, Isabel?
isabel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: RMIT age limit? term limits? Reply with quote

Hatcher wrote:

There are two tiers of hires at RMIT. The designation of "at the beginning of their career" is, I believe, for the instructors, not the educators. The hours and such are the same, but the pay is quite different. The rationale is that the "educators" have more experience and will be mentoring the instructors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: