Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Brit looking for teaching work in the Philippines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knautica

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: A Brit looking for teaching work in the Philippines Reply with quote

Hi there, can you please advise me about EFL job prospects and pay in Philippines. I�ve been there many times on vacation and I�d like to spend an extended time there � 6 � 12 months.
I can rent out my house in the UK giving me about $1000 income per month. But I�d like to supplement that if possible.

I have;
TESOL Cert,
TESOL Diploma,
HND Business Studies,
first degree (Open University UK),
masters degree (MA Education),
PGCE (post compulsory) = equivalent of PGDE.

I�m 49, white and British. I�ve worked as a director of studies of an EFL Dept. at a UK College of FE and I�ve been teaching for 17 years. I�ve also taught business studies here.

I like Cebu and Davao but I'm open to other suggestions.

Given my situation, what kind of jobs and salary might I expect?
Thanks very much for your help.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: A Brit looking for teaching work in the Philippines Reply with quote

knautica wrote:
Hi there, can you please advise me about EFL job prospects and pay in Philippines. I�ve been there many times on vacation and I�d like to spend an extended time there � 6 � 12 months.
I can rent out my house in the UK giving me about $1000 income per month. But I�d like to supplement that if possible.

I have;
TESOL Cert,
TESOL Diploma,
HND Business Studies,
first degree (Open University UK),
masters degree (MA Education),
PGCE (post compulsory) = equivalent of PGDE.

I�m 49, white and British. I�ve worked as a director of studies of an EFL Dept. at a UK College of FE and I�ve been teaching for 17 years. I�ve also taught business studies here.

I like Cebu and Davao but I'm open to other suggestions.

Given my situation, what kind of jobs and salary might I expect?
Thanks very much for your help.

If you have QTS you may find work in one of the international schools but you are unlikely to find anyone willing to actually sponsor a visa. There are too many qualified teachers who make the RP their home who don't need visa sponsorship.

If you are married to a Pinay then the picture changes since you can get a 13a (non-quota immigrant) visa and can legally work. If this is the case then p25k -50k for work in a language center (depending on how popular you are and how many hours you work) and up p40-p80k in some of the better international schools if you have QTS.

They don't pay any better because they don't have to. The Philippines is a net exporter of English teachers (with education degrees in ELT/ESL/EFL) and TOEIC scores over 800+ or IELTS scores in the 7.5-8.0 band range (I know because I about 40 of them on my staff who all have those qualifications) and they work for about p15k/month.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: