Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Obvious noob questions from the obviously noobish

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TWG

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Obvious noob questions from the obviously noobish Reply with quote

Hey, all.

A few years ago I spent a short while in Taiwan looking for work in EFL. But at the time I needed a higher pay scale than what was being offered so I took a more lucrative position in Japan. That was then and today I only need to go to Asia because I like living there. And while I was only in Taiwan for a short time, I did enjoy it immensely so I'd like to give a few years there a shot.

However, I don't know any of the warning signs of a lousy job there. In Korea, I know all the warning signs of a bad hagwon just by looking at the offers. In Japan I know all the warning signs of a bad eikaiwa just by looking at the offers.

Are the warning signs much the same in Taiwan, or are there other pitfalls the FotBs need to know about?

Thanks.
Ferfichkin

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I could tell just from reading an ad. What kinds of warning signs are common in job offers from Korea and Japan? In my experience most of the ads on sites like Tealit are pretty similar and fairly generic.

I remember when I was looking for a part-time job in 2008 I spoke to a few school owners on the phone who just seemed....odd somehow. I got a weird vibe from them. Well, after talking to a couple of people like that I got an offer from someone who seemed nice and straightforward, and I took it. I stayed there for two years. Great job. Worked out really well.

The point I'm try to make is that online, the ads themselves looked almost identical.

I'm not sure if that helps, but that's been my experience.
TWG

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferfichkin wrote:
What kinds of warning signs are common in job offers from Korea and Japan?

"Close to Big City X" tends to mean "There's a bus twice a day. Wear adult diapers because it takes a while to get through the mountains and the bears are quite aggressive."

"X hours per week" means classroom time and not office hours.

"Satisfied foreign staff" is either "We have a lot of lunatics who are just happy for the beer money" or "Married men who have no choice."

"Elementary - Middle school" is actually "And kindergarten about a month in."

It's that old saw "If it looks too good to be true, it isn't." in practice.

Quote:
I'm not sure if that helps, but that's been my experience.

It helps a lot, in truth. Thanks.
Ferfichkin

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you tell though, right? Maybe they are fairly close to the city or maybe it's like you're suggesting and they're actually far off; maybe the staff are satisfied or maybe the school's just saying that. Who knows? Like I said before, in my experience it's tough to tell what a school's like just from the content of their ad.

I think I would agree with you though that in many cases there is a slight tendency to exaggerate some points of the job. However, without talking to them or meeting them in person it's difficult to tell which jobs and which points.
TWG

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferfichkin wrote:
How can you tell though, right?

Experience. Bitter, bitter experience.

But yeah, the interview is important. And it's not like I'll be the one spending cash on the long distance charges.

Uh... Right?
Ferfichkin

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you might find it hard to find work if you are outside Taiwan. It's certainly possible, but it seems to be less common than it used to be.
TWG

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I kind of figured. Won't hurt to try.
Ferfichkin

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure, and it won't cost you any money. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: