Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cambridge International School Doha

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Santiago Matamoros

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Cambridge International School Doha Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I will be interviewed for a teaching position with the above school.

Has anyone here worked there?
What is Doha like as a place to live and work?
What would you describe as decent working conditions for a teacher?
What sort of reputation does the taleb group have?

Any help appreciated.
lollaerd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quiet place - salaries aren't too high but they don't abuse the staff. At least I haven't heard of abuse. Not like what's been happening at Al Jazeera Academy the past few years - the last head absconded with the loot!! (From Oz - is this what they do in Oz?) Griffith seems to have absconded with Imtiaz' money! Maybe a long standing tradtion? Just kidding - most of the Ozzies I know are honest folk. Too bad a few crooks spoil it for everyone else!
lollaerd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Cambrige Schools, Doha.

[email protected]

Not too many complaints from people there. Students are a mixed lot so no one nationality really predominating unlike AJA and Gulf English.
wilberforce

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New arrivals have quit. I also heard they if they fire you during the first semester, they expect the teacher to pay for their own airfare home and even pay the fees for overstaying the tourist visa they come on. Not fair practice. Again a high turnover of British and South African staff. The accomodation is not as good as it used to be, according to an ex-girlfriend who quit to work in another school.
seinok

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Cambridge International School in 2013? Reply with quote

Has anyone here worked for the Cambridge International School / Taleb Group lately?

What are they like to work for? Do they offer a good salary and benefits?

Thanks
dash201

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would avoid like the plague...

Have met a girl in Dubai who decided to leave after the first year. I work with another girl who actually worked there. She hated it.

I am friends with a girl that currently works there and I have heard horror stories.

In short, they pay less than any other school by a long way. They take your pay for very minor 'infringements'. Just isn't worth it at all.

I would consider other options.
seinok

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the warning.

They can take your pay???

In the end, the interview I was expecting never happened. They've asked me several times to give them my contact details "immediately/asap/today", which I did every time, but they wouldn't tell me when they were going to call, and to this day they haven't.

In the meantime, I discovered some videos on youtube taken by TCS students in class and I was horrified. But unfortunately I was told that it's a rather normal scene in Gulf schools.

(I'm really hoping for a job with a private language school or university, but I haven't had any responses yet, even though I have quite good qualifications and experience. I think I'm running out of time for a September start now.)
dash201

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like to trash talk. Only speak when i have a reliable source but yes...minor infringements. Have heard of not wearing a tie can be one. Being sat down...the CCTV will catch you. Something about being away on a certain day would mean you have not completed a full week so why should you get a full weeks pay...

My school has had some bad press on here as well but is well outdated. Will PM you the website so you can look at current vacancies. Good luck.

BTW...I am helping to run the induction for new staff. Will be awesome!
dee44

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for them....just don't go... unless if u want the live the nightmare of your life.
seinok

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

As impatient as they were in the beginning, in the end they never called. Just as well then I guess.
dash201

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seinok wrote:
Thanks for that.

As impatient as they were in the beginning, in the end they never called. Just as well then I guess.

Really not surprised that they didn't seeing as the head teacher has been arrested in Kenya I think for human trafficking...or a recruitment mission!
seinok

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

: - O
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: