Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

racist school in Ningbo
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trinley

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: racist school in Ningbo Reply with quote

Please read this email that was sent to a friend of my friend. I hope it will influence teachers not to work for this school.

Hi,
This is Sunny from talkingstreet english. We have received your CV.
I am afraid that I have to say sorry about this.
don't mean to be racist or offensive. our school doesn't hire black people. I believe that you are a good teacher.

Sorry again. thanks for calling

------------------
Sunny
唐宁街英语 Talkingstreet English

电话:0574-87658419
传真:0574-87051566
地址:宁波老外滩人民路98号
www.talkingstreet.com.cn
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We don't mean to be racist or offensive, but we're going to be anyway."

At least the school was honest about it. Give them credit for that.
Trinley

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that makes sense in your mind, go for it. But I give absolutely no credit for racism. Blatant racism is no better than implied racism.
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I obviously wasn't supporting racism and I don't think anyone on here is dense enough to draw that conclusion. But at least the school didn't make lame excuses for not hiring your friend and instead of stringing them along just told them up front, we don't want you. That some Chinese schools don't hire people of african or asian descent is not news and other than refusing to work here there isn't much any of us can do about it.

Last edited by Javelin of Radiance on Tue May 28, 2013 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trinley

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm dense, but it seems to me you're congratulating them for being racist upfront instead of disguising it.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they send you a tube of Darlie toothpaste as a consolation prize ? Very Happy

Seriously, though, you should applaud her honesty and directness - would you rather have accepted the job and showed up at their doorstep only to be turned away?

Racism - Chinese racism - is not a secret.

Keep looking and don't let the small minds of some people get you down
wangdaning

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wouldn't really want to work at a place located in 宁波老外滩 . I also wouldn't expect anywhere in that location to not be racist (oops, double negative).
Trinley

I will not applaud them, and it wasn't me anyway. I'm not in China anymore.
kungfuman

Trinley wrote:
Maybe I'm dense, but it seems to me you're congratulating them for being racist upfront instead of disguising it.

Yes the are being upfront about it. And for Chinese that shows progress as they are not known for being direct or upfront.

They could have just lied and said the job was filled.
Trinley

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wangdaning wrote:
Well, I wouldn't really want to work at a place located in 宁波老外滩 . I also wouldn't expect anywhere in that location to not be racist (oops, double negative).

I'm curious what you mean. I know it looks like the word foreigner is in there, but I believe the meaning is old outer bank, 外滩 meaning embankment or bund. 外滩 is what they call The Bund in Shanghai.
Zimmer

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably get flamed and trolled for this but I think it's more just a business decision than racism on the school's part.It's market forces. Like it or not most schools need to make a profit, and some teachers are more likely to put bodies on seats than others, sometimes this is based on their skin color.

It's no secret that a white face is often seen as being more desirable to the average English school student than someone who isn't Caucasian. It's not fair but it's the reality of the situation. If the school feels your friend's friend won't attract students because of his or her color, regardless of their ability, then why would they hire that person and lose money by doing it?
roadwalker

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"At least they are being upfront about it" does NOT equal condoning racism. At least I didn't take it that way. OP, you wouldn't have had anything to write about if the school wasn't upfront. They could have quietly trashcanned your friend's inquiry and gave bs excuses to any questions. At least the blatant racism means that it can be confronted, such as by posting here and other forums. Thanks for posting it, btw.
Trinley

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zimmer wrote:
I'll probably get flamed and trolled for this but I think it's more just a business decision than racism on the school's part.It's market forces. Like it or not most schools need to make a profit, and some teachers are more likely to put bodies on seats than others, sometimes this is based on their skin color.

It's no secret that a white face is often seen as being more desirable to the average English school student than someone who isn't Caucasian. It's not fair but it's the reality of the situation. If the school feels your friend's friend won't attract students because of his or her color, regardless of their ability, then why would they hire that person and lose money by doing it?

I wouldn't flame you for that. That is actually the most intelligent reply yet and probably an accurate assessment of the situation. I do believe that condoning racism is a problem though.

I worked for two schools in Nanjing that both hired black teachers. There was no problem with attendance at either of these schools. If the teacher was good, the students knew it and appreciated it.

By the way, I've read 3 times now the statement that racism is not news or not a secret. Can a situation only be mentioned if it was previously unheard of? Whether it's been told twice or a thousand times, examples of discrimination should be called out again and again until change happens.
Trinley

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roadwalker wrote:
"At least they are being upfront about it" does NOT equal condoning racism. At least I didn't take it that way.

That's fine. I will agree to disagree with this opinion.
wonderingjoesmith

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Javelin of Radiance wrote:
I obviously wasn't supporting racism and I don't think anyone on here is dense enough to draw that conclusion. But at least the school didn't make lame excuses for not hiring your friend and instead of stringing them along just told them up front, we don't want you. That some Chinese schools don't hire people of african or asian descent is not news and other than refusing to work here there isn't much any of us can do about it.
Racism in this country seems to be more widespread than the above suggestion. Talking about it is a good start. World would not have changed with the attitude of "there isn't much any of us can do about it".
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: