Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wishful thinking by a newbie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Londonish

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Wishful thinking by a newbie Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have been ghosting here for a while and now that I am in possession of a shiny new CELTA, I would like the benefit of your collected wisdom.

I lived in Oman for 5 years about 15 years ago. I'd love to return.

I have a new CELTA, an old BA degree and no experience of teaching. I'm fully aware that poses a bit of a problem job hunting in the Gulf. Given that most jobs require at least 2 years post CELTA experience, I am planning to get that experience in East Asia.

However..... is the 2 year experience requirement set by the Ministry or by recruiters? Does it make a difference whether it is a University job or with one of the Language schools/institutes? And is there any of the 'flexibility' that I recall from days gone by? Perhaps standards may drop closer to the start of term?

If the 2 year experience requirement is set in stone, what can I do over the next 2 years to make sure that I am at the top of the recruitment list when my time comes? Should I look for particular types of work experience and further training?

I don't think I am wearing rose-tinted glasses but my memories of Oman are (mostly) positive. Any advice you can offer to speed my return would be welcome.

Thanks,
Londonish
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Wishful thinking by a newbie Reply with quote

Londonish wrote:
I have a new CELTA, an old BA degree and no experience of teaching. I'm fully aware that poses a bit of a problem job hunting in the Gulf. Given that most jobs require at least 2 years post CELTA experience, I am planning to get that experience in East Asia.

However..... is the 2 year experience requirement set by the Ministry or by recruiters? Does it make a difference whether it is a University job or with one of the Language schools/institutes? And is there any of the 'flexibility' that I recall from days gone by? Perhaps standards may drop closer to the start of term?

If the 2 year experience requirement is set in stone, what can I do over the next 2 years to make sure that I am at the top of the recruitment list when my time comes? Should I look for particular types of work experience and further training?

Is your BA degree relevant to TEFL? Is so, then head to Asia to gain those critical years of experience preferably at a university or vocational institute. However, if it's unrelated to EL teaching, you might be out of luck. You'll see a couple of recent threads within this forum about employers and/or the Ministry of Higher Ed requiring a relevant degree. (Don't count on standards for teachers "dropping" close to the start of the academic year.) Check out the current job ads to see what quals are needed---do an Internet search on tefl oman for postings. But basically, a TEFL-related MA + teaching experience at the university level will short-list you for opportunities.
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact the institutes - they are your best chance of entry. Some employ teachers for the summer so I'd try now. The worst that can happen is they don't take you.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just check the job sites and apply. I've been here nearly three years and have met plenty of teachers with non-relevant degrees, no tefl qualifications or just weekend/online qualifications and no experience!

The Colleges of Higher Technology always have trouble recruiting, they were very short of teachers several weeks into the first semester this year.
Londonish

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your advice.

As I recall, Oman pretty much shuts down in August. Is that still the case is there good/better time to start looking for work there? I do intend to start looking straight away but am curious as to whether recruiting is done on an ongoing basis or with term time in mind. I suppose it depends on the institution?

Thanks again.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The organized organizations will have done their hiring for September. It normally is done starting in March. If you are interested in a September start, I would apply immediately. It takes a few months from application to interview to paperwork for visa to getting there.

There is also hiring for second semester which is what you will be applying for if you don't start until August.

That said, there is quite a bit of turnover with the recruiters so that there may be a few teachers picked up at odd times. Watch their ads...

If you get no response to your applications, it means that you need to get some experience on your CV.

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the recruiters for the MOHE have yet to issue contracts and will be looking for people soonish. I know that about half of the non-Arabic ex-pats are leaving from where I work...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: