Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CRAP JOB IN A WARZONE
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curbcrawler

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: CRAP JOB IN A WARZONE Reply with quote

http://www.tefl.com/jobs/job.html?jo_id=56841

Are there any nutcases working in libya AT THE MOMENT?
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Yes, me. I'm on rotation, direct-hire (no middleman) doing a 6 and 3 and have been doing this for many years. There are plenty of crap jobs on offer right now for sure. However, mine is well-paid.
Salalah Man

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: CRAP JOB IN WARZONE Reply with quote

I would work in Tripoli if they offered a bit more money. Almost all the agents advertising seem to be keeping most of the swag for themselves. A teacher should be saving well over two grand a month. When they're not killing each other, Libyans are a nice people. I lived there for over four years and I thought teaching there was a bit better than the Gulf. Libyans seem a bit more cognitively aware and the students often study for the Cambridge exams, which motivates both them and the teacher.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

I agree with you Salalahman...the students in Libya tend to be 'better'. The 'hire and fire' culture of the Gulf is absent as well.

I must say, you want to be earning at least 3KGBP with at least 3 trips home a year to even consider the place and that's living in Tripoli. Desert gigs require at least 6 on 3 off as they are in truly harsh environments, especially at the older/100% Libyan company locations.

What's being offered right now reflects greed and a lack of awareness about the situation there. Lang Sols, Swan Training et al are simply taking the pish with their offers

Freedom does not mean you can do exactly what you want. The place is pretty lawless and according to the embassies a terrorist threat now exists. Not so much in Tripoli, but in the East there is and has always been a kind of low level anti-foreigner thing going on I think. Certainly local colleagues resent our salaries and can also get chippy in the work place. There were 5 bombs in Benghazi this month in 1 week.
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most disturbing aspect is that Swan Training et al will likely have few problems in filling their crappy positions. TEFLers seem to take an almost masochistic delight in knocking holes in their own canoes.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Usually it's the old who have limited cash and limited options....and the gullible, who believe it's like Dubai. Living in Tripoli would drive me mad as there really is nothing to do there at all after the first few days.

In the oilfield the rotation is the key as it allows people to earn decent cash and spend up to half the year elsewhere. Without the rotation, no-one would go there.

The salaries being touted right now are simply disgraceful.
CANDLES

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep... British Council, IH paying around �1000-�1300 in Tripoli! and they say it's safe.!
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Screw that.
teachr

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately there are a lot of people with limited options. I've applied to similar jobs out of interest. Yet to receive a reply.
curbcrawler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFS

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=28551
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An hourly 20 Dinars (=UK�10) ? To go and live in Libya ? Hourly-paid rate to go and work in Libya ? To go and work ANYWHERE ?

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=28551

Even the awful BELL contracts during Qaddafi's time were not as bad as that !

Are the Brit Council really paying only �1000 a month ? You can do better than that ! PM me for my thoughts on working in or near Tripoli.

Last edited by scot47 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one:

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=28579

Centre Manager position paying $3000 a month with SHARED accommodation in BENGHAZI!

Where do I sign ....... ?
JustinC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PattyFlipper wrote:
Another one:

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=28579

Centre Manager position paying $3000 a month with SHARED accommodation in BENGHAZI!

Where do I sign ....... ?

And there's the bonus that as well as managing the office, developing the curriculum, coordinating enrolments and your colleagues' teaching assignments, you're also teaching "Approximately 15 teaching hours per week". So you get to play boss, teacher, secretary, salesman and personal assistant (to yourself) all at the same time. Priceless.
babur

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: entrepreneurship Reply with quote

The exact same entrepreneurial spirit you'd find yourself working under in Europe at

Berlitz, Inlingua, English First, Wall Street Institute, London School of English, Direct English, MacDonalds, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts ....

with no accommodation, flights .....
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

1970's wages on offer......they gotta catch up with the modern world...teachers can go to Jeddah or Dammam and earn $7,500 a month with free housing and have 3 holidays a year with flights. Who'll go to Tripoli or Benghazi for such disgraceful wages? No-one. Recruiters get real. Yes, you want people to do IELTS, so pay the bloody money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: