Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Might head to Brazil

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mardy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Might head to Brazil Reply with quote

I used to live in Vietnam from 1993 to 1997, before returning to Australia and becoming a wage serf. After five years of 9 to 5 work (actually 8:45 to 6:30, but that includes lunch and cybersurfing), with little stimulation outside those hours (TV is getting worse and the city I am is getting to cliquey to enjoy non-violent team sports), I want to move off again.

This time I am thinking about spending a few months in Rio de Janerio. How well can somebody live there if there on (say) $200 a week ?
TexasFish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Brazil the first 2 months of the year. For 200 $US (I assume that you are talking USD not Aussie Bucks) that would be about 2400 Reais a month. You would live like a king. Rio is a bit more expensive than other parts of the country but you could easily get a place a few blocks off Ipanema and have money left to eat and go out a lot. It really depends on your habits...or vices. You could even subsidize it with a few hours of teaching and really live it up.

hope that helps
greg83

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the currency exchange rate is now a little over 3 Reais to 1 US dollar. So, $200US would be about $625 or so Reais. I lived in Brazil back in 2000 for about a year and whether you could live on that amount would depend to a large extent on how much you were spending on a place to stay. I had an apartment in a medium-sized city about four hours from Rio and it was around $400 Reais a month including a condominium fee. I'm not sure of the rates in the city of Rio now.
Jeffrey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$200.00 USD? That should go far depending on the exchange rate (usually 3 to 1). Rio can be more expensive than most other parts of Brazil, and more dangerous. I recommend living at one of the beaches in the north or in Santa Caterina in the south, and just visiting Rio for a short time. Your dollar will go further in non turisty cities. Rio is a very cool city, but Brazil has so much more to offer than just Rio. The last time I went, we (my Brazillian wife and I) exchanged our $1000.00 USD for $4000.00 reis! After 3 months, we had alot of money left over. We couldn't spend it fast enough! Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: