Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Samsung Galaxy Beam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pr455

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Samsung Galaxy Beam Reply with quote

This is a smartphone with a built in projector. Here is alink to the youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa_cooyJfUI

I am thinking of how I can use this in my classes, but, first, I have to see the price, hehe. When I saw it, I automatically thought about English teaching and how this could be used to enhance my teaching with videos and the ability to show it on a wall as opposed to a tablet device.

So, here is the question, do you see yourself using this in your English classes, especially for people who give small group classes and who are working in schools where access to technology is very difficult?

I am looking forward to your input and having a healthy discussion about this.

Shawn
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on the software that comes with it - most smartphone software isn't designed for a multi-user experience.

Interface is an issue.

As a mobile presenter, OK. I'll never use one though - I have no need for it. I'd also be a little concerned about the brightness of the projector. I get the impression that the lamp is weak - weak enough, perhaps, to make viewing a noticeable problem even in a room with the lights off and blinds down.

Basically, I would prefer a pico projector with an independent power supply and a netbook-grade laptop over that phone any day. The only saving grace might be the price of the phone, but I would expect it to be sufficiently high enough for the phone company to 'mask' its true cost by working it into a contract.
pr455

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Monkey,

Thanks for your reply and some of the potential problems that you have presented, I have been reading about as well. It's amazing how it looks great on the commercial, but then again, everything looks great and works to perfection in a commercial. Laughing

I was really looking at it because it would be one piece and not two that I would have to hook up and carry atound with me. I am looking to see what other reviewers say and I can wait for the technology to ge better.

Get this, in Madrid, in a lot of companies, you can't even get access to a laptop, not even to mention a screen or a projector. This is why I posed the question on this forum. I know that it dpepends on where you teach in the world and if the technology is readily available in your classroom.

Thanks again and I look forward to what others have to say as well.

Shawn
edd_moseley

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Galaxy Beam Reply with quote

I had a chance to play with one last month as i was also thinking about using one in the classroom, more along the lines of last minute/ random topic presentation device.

On the software side of things, it would be a very capable device, as it was running the newest version of android - Jellybean. And with the way technology is going, everything on the cloud, etc. I really think this is the future of presentation devices.

.....HOWEVER.... Mr_monkey's impression is right. The lamp is too weak, you would need zero light coming in the room, then after that the screen size is only around 40 inches. So i think its best to wait a little longer until the brightness improves, then i think i will be adding one to the shopping cart.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: cool kit Reply with quote

Thanks edd_moseley, for bumping this thread back to the top. A very interesting concept in a mobile phone, for sure, and potentially useful for an ESL teacher. I wonder, though, how the 2000 mAh battery would hold up after a couple hours of continual use. With a brighter lamp, it would be even more of a concern. If they were to throw in a 3300 mAh battery (like the Motorola RAZR MAXX) I'd take a serious look at it.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A member has just been permanently banned for referring to other members as "idiots."

Such a reference is not consistent with civil discussion.

We don't want this kind of behavior here or the persons that post such comments.

Please advise the Mod Team of any and all inappropriate postings.

We are more than happy to do our job.

Really, we are. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: