Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Residente Permanente Visa

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidmsgi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Residente Permanente Visa Reply with quote

Today I picked up my new Residente Permanente visa.
I was told that it is a permanent visa, with no need for future renewal.
The cost was 1,000 pesos for the application, and then another 3,800 pesos once the visa was approved - 4,800 pesos total. It took about six weeks to obtain from start to finish, with 3 visits to Immigration.

It is green in color - my teaching associates congratulated me on getting my "Mexican green card."

It says "este documento acredita situacion migratoria regular en Mexico y permite entradas y salidas multiples." So I am entitled to unlimited passage from and re-entry back into the country.

I am a US citizen married to a Mexican citizen, and I have been living here for 2+ years on an FM-2 Inmigrante Familiar visa. My wife was my "sponsor", I have never needed a company or employer to help me with an FM-3 like many I've read about on the forum. I started working as an English teacher almost immediately after my arrival in Mexico. I work full-time as a Primary/Secondary English teacher at a private Colegio.
We have never been asked for any financial information, no "points" system was ever mentioned, so my wife's citizenship and my "familiar" status on my FM-2 seemed to open the door to an "automatic" permanent resident status based upon the criteria under the new laws.

I have been reading the forum and thought this information might be of interest to everyone trying to understand and interpret the new laws.
In a nutshell, if you've been in country for 2+ years on an FM-2, and are married to a Mexican citizen, you get an easy visa "upgrade" under the new laws. I feel pretty fortunate, and my school is thrilled because my visa and right to work status will never be an issue in the future. The new laws seemed to really reward the "family" connections, and make things harder for just about everyone else as near as I can tell.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. I used to always be up to date on the laws, in a previous job I often took people to Immigration for their FM3, usually, and occasionally an FM2. Does this visa allow you to work at anything you want, even jobs that could be considered jobs that could be done by a Mexican? Are there any limits on how often you can leave, or how long you can be out of the country? I think there was a limit in the past (?) Really just idle curiosity on my part, but would be interesting to know. It does sound like that is a LOT easier than a work visa, must be a relief for you!
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to the OP. I have been waiting to change my No Inmigrante lucrativa to Residente Permanente for 6 weeks and have yet to be notified to return to INM in Mexico City for step 2 of the process. When I went to INM 2 weeks ago, I was told that it could take at least another month, probably more, before I could expect to be told to return to INM. Maybe if I were married to a Mexican I'd have my card by now.
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does this visa allow you to work at anything you want, even jobs that could be considered jobs that could be done by a Mexican? Are there any limits on how often you can leave, or how long you can be out of the country?

My opinion- I don't think the rule you spoke of was ever part of Mexican Law. There was a limitation, and probably still is, that an employer could not have more than 10% of his work force made up of foreigners, without obtaining special permission. Those with permanent resident status must submit a tramite to INM, each time they change employers, and would no longer need to do annual renewals, based on their work.

So far as I can tell, there is no limit on how long you can be out of the country, unlike the former FM2, which limited you to two years of the last five out of the country. More than that could put your renewal of the FM2 in jeopardy, but should have no impact on the new permanent resident status.

There is one question I don't have much of a feel for, but it's not one you asked: what is the situation with someone who gets a permanent resident status based on income from abroad, or substantial assets abroad (the former Rentista status)? Are they then free to take a position, with notice to INM? I've not read anything in the law, or elsewhere, that I thought specifically addresses that question. I would tend to think that, unless the new laws forbid it, it is permitted.

One of the reasons I wanted to become a permanent resident as fast as possible was to have the flexibility it gives me to do any work, or take any position, without having to apply for permission from INM. The new status does not, however, make me a Mexican, so I will be treated as a foreigner, for employment and other purposes. (This is important to those with retirement income from abroad, as there is an exemption for this income, for foreigners, written into Mexican Tax Law.) It also does not change the fact that I'm a foreigner when it comes to the employer being in the clear to hire me. I expect the cautious ones will continue to get INM approval for them to hire, on a case by case basis (not having been on that side of the equation I'm totally unfamiliar with how this all looks to the employer).
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
Congratulations to the OP. I have been waiting to change my No Inmigrante lucrativa to Residente Permanente for 6 weeks and have yet to be notified to return to INM in Mexico City for step 2 of the process. When I went to INM 2 weeks ago, I was told that it could take at least another month, probably more, before I could expect to be told to return to INM. Maybe if I were married to a Mexican I'd have my card by now.

I know a couple of single men you could marry, haha, a green card marriage in reverse. It does sound like the family tie makes it easier.
notamiss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here�s a little historical note. When I came to Mexico with my Mexican husband (15 years ago) I was granted an FM2 visa, but with family dependent status � I didn�t have permission to work, and had to apply for that permission separately on my own merits. On the other hand, there are posts in this forum by men with Mexican wives who were granted familiar FM2 visas, who had permission to work right off the bat. Although there was nothing explicit about it in the regulations, it looks as though automatic permission to work was gender-dependent: if you are a man, you were assumed to be the breadwinner and you didn�t have to make separate application for lucrativo status.

I wonder how that will play out in the new system.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
Isla Guapa wrote:

I know a couple of single men you could marry, haha, a green card marriage in reverse. It does sound like the family tie makes it easier.

Thanks, but not thanks. I don't think even a sham marriage between me and a Mexican man has a decent chance of working out Wink . I'll maintain my soltera status and just be patient and wait for INM to get to my application.
davidmsgi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immigration has never asked me anything about my employment, not when I was on an FM-2, and not during the recent process of obtaining the Permanent Resident visa.

I did obtain persona fisica status with SAT, so that I could use facturas to bill a company for English classes. I taught company classes, using facturas to bill my "client", for almost 2 years before securing the full-time position at my Colegio.

But I was told when I obtained my original FM-2 familiar visa that I was free to work anywhere, and do anything I wanted for employment. They didn't seem to care whether I worked, or where. The only notification they seemed concerned about receiving was change of ADDRESS, not changes in employment. I'm guessing that my "family" connection kept me from a lot of scrutiny regarding my employment - but I can only guess.
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things I read, sorry I can't take the time to look it up just now, I'm supposed to be working, said that perminant residency implied permission to work.

I will be picking mine up soon and I intend to ask them about these two topics, because I plan to be out of the country from September to January, and I might change jobs after that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: