Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding work in Madrid for Oct/Nov
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
frijolita

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Finding work in Madrid for Oct/Nov Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am thinking of doing a TEFL course in October. Does anyone know what the job market is like in November in Madrid? Do you think I would have a better shot at finding something by doing the course in Sept and looking for a job in Oct? I have heard back from one person they were very helpful but I thought I would get more opinions. Any advice would be most welcomed. (I know all about the work visa stuff)

Cheers!

Frijolita
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Madrid Reply with quote

Given the high turnover of EFL teachers, you shouldn't have any problems finding work in November. Obviously, the sooner you do the course, the sooner you'll start earning. If you find work with a company that pays an end-of-contract gratuity, you'll get more money.
frijolita

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: work in Spain Reply with quote

Thanks grahamb! I thought that might be the case.

Ciao!
Frijolita Wink
Libs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Finding work in Oct / Nov Reply with quote

Maybe Grahamb is right but I'm not so sure.
The school year here starts in Sept - Oct, so by November the course is well under way. Most schools have their staff organised before the course even begins (early September at the latest usually). If I were you I'd take the TEFL course in early summer and get CV's sent off in August.
Of course I may be mistaken, it's a few years since I looked for a job. I realise that lots of 'teachers' disappear overnight, but are there really that many of them? Are there really that many jobs available in November? I haven't had that experience.
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Jobs Reply with quote

Certainly there are fewer jobs in November, but it shouldn't be difficult to find work in the cities. Teachers come and go all the time.
Whitney Davies

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hola Frijolita,

There are jobs in Madrid all year round. I tend to agree with Graham re: English teachers come and go. I took my TEFL course in March and my roommate did hers in November. We both found jobs immediately. While its true that the school year runs from Sept-June (around the third week), there is always a big demand for English teachers.

I guess its a matter of how your TEFL school helps you get started. You have to get those interviews and your job interview skills come into play soon after! Make sure you get enough info on how exactly your school will assist you in finding a job.

Hasta luego ,

Whitney
Joan Mitchell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a winter TEFL course taker and the only problem I had was the cold! It can be cold in Madrid during the winter but all the travelling between teaching assignments made it bearable! That�s because I took the Metro (heating on!) all the time and all the companies had full blast central heating in the classrooms!

Spring is superb and summer is a totally different cup of tea! But not to worry Madrid is a fun city, really great for having a good time!

joan
frijolita

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Spain job search Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Muchas gracias for the feedback Very Happy I heard about the winters in Spain. I am from New England so I have braved quite a few winters here. I think I will be okay Wink I am going to apply to EBC, they seem to have a lot of good resources.

Anyone out there know any Guatemalans working in Spain? I am Guatemalan/American just wondering, that's all.

Thanks again! Feliz fin de semana! Cool

Ciao!
Frijolita Wink
anthyp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frijolita wrote:
Anyone out there know any Guatemalans working in Spain? I am Guatemalan/American just wondering, that's all.

Unfortunately you just missed this Guatemalan/ Puerto Rican - American, who took his TEFL course in Barcelona during October.

I really don't look Spanish, but most people assumed I was. Though when I opened my mouth, it became obvious to everyone that I wasn't! They were interested in where I came from, but in a slightly dismissive way - as if to say, "Oh, wasn't that a Spanish colony once?"

But it was all good. Spaniards are O.K., not the friendliest people I've ever met, but they won't look down on you or anything because you're from South America (maybe more because you're American!).

Speaking Spanish will help you fit in, and earn the local's respect. They'll be interested in your accent and that can help start conversations!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
grahamb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Latin Americans in Spain Reply with quote

There are thousands of Latin Americans in Madrid. Ecuadorians and Colombians have a bad reputation because of their association with crime, especially drugs and gang wars. It's a minority of course, but you know how people get labelled. Needless to say, some Spanish folk are prejudiced against them.
Apart from Mexicans, I met very few Central Americans.
What amazed me was the amount of Rumanians, Poles, Russians and Ukrainians there.
frijolita

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is always the few bad ones that give that us latins a bad reputation. I pretty much look latina though I have been mistaken for Philippino many times. I have heard about the Spanish and how some might be a little racist towards the latins. I know that not everyone is that way and there are soooo many other people out there Very Happy

Thanks everyone for your comments!
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Latin Americans in Spain Reply with quote

There are also plenty of supermarkets selling Latin Americans produce in Madrid, so your stomach will feel at home there!
Victoria Morley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I�ve been teaching in Madrid for almost a year now and I�ve experienced the big hiring seasons, mid Sept and January. I guess it all depends on the money companies are given to spend on employee perks/benefits, ie: language training.

Many corporations in Madrid give English classes as a perk and as such some have the biggest need for teachers during the start of the year when the yearly budget is released.

After the Sept/Oct season, the next big hiring time is around the second week of January. In Spain the 26th of Dec or the 31st of Dec are not the Christmas holidays end dates , no, no, the party ends after the 6th of January, The Three Kings.

This can be good for English teachers because we can go home for Christmas/New Year then back in Madrid right after the 6th of Jan and off to work.

Cheers,

victoria
lozwich

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Frijolita,

Will your Guatemalan citizenship help with getting a visa? Is there some kind of working arrangement where citizens of ex-Spanish colonies can come to Spain and work legally?

Love the avatar by the way! Too cute!!

Good luck,
Lozwich.
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Cute... Reply with quote

... but not as cute as you, Lozwich! The short hair... those big blue eyes... that smile!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: