Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Must Have in KSA !
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
intrepid traveler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You say that as if it is something unusual or uncommon...

I do no such thing. I say it as if I find it amusing that one who made a "rule" against preying on the newly-sober turned out to be a predator himself.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee... a male predator... I'm just shocked? Don't see what that has to do with booze.

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think "Step 13" was ever written down or formally adopted by GSO.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Thirteenth Step (a.k.a. Thirteenth Stepping):
There is no thirteenth step in the AA program. This term is used as a euphemism for inappropriate sexual advances by a member to a newcomer in AA (such as sponsors toward sponsees). Sponsors ought never be sexually involved with those whom they sponsor. This is why it is usually suggested that (heterosexual) newcomers choose sponsors of the same sex, thereby avoiding the temptation. Also, it is sometimes suggested that newcomers not enter into new relationships for at least a year after getting sober. The reason being that sexual relationships are prone to elicit emotional extremes, making relapse more likely. The term 'thirteenth stepping' is always used in a negative sense."

And it's the name of a bar in the East Village, NY:

http://www.nycbestbar.com/13thstep/

Regards,
John
intrepid traveler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am aware that there is officially no 13th step, as should have been evident by my previous post.

Quote:
Alright then, I find it amusing! I also find it amusing that the venerable Doctor was a philandering adulterer even after he sobered up and even though he was the author of the unwritten 13th Step.

And VS, oh all-knowing one, it has a lot to do with booze in the context of AA. One does not prey on vulnerable newcomers to the program.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

intrepid traveler wrote:
And VS, oh all-knowing one, it has a lot to do with booze in the context of AA. One does not prey on vulnerable newcomers to the program.

After 60 or so years dealing with male predators, one notices that booze isn't required... but only makes it more offensive...

VS
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear intrepid traveler,

" . . it has a lot to do with booze in the context of AA . . ."

What "booze?" None of the AA meetings I've been to ever served it Very Happy.

Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't serve it at AA here either ! Not everyone in AA is a prohibitionist or in the Anti-Saloon League though ! In fact AA in the States grew out of the failure of the Volstead Act.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volstead_Act

Which brings me back to Elliot Ness !
Captain Willard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but the link to the website is for brewing, not distilling. According to this import guide, only alcohol and "distillation apparatus" are banned:
https://verigates.bureauveritas.com/wps/wcm/connect/68534677-0e1b-4c18-af27-e2d8ebace368/SAUDI+ARABIA++-+Import+Guide+01+-+Banned+and+restricted+products+Ed.+2.0.pdf?MOD=AJPERES
Brewing kits would appear to be legal. One retired military type I know claims to import brewing supplies regularly clearing Saudi customs, although he clearly has big wasta. Can anyone find the original customs rules in Arabic to check this translation?

I am also curious about any problems with mouthwash containing alcohol. I have bought it in KSA in the past in stores, as well as crossed the border with it without incident. Has anyone had a problem importing mouthwash?

Wilsonthefarmer wrote:
scot, how do you bring this machine to the Magic Kingdom?
If the Saudi custom officer asks you about the machine in the airport, what do you say to him? Laughing

The lashes aren't intended to be administered all at once. The idea is to spread them out over time in a sadistic way. That doesn't happen to Westerners, although fines are possible. Imprisonment almost never happens either. What happens on the Western compounds is almost always ignored unless someone does something stupid and posts pictures on social media.

Wilsonthefarmer wrote:
I have heard that in the Magic Kingdom if caught brewing alcohol in your house, the punishment is up to 550 lashes (which could kill you! Laughing ) in the Chop-Chop square, plus deportation in the first available flight to Glasgow!
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised that this prehistoric thread has re-emerged. I am happy to report that I am still sober - 28 years after my last use of beverage alcohol.

Good on you Bill W and Dr Bob !
twowheel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
I am surprised that this prehistoric thread has re-emerged. I am happy to report that I am still sober - 28 years after my last use of beverage alcohol.

Good on you Bill W and Dr Bob !

Nice! I am also happy that you are happy to report this. One day at a time, good Sir, one day at a time.

Warm regards,
twowheel
revilo

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meh. I'd rather have a cell phone jammer in my classroom than a still in my apt.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sober since Easter Sunday 1990 but I still have not taken "The 13th Step". I will be 72 on my next birthday. is it too late ? Am I too old ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: