Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Selecting where to apply as a NQT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Augustus

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Selecting where to apply as a NQT Reply with quote

Hello

I've received some really useful advice regarding a application I was proposing to submit to Russia which led me to decide against submission.

I am a newly qualified CELTA certificate holder and suffer with a lack of confidence - as covered in previous threads I struggled quite often through completing my qualification.

Anyway I am looking at two jobs with International House one in Spain (Vallodoid) and Poland (Torun) and just want to be sure they are suitable for me. I guess this is experience that can only be gained in time or through others lol.

So the role in Spain is mainly YL, 24 hrs, 4 day week with Friday reserved for planning/meetings. Timetabling begins at 1pm through to 10pm on two days (8.30 on others). Pay is 1,100 1,200 (around �940 per month) which doesn't sound a lot. Public hols and 10 days at Christmas/Easter. Homestay for 1st week at max cost of 95 EURO, if required. "flexible, committed attitude towards work" a must. Language classes available at reduced cost.

I see that the evening working could be an issue but I would guess this is the norm for the area.

The Poland role states they want someone who is interested in contributing to the schools development through their social programme and other events. 21 contracted hours - mainly 15.45 to 2100 + some business classes in the morning. 1600 - 1875 PLN a month (around �320) which sounds terrible but maybe it allows for a decent living in Poland? They pay return airfare from London - Warsaw. Language classes to survival level.

I've had a look on both the country boards and there is nothing that puts me off applying, up to yet at least.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Aug
Augustus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No-one has anything at all to comment on?! Am I saying the wrong thing or asking too much?

I was hoping for your insights in terms of job description .... I know when I look at job vacancies for my current area of employment there are certain things that would I would lead me to think mmm .... won't bother then as its not right for me but then I know what is "normal"/just isn't mentioned/extra hassle in this type of work.
kpjf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Augustus wrote:
No-one has anything at all to comment on?! Am I saying the wrong thing or asking too much?

I was hoping for your insights in terms of job description .... I know when I look at job vacancies for my current area of employment there are certain things that would I would lead me to think mmm .... won't bother then as its not right for me but then I know what is "normal"/just isn't mentioned/extra hassle in this type of work.

People have lives you know Smile

I don't think Valladolid looks like such a nice city. Quite big but there's not so much and out of all the Spanish cities it would be right down on my list and wouldn't like to live there. I remember in a guide book it said it's the kind of city you'll see once and never ever want to return to. Of course living somewhere compared to working somewhere is different. Plus, some cities nearby are really nice (Segovia, Salamanca) and Valladolid isn't so far away from Madrid. But, it looks like a dull city. Actually, it used to be the capital of Spain a long time ago but since then has fallen from grace. The nickname is actually Fachadollid haha, which is a play on words of facha (Fascist) and Valladolid due to the amount of them there. But, I'm digressing...

Do you speak Spanish? Even a little? In such non-touristy regions the English level will be quite poor. Don't be surprised if you go in the shop and the person literally speaks NO English. But, if you want to learn Spanish I guess it's good practice. However, as you know Spain's in trouble. I don't know if it's such a good choice, unless you like Spanish culture and would like to live there, but I guess, it's just a temporary thing for you, to get a job/experience, right?

By the way, in your title you wrote

Quote:
Selecting where to apply as a NQT

NQT is someone who has just done a PGCE as far as I know.

I don't really know how we can answer if they will be suitable...? How? Related to your lack of confidence? Based on the salary? You can just try numbeo.com for figures to see how the salary compares to cost of living. Spain's not that expensive.

In terms of the job ending at 10pm that would be annoying for me, but that's Spain and probably the case in most places in this country.

Last edited by kpjf on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
tttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NQT ??

I thought from your previous posts that you only had a (recently completed) CELTA?

Do you in fact hold a B.Ed / PGCE or any other undergraduate degree (bachelor of ?? )?

It really does make a huge difference in what you can do, where you can go and how much you can earn.

Augustus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies, loads of people have viewed the post but no-one answered.

I hold a BSc Psychology (Hons) degree and have recently gained a celta certificate. I have experience of (mental health) adult residential care i.e I am responsible to be left in charge and some experience of working with children.

It would most definitely be temporary/to gain experience - got to get the first job etc so willing to accept that it won't be perfect. At least I won't be paying for the privilege of being placed in the country/school!

I was hoping Spain would be warm and have a nice (welcoming) culture to begin my career there ....... maybe not. I speak no Spainish at all but am keen to learn.

I'm asking really if anyone can see any issues in the job spec - does it sound suitable for a beginner? Can I manage on that salary? Anyone any experience of either of these countries? I know literally nothing about them (apart from Google/wiki) and holiday to the Costa del Sol when it was all the rage so any information would be useful.

Thanks
Aug
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Augustus,

I think it is probably your use of the term "NQT" that is confusing people. You seem to be using it to refer to yourself as newly qualified by means of your CELTA course. But, in fact, it means something quite specific, and has nothing at all to do with a CELTA or other TEFL cert. It would not apply to you unless you are licensed to teach in Britain. I'll leave it to a Brit to explain their licensing process, or you can just search it out yourself--there is plenty of info easily available. I'm just not very knowledgeable about the process myself.

(I just noticed that kpjf has already addressed this upthread.). Smile

Perilla

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be better off posting on the Newbie forum, or on the Spain and Poland forums.

International House (often known as IH) is a generally well respected private language institute, so unless there's some particular reason why Valladolid isn't a good place to work it's probably quite a good starting point in Spain, with at least an average salary. But you won't get rich TEFLing in Spain - or Poland. Or anywhere for that matter!
kpjf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was hoping Spain would be warm and 2have a nice (welcoming) culture to begin my career there ....... maybe not. I speak no Spainish at all but am keen to learn.

From Frommer's guidebook:

Quote:
Valladolid is bitterly cold in winter, sweltering in summer. Today, after centuries of decline, the city is reviving economically and producing, among other things, flour, ironware, and cars. Consequently, it's polluted and noisy, and older buildings have been replaced by more modern, utilitarian ones, although many attractions remain.

Comparing Valladolid to the Costa del Sol would be like comparing apples and oranges; they're both fruits - like the two places are both in Spain, but quite different. If you'd prefer a Costal del Sol type place you're better off in the south of Spain. Also, if it's sun you're after, again the south is better for that. Valladolid is covered completely by mountains and quite far away from the sea which makes for a really dry and hot summer. From Wikipedia: "Nueve meses de invierno y tres de infierno" which means 9 months of winter and 3 months of hell!

As for the salary I think it's about the average for this kind of work in Spain and you could easily live on that in this country, well, I could at least. However, I would look for another Spanish city personally. http://gospain.about.com/od/regionsofspain/tp/worse_cities_in_spain.htm.

My old boss told me people from Castilla y Le�n (the region where Valladolid is in) are a little reserved and not so friendly and open. But, it's a start and Valladolid is known for its very clear and "pure" Spanish accent.
Augustus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol thanks for your input, I've also joined a ex-pat forum where I have been researching about the country. It would certainly be different to what I am accustomed too Wink But I went back today and the ad (and the one for Poland) has been taken down so it looks like I wasn't quick enough ;(

Never mind I've found more jobs on TEFL.com so we shall see!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: