Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No jobs unless your degree is in English
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laylow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: No jobs unless your degree is in English Reply with quote

I was recently hired by a school in Saudi Arabia via a recruiter. The recruiter recently provided me with a contact number for an agency who is suppose to assist me in obtaining a visa. I contacted this visa agency and they have informed me that the Saudi embassy recently (a month ago) stopped approving 'employment visas' for teachers if the degree is not in English! Yet according to this agent they will provide a 'work visit visa' for such teachers who don't have a degree specifically in English. I asked if the work visit visa was the same as what many teachers refer to as a business visa and she said it wasn't. She also stated that a work visit visa doesn't require a physical which is why I asked if it was the same as a business visa. Finally she said that if granted a work visit visa, the embassy has the power to determine how long you can work in Saudi Arabia. In other words once the time for the work visit visa ends, it can't be renewed.

She also stated the embassy only processes visa apps that they receive via a visa agency and not ones which have been sent to them directly by the prospective teacher.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? If true, I am pretty bummed out not only because my degree is not in English, but also the fact that I may have paid for a physical that I didn't have to.

As always, feel free to PM me.
rollingk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be no uniformity of Saudi Embassies throughout the world, so it may depend upon the particular one in your home country.

About a month ago the American version was insisting that I go thru the authentication process with their cultural mission on my BA English degree, despite having had my Masters of TESL (from an in-the-classroom, accredited institution) authenticated. The Embassy refused 3 times before finally relenting and accepting the specialized graduate degree.

There was no sense in this; I assume they were just following instructions to a fault.

I think if I had not had a visa agent and if my prospective employer hadn't also been involved, then the first refusal would have been the end of the story.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both have been reported here. Visa agents are now mandatory for most Saudi Embassies. The "Degree in English" seems to be a phenomenon in Canada and PERHAPS in the USA.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe laylow is American. It sounds as though this phenomenon is spreading. Of course, once they find out how few hires they will be able to find, it will likely change, but for now, not much anyone can do.

VS
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollingk wrote:
There seems to be no uniformity of Saudi Embassies throughout the world, so it may depend upon the particular one in your home country.

About a month ago the American version was insisting that I go thru the authentication process with their cultural mission on my BA English degree, despite having had my Masters of TESL (from an in-the-classroom, accredited institution) authenticated. The Embassy refused 3 times before finally relenting and accepting the specialized graduate degree.

There was no sense in this; I assume they were just following instructions to a fault.

I think if I had not had a visa agent and if my prospective employer hadn't also been involved, then the first refusal would have been the end of the story.

I had the same problem over authentication of my degree. My employment visa all of a sudden arrived unexpectedly five months later. The degree that gave me problems was issued by a major research institution. The embassies really are oddballs.
Deeman15

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard the UK and every other country is to follow soon. It seems to be a very odd and badly thought out strategy. About 37 % of the population is below the age of 14, and those under 25 make up 51% !! The population is growing, more young people are entering university, more universities and colleges are being established... and at the same time they're tightening the criteria and making it more difficult for universities and recruiters to bring in teachers? They have a difficult enough time as it stands.

Once the established teachers with iqamas leave, others with similar credentials won't be able to replace them. Then the colleges and universities will be half empty and perhaps they'll realize what they did.
Voyeur

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this policy demands that a teacher have a BA and an MA, and that BOTH be in a relevant subject, not just the MA?
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The classrooms will soon be manned by Pakistanis and Filipinos.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Is this BS for uni posts or Aramco, BAe etc etc......? Not that I'm going to KSA any time soon (again).
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every batch of CVs that I have ever seen has dozens of US lawyers who want to bteach English, or have already moved from the practice of law to TEFLing. What will they do when KSA enforces this rule ?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyeur wrote:
So this policy demands that a teacher have a BA and an MA, and that BOTH be in a relevant subject, not just the MA?

This isn't entirely clear, but I believe if the MA is relevant, the BA need not be. Most Saudi jobs do not require an MA. Of course it probably depends on which clerk handles the paperwork in the embassy...

VS
Sirens of Cyprus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dozens? How big is the batch?
Sirens of Cyprus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An MS in Physics after only a BA in English would highly suspect. Why should it be any different the other way around? Well, you might argue that a BS in Physics is damn hard. But there is probably nobody in the history of the universe that got an MA in ESL after getting an MS in Physics. It's more likely the unrelated bachelor's is in something like elementary ed or sociology or marketing or recreation, etc. We have all had colleages of this ilk, most of whom don't know the difference between its and it's.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: its and it's Reply with quote

Haaaaa.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ads on Daves and other similar sites will attract many CVs. Well into 3 figures in many cases. Some people seem to apply for every job that is advertised, and use a standard application.

"Esteemed Manager of HR,

I am wishing to working with you........."

Or they are disbarred lawyers from Arkansas. Not quite Clinton., but maybe guys who went to school with him. Naturally on their application they omit the little question of why they left Law and took up EFLing in Utter Slobodia.

You will aslo get the ones who confess to having neither qualifiucations nor experience
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: