Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MOE Teacher training program

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snollygoster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: MOE Teacher training program Reply with quote

Congratulations on a Malaysian forum!
Does this mean that members will again be able to discuss the problems and positives of working on the Malaysian Ministry of Education teacher training program such as discussed at these addresses:
MOD EDIT
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=88991&start=105

MOD EDIT
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=98298
steki47

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also wondering about the other companies that are running this project with the MOE. British Council and a couple of others that I can't remember right now. We heard (a lot) of bad things about one company but are all of them horrible? Is the project inherently flawed across the nation?
snollygoster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Moderation Reply with quote

I guess the fact the querstions were moderated answers my question as to whether we can have a real discussion on the activities of one of the contractors on this project or not.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has always been a moderated board and this condition is agreed to by every member joining the International Board or the Korean Board.

Members that subsequently decide they can no longer abide by this stipulation are free to spend their time elsewhere.

Sometimes this decision is made by the member and sometimes this decision is made by the Mod Team.

In this particular case, one member above is no longer with us and the decision was made by the Mod Team.

Other members wishing to participate in discussion of this thread's topic are welcome to do so.

At the same time, everyone is reminded that posting questions or comments on the public board regarding Moderator decisions is not permitted:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=98298
jobsworth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: other companies Reply with quote

What is most interesting is the lack of comment on this and other forums from British Council employees (career anxiety?). From what I know there are plenty of grievances - one ill judged conference paper by project managers criticising mentors unleashed a flurry of emails; the administrative load is much resented; the idealised project approach is questioned by many (including mentees) and whilst there has been steady fallout of mentors, the BC in true quango style proudly displays 15 overseers/administrators of the project in its organigram.
To be fair, the BC tries to be professional but many of the comments posted elsewhere apply equally to Sabah/Sarawak, particularly regarding the lost opportunity to really make a difference .
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always love it when a snide poster tries to get away with nonsense and then the Mods come in and show that this is a teaching forum, not some sounding board for slandering and poisoning the well. Those guys have given me personally alot of relief over the years. I was waiting for several of the troublemakers to go a step too far even after being warned and it is reassuring, almost liberating, when we can cleanse the forum of troublemaking persons who try to make others feel bad, even hurt peoples' feelings at times.

Thank you to the Mods for keeping this place clean and fair and honest.
kwarning

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: MOE Reply with quote

I worked as a mentor for the �providers� (better not to mention specific companies) on the ELTDP project in Borneo for six months during 2012.

Keeping this brief; I didn�t find the management to be nearly as bad as some other posts indicate. My manager left plenty of room for innovative approaches to the work. Indeed - innovation was essential for success and survival.

The real problems lay in the daily logistics and practicalities of maintaining relationships during weekly visits to five remote, rural schools. Daily journeys of ninety minutes were common, to what were essentially logging towns with schools starting at seven a.m. The roads are dangerous, period.

Bearing in mind that the work was with very young learners (most were ages five - eight), it was interesting to discover that most mentors had very little experience, let alone specific training, with that age group. Any individual with a degree of sensitivity would feel ambivalent about �mentoring� a senior career teacher with thirty years experience in the national system; particularly when compulsorily occupying what had formerly been their free time. (See �Lowlander� posts).

Personally, the most rewarding aspect of the job was time I spent with younger teachers who�d recently been posted to remote schools after completing teacher training. Many of these teachers were from West Malaysia and often appeared to be suffering from mild culture shock. In that situation I recognized genuine need for a mentor and consequently had plenty of ideas to offer. Through collaboration, we achieved productive relationships. Ultimately, six months was enough for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: