Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding the target city
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mzuri

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, MotherF!

Indeed, since I wrote my most recent post, I narrowed things to C'vaca or Ensenada for various reasons. But after doing so, I realized I felt no spark about either choice. You know, "good on paper," but wasn't feeling the chemistry.

So I put out my feelers on a travel forum and got back two ideas that align with the spirit of your response - to really open up the possibilities. (And I especially appreciate your remark about traffic affecting the real-life distance between a city and a chosen home base.)

The two locations are Morelia and Patzcuaro. Something that delights me about Morelia is that not only does it have an international airport, but it's sweetly in the middle of Mexico City, Guadalajara and Queretaro, providing more choices in airfares for visitors and certainly better accessibility for me to explore the entire country while I'm there.

'course, no place is perfect - I wish Patzcuaro were a little larger and at a little lower elevation and Morelia a little smaller ...

Other key words (in addition to climate, airport access, charm) are trees, a sense of place, and socio-economic/age/ethnicity diversity.

I'm going to check out your suggestions, as well.
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mzuri wrote:

The two locations are Morelia and Patzcuaro. Something that delights me about Morelia is that not only does it have an international airport, but it's sweetly in the middle of Mexico City, Guadalajara and Queretaro, providing more choices in airfares for visitors and certainly better accessibility for me to explore the entire country while I'm there.

'course, no place is perfect - I wish Patzcuaro were a little larger and at a little lower elevation and Morelia a little smaller ...

Other key words (in addition to climate, airport access, charm) are trees, a sense of place, and socio-economic/age/ethnicity diversity.

I'm going to check out your suggestions, as well.

Have you been to either of these places?
Morelia probably feels a lot smaller than you are imagining. I find that to be true of all Mexican cities minus the monster (Mexico City that is). They just feel smaller than cities in other countries--maybe due to the small lot size.
If you want something a little lower than Patzcuaro, less over-run with tourists, but even smaller though every bit as quaint, check out Quiroga and TzinTzunTzan. Which are both on the circuit around the lake.
Or lower still Ario de Rosales or Tacambaro. (not on the lake)

It would probably be wise to take a trip. Make Morelia your base and go around to these places and see if you fall in love with any of them.

And on the positive side, cartel activity in Michoacan seems to have calmed down in the last year. Razz
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to beat a name like TzinTzunTzan!

mzuri

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the last exchange, with help from folks here, I'd decided to base myself in Morelia for one month, then explore the nearby communities before choosing where to land for a year.

Lo, then came the recent military occupation of Morelia, for a forthcoming assault against the currently-reigning cartel, and I've received cautions from several Mexicans not to locate myself there at this time.

Whether this perception of elevated danger is justified or not, I don't know, but for now, my default back-up is Cuernavaca.

I'll still be teaching English online, but I'm hopeful that C'vaca might have a niche market for a handful of executive-level business English learners.

I welcome any comments re: Morelia's current and projected environment, Cuernavaca as a place to live for a year, or reality of being able to get appropriate visa for small amount of 1:1 English coaching.
notamiss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came back to this thread, saw your update this year, and I want to elaborate on the the traffic problem. You were looking for something �less than two hours by bus�. Thanks to the traffic, there are plenty of places in Mexico City that are more than two hours from Mexico City for practical purposes (if you see what I mean).
mzuri

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. Thanks.

When I lived in Caucasus Georgia last year, my base was in the city of Rustavi, which is about 30 km from the capital city of Tbilisi. From Rustavi, I could get to the heart of Tbilisi faster than many of my colleagues who lived "in" Tbilisi!

Not only that, I could make my way back to Rustavi via marshrutka (minibus) from Tbilisi as late as midnight, while others who lived in Tbilisi had to leave city center no later than 9:30 or 10:00 if they lived in certain Tbilisi neighborhoods, as neither the metro nor the minibuses ran past then.
22Yossarian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mzuri wrote:
LOL. Thanks.

When I lived in Caucasus Georgia last year, my base was in the city of Rustavi, which is about 30 km from the capital city of Tbilisi. From Rustavi, I could get to the heart of Tbilisi faster than many of my colleagues who lived "in" Tbilisi!

Not only that, I could make my way back to Rustavi via marshrutka (minibus) from Tbilisi as late as midnight, while others who lived in Tbilisi had to leave city center no later than 9:30 or 10:00 if they lived in certain Tbilisi neighborhoods, as neither the metro nor the minibuses ran past then.

How have things worked out for you in Mexico?

I have a strikingly similar background, I worked in a small village near Gori last fall, and got a CELTA in Playa last spring, and now I am in China. I have a job opportunity in Guadalajara for next year that I am mulling over.
mzuri

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@22Yossarian - sorry, just saw your post today ... while I was revisiting Morelia possibility for 2015.

My plan A for 2014 had been to go to Mexico for a year (Cuernavaca specifically), but when I started crunching the numbers for family/friends to visit, it just wasn't realistic vis a vis ticket costs and travel time from the midwest. Because family access was a major driver for 2014, I went in an entirely different direction, which is why I am in one of the coolest places in the U.S. - Lafayette, Louisiana - center of the Cajun/Zydeco universe, cher!

My plan A for 2015 is the Middle East (excluding KSA), but Plan B is looking like Mexico.

I'm thinking my online teaching will be sufficient to sustain me, so I'm no longer so concerned about f2f teaching in Mexico. Proximity to international airport also no longer a primary factor in location.

What remains are: good climate, reliable/fast internet, and amiable surroundings - preferably mountainous or forested. Not a beach person.

Morelia is back on my list. Let me know if you went to Guadalajara and if so, please share how you feel about your decision.
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mzuri wrote:
@22Yossarian - sorry, just saw your post today ... while I was revisiting Morelia possibility for 2015.

My plan A for 2014 had been to go to Mexico for a year (Cuernavaca specifically), but when I started crunching the numbers for family/friends to visit, it just wasn't realistic vis a vis ticket costs and travel time from the midwest. Because family access was a major driver for 2014, I went in an entirely different direction, which is why I am in one of the coolest places in the U.S. - Lafayette, Louisiana - center of the Cajun/Zydeco universe, cher!

My plan A for 2015 is the Middle East (excluding KSA), but Plan B is looking like Mexico.

I'm thinking my online teaching will be sufficient to sustain me, so I'm no longer so concerned about f2f teaching in Mexico. Proximity to international airport also no longer a primary factor in location.

What remains are: good climate, reliable/fast internet, and amiable surroundings - preferably mountainous or forested. Not a beach person.

Morelia is back on my list. Let me know if you went to Guadalajara and if so, please share how you feel about your decision.

I don't know if others may not know. I was not going to respond if someone else did. But, Morelia is going through many changes. Its very dangerous there right now. Its on the news quite a bit in Mexico. Even the military is involved and police have lost control. My fiance's family is from there. And Guadalajara is a place where some of my merchant friends buy their goods from. They say there are many problems there also. If you look on the US consulate site about Mexico it will state as much. Approach situation with caution.
mzuri

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inotu-unotme wrote:

I don't know if others may not know. I was not going to respond if someone else did. But, Morelia is going through many changes. Its very dangerous there right now. Its on the news quite a bit in Mexico. Even the military is involved and police have lost control. My fiance's family is from there. And Guadalajara is a place where some of my merchant friends buy their goods from. They say there are many problems there also. If you look on the US consulate site about Mexico it will state as much. Approach situation with caution.

Thanks, i-u ... My understanding is that things have eased up since last year.

My plan is fluid at the moment, so I'll definitely be keeping tabs on the situation.
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, things have not eased up, unless by "last year" you mean Dec. 31, 2013. Then maybe. But this Jan was a particularly bad month for Michoacan. Crying or Very sad
mzuri

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, MotherF.

Discouraging news.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: