Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Indonesai v. Thailand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregorynhamilton7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Indonesai v. Thailand Reply with quote

Hi everyone ! I'm just getting ready to leave to head to Jakarta. I really had a hard decision deciding between teaching in Indonesai v. Thailand....

Can anyone give me some thoughts in comparing the two...ie. culture...costs of living.....gov't hassles....

Also, was was wondering what to expect as far as issues right now that are important in Indonesia...not just to ESL teachers but to the common folks in the country.

Don't worry...I am usually not this dry....I'll warm up...

I really appreciate any germane advice that may be offered....
gregorynhamilton7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: yeah ...that's impressive Reply with quote

Perhaps Indonesia is what I meant to say...errr...I know how you guys and girls like to rip people for their spelling errors
TEAM_PAPUA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:13 am    Post subject: * Reply with quote

In Indonesia you will have a visa for the complete year unlike in Thailand where you'll have to do regular visa runs to neighboring countries. Understand that the above limits your freedom as your one year visa ties you to your school legally, so if you have any problems you are stuck there.

i.e you turn up at the airport wishing to leave for any reason you will be prevented from leaving until you have the exit stamp permitted from your school (of course this is worse case scenario).

I have travelled worked in Indonesia but only visited Thailand, but I have several friends working there at present, the current understanding is that Thai bureaucracy (spelling?) is a nightmare.

Impossible to answer your questions regarding costs as this depends on the individual. If you like the girls & the beer you'll be working just for your weekends - if you like to travel and are prepared to go native (with a little of the aforementioned) you'll be fine in both places Cool

You should find price comparisons elsewhere on this forum.

Hope this helps.
gregorynhamilton7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Thanks alot for the reply.

Sure, I like the girls and beer but not every night...so the $ should be enough to live on. As for...being kind of chained by the work permit, I suppose that it is a catch -22....in other words.....it is a pain..if things are not so good at the school....but....it is great if things go well at the school, because I will not have to be cruising to wherever to get a new visa every few months.

I really gave Thailand alot of thought......I don't know....maybe it was the "six different answers to the same question" rountine from gov't officials that freaked me a little about Thailand.
Chester

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Thailand or Indonesia Reply with quote

Ask your Embassy which is safer.
Ask any tourist which people are friendlier.
Salaries are a little better in Indonesia, but Thailand is safer and more fun.
I would work in Chon Buri, near the beach in Thailand.
SaiBaba

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ask any tourist which people are friendlier.

I've been a tourist in both Thailand and Indonesia for fairly extensive periods of time. I'd say Indonesians are more frienlier than the Thais by a long shot.
Joachim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to say this, but I think you made the wrong decision.

Money is much better in Thailand, as are ammenities, social aspects, travel options, organisation, shopping, food and freedom.

As TEAM_PAPUA writes, resigning is never an option unless you want to pay a huge penalty fee, and the visa runs you make in Thailand are fun - if you go to Malaysia you can stop in Krabi on the way back, or else chill ot in Vang Vieng (Laos) for a few days.....

I guess the nasi goreng is better in Indonesia, as are the students, Just learn some Bahasa, cause you're there for a year!
TEAM_PAPUA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: * Reply with quote

Better line your stomach with steel before you go as its GORENG everything!!

BTW where are you heading & who are you working for? Just curious.

Let us know how it works out. Cool
Winmar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long are you planning to be in Asia for? If you've got no particular plans (such as to go away for a year, then go home), then you could always do your year in Indo, then go to Thailand afterwards.

Btw, I'm also a Hamilton. Smile
Bedevilled

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked in Thailand as a professional scuba diver then in Bali doing the same thing (..just a side note, but that is hands down the world's coolest job)... anyway, I'm now teaching in North Sumatera and have to say I enjoyed Thailand and I'm glad I went, but don't have any desire to go back and live there. Visit.. sure. For me, anyway, I much prefer Indonesia. To each their own.

Your stomach will be fine. There's lots more to eat than just fried (a.k.a goreng).

It's easy to get around in Indonesia, people are much more open and friendly than the Thai's. As was mentioned before by someone, do make an effort to learn the language, it will go a long way.

The one thing I found about Thailand is that you have to be careful. That place has a way of sucking the life out of you. You get to a point in your life that waking up on the beach in a puddle of your own puke after a full moon party just isn't 'cool' any more. All too often you'll see 40 year old expats that look 60 with dreads picking up 14 year old prostitutes who haven't come to that revelation yet. I was never part of that scene, but lots of people get wrapped up in it. You can get anything you want there in terms of drugs,sex, booze. Cheap and easy and too much of a temptation for a lot of people.

Thailand is pretty cool apart from that though, but I still like Indonesia much better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: