Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Confused about teaching visa/notifying immigration

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eteacher16

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Confused about teaching visa/notifying immigration Reply with quote

Here is my situation. Even though my visa is for 3 years, I only did two years and returned home (without canceling anything). Since the visa is still valid and I kept my gaijincard, can I simply return to japan to start a new (similar) job? And do I have to notify immigration of the job change? How would immigration find out if I chose not to notify them? Thanks.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that upon exiting Japan your visa wasn't cancelled and you were able to retain your ARC suggests you had (had obtained) a re-entry permit. If so, you will be able to re-enter the country no problem. The procedure then will be to go along to your local City Hall once you've got your new address, and employer's details, and have them entered on the back of your ARC (which is where amendments are put). If and when you then need a new visa sponsored, Immigration will be pleased to see from your amended ARC that you've played ball (and it's best to try to keep all the amended details as up to date as possible, if only to help ensure that they keep giving you more than one-year visas i.e. they probably won't refuse a new visa if details are found to be out of date, but they could well just give you only a one-year one as punishment LOL). You don't need to notify them directly of job or address changes AFAIK.
eteacher16

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. I didn't know you had to update your employer details on the ARC.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They give you a little leaflet with your ARC (well, they did with mine, many moons ago) that explains what needs to be updated. Mind you, not everyone can take leave at the drop of a hanko and nip off to their local City Hall during working hours on weekdays (and most are shut at weekends).
thomthom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only grant a 1-year visa? Is that the worst they'll do if your employer details aren't up to date on your visa?
I'm currently working for a different company than stated on my visa but my original employer was making it so difficult for me to get a release letter, I just let it slide. My new company never even checked my visa.
I'm not sure what the ramifications of this might be... I'm assuming I can just let this visa run down to being out of date and then get sponsored by a new employer?
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not sure what the ramifications of this might be... I'm assuming I can just let this visa run down to being out of date and then get sponsored by a new employer?

If you allow your visa to expire before you've found a new sponsor and submitted an application for a new one, you'll be staying in Japan illegally, Thomthom. The penalties for that when exiting or caught can be~are reportedly severe - arrest, imprisonment, detention charges/fees, stiff fines, deportation, bans from re-entering for years (all those things together, I mean). The Japanese do not muck about with this stuff unlike some other countries.

As for not keeping one's current details up to date, I don't know what the worst they could do is, but who knows, maybe they could start to refuse to issue new visas (at least until one complied with their wishes, within strict time limits?). They could also ask for release letters at some point, but again, failure to provide one for every job change might not be too much of an issue (though I may have read a Japan Forum thread not too long ago with reports of a possible or mooted tightening of visa renewal regulations - crossed t's and dotted i's, proof of health insurance, etc. A glance through the first two pages or so of threads should unearth it).

I'm surprised your new employer didn't check your visa. Most companies like to take copies of the relevant passport pages, just so they know when they might need to sponsor a renewal.
thomthom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you allow your visa to expire before you've found a new sponsor and submitted an application for a new one, you'll be staying in Japan illegally, Thomthom.

I would either find a sponsor or leave the country before my visa actually expires, of course. What I'd like to know is, would I require a release letter if I'm trying to have a new visa sponsored/beginning from the date that the previous one expires?
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having a letter of release from each and every employer (I'd changed jobs several times within one year, to escape some bad gigs) wasn't a huge issue when I was getting my visa renewed with a new sponsor. I simply told Immigration that some employers didn't deign to abide by the half of their legal obligations (it is a legal requirement that they should provide letters of release, but not all do, especially when they have quite high turnover of staff generally). Mind you, that was a number of years ago now. But it's surely always best to find new sponsors and renew visas than than to let them expire (certainly, for something as apparently trivial as the lack of the odd release letter).

I assume that an application for a completely new visa nullifies or severs a lot of the paperwork trail, but if your new application were with exactly the same passport and perhaps even to the same Immigration office mere weeks say after leaving the country, they might of course remember you and still have much the same questions as before.

If Japan were that concerned about employees abiding by notice periods etc, they could alter the visa system and make the employer the actual owner of the visa and thus in a very real sense the owner of the employee. Thankfully the current system means you are always free to find better jobs, provided you do your best to give the required notice period, try to get the letter of release, etc. I guess only if you kept presenting yourself year after year for a visa renewal, yet never with a letter of release, would they eventually refuse you LOL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: