Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Celal Bayar University

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carolagrober

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Celal Bayar University Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
Does anyone have any experience working at Celal Bayar University? Any and all info is appreciated.
thanks!
sixthchild

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

,Is that the one in Manisa?
Dedicated

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just there recently on a lecture visit. Yes, Celal Bayar University is in Manisa, about 18 miles from Izmir. It is a state university with about 25,000 students, both undergraduate and postgraduate.

However, it has 3 separate campuses. I went to the College of Education which is in Demirci, about 3 hours from Manisa! There is another campus in Muradiye for Arts and Science and Engineering and one in downtown Manisa.

I was impressed by the facilities (including an Olympic size swimming pool) and the fluency of the Turkish teachers and many of the students.

I cannot give you any more precise details than that.
carolagrober

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. I'm glad to hear you were impressed with the institution.
pennyboo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Celal Reply with quote

Well I haven't anything new to add but I too was hired to the school and would like some info.
carolagrober

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Celal Bayar Reply with quote

Have you been hired to start Septmeber 1st as well?

Also, can anyone tell me what are the normal hours for such prep schools?
pennyboo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. I was hired for September too. They didn't give me a specific day though. I e-mailed the vice-president of the program and she said 25-30 hours per week which is 5-6 hours a day. I also asked her about which levels I would teach and she said all of them. Were you asked to create your own curriculum? I'm new to that and It's a little intimidating. Oh, I asked her about holidays and Christmas in particular. Apparently we would get all Turkish holidays off, but they haven't any "arrangements for Christmas" and it's up to the "institutions discretion." And Christmas falls during the middle of the week; in case you were wondering. Wink
carolagrober

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I interviewed, Dr. Obuz told me they were going to try to have everyone there by September 1. However, that may vary depending on visas. Actual classes don't start until the end of the month. Also, we get 1 month vacation which we can take whenever. I was looking at the university's academic calendar for the year and it doesn't look like there's anything planned for Christmas.
I wasn't asked to create my own curriculum. I assumed, since it's not a new program, that they have their own curriculum which they would want us to follow.
The only thing that worries me is having to find my own housing. I've taught in Korea and there they arrange everything for you. I admit this part intimidates me.
carolagrober

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been able to have your diplomas translated yet?
pennyboo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. I should have mine done by Tuesday? I just finished my tesol cert, so I can't have that translated yet. It was fairly cheap. Just 60 bucks for the bachelors.
As for the curriculum thing, I was just basing that off the job posting. They said nothing about it in the interview.
I have a few friends that are going to try and help me. One is actually from Manisa so I'm hoping she'll be the most helpful. I have another friend that's been living in Istanbul for a few years that's going to help as well. I'll pass along any info.
carolagrober

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'd greatly appreciate it.
louiseamytaylor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey a bit late to reply but......I lived and taught in Manisa for a while and absolutely loved it there. I made some amazing friends (both teachers and students) and look back at that time with happiness. Anyhow, I have loads of contacts for people there if you need any help (work wise of otherwise). You will find the people there generally warm and helpful. If you do need any help just pm me and I will pass your details on Smile
eihpos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I am looking for info on this place -my post would be the same as the OP of this thread so I thought there would be no point in starting a new one!
Any info, especially first - hand, would be really appreciated.
pennyboo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I just returned from Turkey yesterday. I worked there last semester and honestly, I wouldn't recommend working there. It was so bad that the other two native speakers and I left after just one semester. Here's why:

They have no curriculum, the management is in shambles, teachers and students are dissatisfied, they never got my roommates and I our own bank accounts but instead put it in a coworkers account who then gave us the money, etc. I honestly don't have anything positive to say about this program. I'd suggest you apply to a different university in either Istanbul, Izmir, or Ankara. Also, if you haven't taught in Turkey before, it is a VERY different teacher/student culture there and while at the university I had the most disrespectful students I've ever seen. You can PM me for more information if you'd like.
sixthchild

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, done that, give us the goss, if you be so kind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: