Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone lived in Belgorod?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kittymiaz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Has anyone lived in Belgorod? Reply with quote

I have been offered a position in Belgorod but I don't know anyone who has been to this city.
Does anyone have experience with Belgorod?
Also, they have asked me to get a Business Visa. I am concerned about legal issues and also that I would have to leave the country every 90 days (I can't just hop over to Ukraine either as I need an expensive visa to visit Ukraine).
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been to Belgorod, so can't help you there. However, regarding the visa issues, it would certainly be worthwhile finding out what the employers' plans are for regularising your status in the country. Working for a Russian company on a business visa is technically illegal, I am informed. Will they be able to get you a proper visa? Do they expect you to hop over the border? It does happen that schools convert business visas into work visas, sometimes even without the need to leave Russia. But, this is all so risky and problematic, not too shady, that it may be better to look elsewhere for employment which offers the right papers from the start, and has the quotas for foreign employees already organised.
kittymiaz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They only have teachers working on the business visa and doing a visa run every 90 days (which is usually to Ukraine but for me that would be terribly expensive and annoying to apply for the visa every time). They said they are not able to organise work permits.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you, I'd forget them and move on. You are being asked to break the law, and so will be subject to your school's every whim, will not have any entitlements to holiday pay, sick leave etc., and also have to shoulder the burden of visa runs.

Come to Moscow, instead! Not nearly as bad as you may imagine Very Happy
Foma87

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applying for a visa to Ukraine every three months would be a pain (you must not be a British or American citizen), let alone the expense. Plus, from what I've heard, applying for a Russian visa in Ukraine takes 7 work days, though maybe someone at the school knows someone who can expedite the process.
I don't entirely agree with Sasha, that you'd be entirely at the whim of the school, however. After all, hiring illegally carries a hefty fine, so you could always threaten going to the authorities in the event of a dispute over payment. If you managed to find part-time work with other schools or individual students, you'd be even less dependent.
Nevertheless, it'd be better to find a school that provides you with a work visa, if possible.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true that the school would face a fine. But the risk to the teacher is also fairly high. Illegal work and tax evasion on the employers' part is one matter. Being in the country under false pretenses and abusing the visa is another, and also quite serious. Nobody would emerge unscathed from any involvement with the authorities. So, best not to be in a clearly dodgy situation to begin with.
kittymiaz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree the whole thing would be too risky.
I was just really keen on that job as it was the first one I found that paid a decent living wage.
I have been interviewing for about a month now for various places in Russia and I only ever seem to get offered really low level wages. I am not expecting much as I only have a little under 2 years experience and a recent CELTA but mostly I get offered salaries like 45,000 with no housing, in Moscow. I know this is not enough to live in Moscow.
I have tried the usual channels like the jobs posted on here, TEFL.com and ESL Teachers Board. Any other suggestions?
mybu84

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of schools paying more than that - EF, Orange (St Petersburg) to name but 2. I have also seen many kindergartens offering 60k or above.

http://www.seriousteachers.com/

Try this website, you can limit the search to just Russia. Usually you will get 30-50k with shared accommodation, or more with no accommodation.

Have you thought about being a governess/governor? That pays a bucket full of cash.

If a school is not offering a visa, I wouldn't even bother negotiating with them. In every application I made, I stressed I wasn't interested unless the job came with a work visa.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very few people land decent jobs in Russia the first time around. Which is why I always recommend an introductory stint in a McSchool and then branch out as a freelancer. You'll have a shared flat, quite dismal, but all sorted out in advance. And you'll have your documents taken care of. In short, you are trading psrt of your earning potential for security, but it is worth it when you are wet behind the ears

You are applying from outside Russia, aren't you? It is really hard to know what you are getting yourself into from abroad, though the business visa nonsense gives a sledgehammer hint. So, go with a large chain-school. Suffer it. And then move onto better positions and private students.

There may be a magic short-cut which by-passes the need for McSchools, but I have not come across it.

Best of luck.
kittymiaz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: