Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hong Kong - a loser making factory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpjf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Hong Kong - a loser making factory Reply with quote

Hi,

I watched a Channel 4 (UK Tv channel) documentary called "Hong Kong's Tiger Tutors" last week. It was really interesting: about the school system in HK and how it's a "loser making factory", with over 75% of students getting extra tuition (what kind of percentage would that be in the UK or USA?!) and out of every 4 students only 1 will go to university. For me it's a sad state of affairs, especially if you're poor. However, I guess the economic factor also exists in other countries.

Link (25~ minutes long)
tttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hong Kong - a loser making factory Reply with quote

kpjf wrote:
Hi,

I watched a Channel 4 (UK Tv channel) documentary called "Hong Kong's Tiger Tutors" last week. It was really interesting: about the school system in HK and how it's a "loser making factory", with over 75% of students getting extra tuition (what kind of percentage would that be in the UK or USA?!) and out of every 4 students only 1 will go to university. For me it's a sad state of affairs, especially if you're poor. However, I guess the economic factor also exists in other countries.

Link (25~ minutes long)

Old news.... wasn't this discussed here a month or two ago?

<edit> can't find the thread... maybe on the Korean forums....

HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=101734
kpjf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This particular documentary wasn't discussed (but if it was on the Korean forums, I wouldn't know) so I thought it was worth watching, thus I recommended it. Nothing wrong with that is there? Very Happy
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Hong Kong - a loser making factory Reply with quote

If HK's education system is a loser-making factory, what's the US's?
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ukania also produces losers - lots of them. See any episode of the Jeremy Kyle Show.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: