Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Did You Get Your Privates?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U99A

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: How Did You Get Your Privates? Reply with quote

Just moved to Shanghai and want to supplement my salary. How did you get your privates? I won't be residing near my work location so can't poach them from there.
mwaltman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was born with them. They weren't created by any special 3rd gender surgical procedure.

That being said, it is illegal to teach private student outside the terms and conditions of your contract. Respect and follow the laws of your the country that has given (assuming) you a proper work visa. I doubt you would so happily violate the laws of your own country (then again...).
hochhasd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwaltman wrote:
I was born with them. They weren't created by any special 3rd gender surgical procedure.

That being said, it is illegal to teach private student outside the terms and conditions of your contract. Respect and follow the laws of your the country that has given (assuming) you a proper work visa. I doubt you would so happily violate the laws of your own country (then again...).
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
hochhasd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: How Did You Get Your Privates? Reply with quote

U99A wrote:
Just moved to Shanghai and want to supplement my salary. How did you get your privates? I won't be residing near my work location so can't poach them from there.

It is true that you can't do side work while under contract not unless you get permission from your school. When I was working at a uni the dean gave everyone permission outside of the college to obtain sidework for the Summer only.
creeper1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: my suggestion Reply with quote

1. Networking - networking takes time but get to know the local laowai. They go on holiday, they leave, they ask if others want to take their privates.

2. Local websites - some employers advertise on those offering pt work but be careful a lot will take a big section of the fees students pay leaving you very little.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was approached by the FAO to teach a friend of hers who was hoping to migrate to Canada.
China is a two-speed society or as they put it 'one eye closed and one open'.
U99A

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I had no idea that this was prohibited.

Illegal in ROK as well so the rates were sky high!!
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the contracts have it specifically stated:
'Exclusivity of Service' is one heading I've seen.
You can bend the rules on a lot of things - just don't flaunt or boast about it.
Toast

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U99A wrote:
prohibited.

As are lots of things in China that are openly flaunted.

These days, (at least in the Tier 1 and 2 cities) once you sift through the retarded offers you can get some part time work that pays as much or more than the ROK per hour.

I have an offer from a Chinese friend's work to teach there 2 hours on Wednesday afternoon and they'll pay 500mb plus taxi fare both ways....apparently they've been looking for a foreigner to teach there with the same conditions since last year, but couldn't find anyone. Point being the part time work is out there, many schools need teachers on the weekends, or rich parents want a tutor for their kids, but just don't know how to go about finding one. Shoot out some emails, stop by some private kiddy schools.

I've always been lucky at my school as I have an older co-worker who is super sociable....talks to everyone, friends with everyone. He gets a couple of regular new teaching offers come through every week, way more than he can handle. Of these he takes the sweeter gigs himself and offers the others (which are still pretty decent) to the rest of us.

Another friend (an Israeli) has a qq account which he leaves logged on all the time with his user name "[insert random white person's name] Teacher" and he's always getting messages from strangers asking him to work part time at their workplace / house.

I asked my FAO if she cares if we do privates and her reply was "As long as it doesn't interfere with your regular teaching schedule here"
hochhasd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toast wrote:
U99A wrote:
prohibited.

These days, (at least in the Tier 1 and 2 cities) once you sift through the retarded offers you can get some part time work that pays as much or more than the ROK per hour.

I have an offer from a Chinese friend's work to teach there 2 hours on Wednesday afternoon and they'll pay 500mb plus taxi fare both ways....apparently they've been looking for a foreigner to teach there with the same conditions since last year, but couldn't find anyone. Point being the part time work is out there, many schools need teachers on the weekends, or rich parents want a tutor for their kids, but just don't know how to go about finding one. Shoot out some emails, stop by some private kiddy schools.

I've always been lucky at my school as I have an older co-worker who is super sociable....talks to everyone, friends with everyone. He gets a couple of regular new teaching offers come through every week, way more than he can handle. Of these he takes the sweeter gigs himself and offers the others (which are still pretty decent) to the rest of us.

Another friend (an Israeli) has a qq account which he leaves logged on all the time with his user name "[insert random white person's name] Teacher" and he's always getting messages from strangers asking him to work part time at their workplace / house.

I asked my FAO if she cares if we do privates and her reply was "As long as it doesn't interfere with your regular teaching schedule here"

Until someone walks into your school and complains. If that happens your out of luck. Rolling Eyes
U99A

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The privates that I had in mind is much more casual than what most of you seem to do.........In our 2 neighboring countries to the east, I did my privates at Starbucks or similar place for around $30-$40 an hour. Sometimes I'd have lessons in my apartment depending on the student.
Toast

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U99A wrote:
The privates that I had in mind is much more casual than what most of you seem to do.........In our 2 neighboring countries to the east, I did my privates at Starbucks or similar place for around $30-$40 an hour. Sometimes I'd have lessons in my apartment depending on the student.

It can be both...sometimes it's just one on one or one on two in your place, their place, coffee shop, wherever. Other times it can actually be teaching in a "hagwon" type setting. Both kinds are available - up to you. The former can be more casual, yet unreliable while the latter can often block a few hours together meaning you can pick up more cash in one hit. I had an offer last semester working 8 hours on a Sunday making 150rmb per hour (25 bucks or so), but turned it down because I didn't want to work that much on a weekend day. I guess the second option gives you greater chance of getting busted, yet outside some of the Tier 1 cities where crackdowns (very) occasionally happen you would have more chance of seeing a tap dancing rhesus monkey than getting caught.
Toast

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hochhasd wrote:
Toast wrote:
U99A wrote:
prohibited.

Until someone walks into your school and complains. If that happens your out of luck. Rolling Eyes

Who would do that? You're in China. The average person can barely be bothered getting up in the morning, let alone going out of their way to walk someplace to complain about something irrelevant to them stuffing their face full of choudofu and beer. What a waste of valuable nose-picking time. My school *really* doesn't care. Last summer some of the foreign teachers were even using the empty classrooms and teacher's office to conduct their private classes with the awareness and acceptance of the school. As I mentioned the line they are unwilling to see crossed is teachers moving classes around to accommodate extra side classes.
U99A

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toast wrote:
hochhasd wrote:
Toast wrote:
U99A wrote:
prohibited.

Who would do that? You're in China. The average person can barely be bothered getting up in the morning, let alone going out of their way to walk someplace to complain about something irrelevant to them stuffing their face full of choudofu and beer. What a waste of valuable nose-picking time. My school *really* doesn't care. Last summer some of the foreign teachers were even using the empty classrooms and teacher's office to conduct their private classes with the awareness and acceptance of the school. As I mentioned the line they are unwilling to see crossed is teachers moving classes around to accommodate extra side classes.

Toast- I think some people are just paranoid!!
kungfuman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: my suggestion Reply with quote

creeper1 wrote:
1. Networking - networking takes time but get to know the local laowai. They go on holiday, they leave, they ask if others want to take their privates.

Survey Says: NUMBER ONE ANSWER (ding ding ding)

usually meeting other foreigners. they have friends, clients, students, that they can't service.

HOWEVER I have met some "friends" that tell you they will pay you and only to find out they keep a few dollars an hour for the "favor" of you dong their classes. I don't make that mistake more than once.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: