Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gateway Language Village Zhuhai

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neverheardofem

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Gateway Language Village Zhuhai Reply with quote

Hi,

I'd really like to hear from anyone who has worked here, or know someone who does!

They have schools in Zhuhai and Hangzhou and students are mostly young adults. I'm being considered for a position at the Zhuhai campus. The location sounds nice and the students would probably be great, but the salary is only 6000rmb. Accommodation is included but it still seems a little low. Or is it? I've never taught in China before - maybe this is normal for Zhuhai?

Also, there are three interviews required - seems a bit much! Isn't that a little unusual for such a low paying job?
Any info would be a great help!

Thanks!
doogsville

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With accommodation provided, it's about the norm for Zhuhai. I have a friend who works there, and he seems happy enough. You teach mainly teenagers and adults from what I gather, I don't have any first hand experience of the school, I work for another company in Zhuhai. My friend tells me there is often overtime available, so if you don't mind extra hours you can make more money.

For more first hand information you want to look at the Zhuhai Nights website, at least two GLV employees are regulars on there. I don't think you'll be disappointed with Zhuhai, it's a great city to live in. The three interviews are to sort out the wheat from the chaff, they have high standards at GLV, and again, six thousand is the average starting salary for the workload you'll have at GLV. If you can find a better paying job for the same workload in Zhuhai or elsewhere, please, let me know, I'd be interested.
Lei Feng

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to salary, it is certainly. You can double in Guangzhou or Shenzhen.

If you are a full time main class teacher at GLV you would probably end up doing close to 25 hours, all in.

When I worked there it was a great environment. You keep the same students for 2 weeks to 4 weeks. So, you can always have fresh faces to reuse your games and stuff, while not just randomly having a student here or there where you can never truly plan a lesson.

All in all, I thin GLV and Zhuhai are comfortable places to live for a while, but if you are young and active, like going out, it gets boring fast.
doogsville

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can earn double the salary in Guangzhou or Shenzhen but you'll have double the living expenses, especially if your 'young and active and like going out'. So you'll be back to square one. I should add that while I don't party as much as I used to, I have a lot of young and active friends in Zhuhai who do and love the place. Some of them have been here for years and are still not bored. I guess everyone is different.
GHammer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone interested, I know of 2 solid opportunitites in Dongguan. I know DG often gets blasted for being dirty and not-the-greatest city to live in, but I like it there --personally-- because of the job, the job benefits, and the fact that the school's located in a district outside of downtown Dongguan. The downtown area is convenient by bus for shopping and for traveling to Shenzhen, Guangzhou and Hong Kong on the weekends. The hours are 20 teaching hours per week.

It's an International school job, the salary is good and we have two openings; there's money to be made and paid vacation time, as well as the opportunity to save money for those who go out on the weekends, as opposed to going out every night.

PM me for details.

--G
lmorin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: GLV Reply with quote

Hi,
I just posted on them about my experiences last Summer here is my post:
Hello,
I worked for these people for a Summer School last Summer and it was hellish. 12 hour days and not very good pay to begin with. Some very badly behaved children but nothing was ever done about it. One of them even punched a teaching assistant (who were unpaid) and she was moved to another class-the student stayed. I got the impression that all these people care about is money and more money.
We (myself and 3 other teachers) were put in an apartment in the middle of no where with no gas hook ups, utensils or way to cook. When we asked for a gas hook up we were told we were supposed to eat at the school (where the food was inedible). We spent a lot of money on take out food.
I ended up getting stuck an extra month and worked for them longer than expected as I was having visa problems in the country I normally work in. I asked them to help me apply for a 2nd extension on my chinese visa but was told that I would have to go to Hong Kong (as it was possible to get a 60 or 90 day visa there and only a 30 day in China) and that I was paying all of my expenses myself. I suspected it was cheaper to keep me working for as long as possible so they did not have to bring in another teacher from overseas and hence, the reason for demanding I go to Hong Kong to get a visa.
Then, After spending all of my money to go to Hong Kong, I was yelled at by the authorities there as I had been working illeagally on a 30 day tourist visa. They ended up granting me a 30 day visa extension. Ivy (the human resource manager), a true snake if I have ever met one, had assured me that it was fine to work on this type of visa knowing full well it was illeagel and she was putting me in a compromising situation. The manager only asked if I had named GLV when I told him what had happened. When I told him my other visa came in and I would be leaving the next week, himself and his wife (a co manager) yelled at me, then stopped talking to me and gave me the 'cold shoulder' from that time onwards.
I had to force them to pick me up from the train station (they said that they do not do that) by losing the directions they had provided and I ended up paying their cab driver to take me to the airport at the end of my time working for them (it looked like he was picking up another teacher from the train station anyways) despite having been nice enough to provide rides for the other teachers who had left earlier. The train station was in a different city and an expensive cab ride away from GLV. It was a fitting end to my experience working with them.
doogsville

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find two things wrong with your post. One, GLV in Zhuhai does not teach anyone under the age of 16 years old, so I don't see where the unruly children you had to teach would have come from.

Secondly, the train station in Zhuhai is in Zhuhai, not in another city, and it only goes to Guangzhou, stopping in a few other Guangdong cities en route. You also say the cab driver took you to the airport and that he was picking someone else up at the train station. the airport and train station in Zhuhai are at opposite sides of the city, and at least 60 kilometres apart, so again, that sounds unlikely.

Are you sure this was GLV Zhuhai you were working for? I ask this since it is the topic of this thread. If you worked for another branch of GLV or for another company entirely, you are slandering and possibly libeling the people of GLV in Zhuhai, who, I am assured by the people I know who work quite happily for them, are quite nice people who treat their teachers quite well.
canrun30

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think it's Hanzghou he's referring to.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doogsville wrote:
GLV in Zhuhai does not teach anyone under the age of 16 years old, so I don't see where the unruly children you had to teach would have come from.

Having no knowledge of this employer, I could be speaking out of turn ... BUT, my employer is also known for teaching adult classes ... until summer rolls around when they also organise summer camps for younger students, and wheel in summer staff specifically for said classes. This could be a similar deal and wouldnt always make for a fair comparison to their regular one year teaching contracts.

But like I say ... I could be speaking out of turn. Very Happy
doogsville

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denim-Maniac wrote:
doogsville wrote:
GLV in Zhuhai does not teach anyone under the age of 16 years old, so I don't see where the unruly children you had to teach would have come from.

Having no knowledge of this employer, I could be speaking out of turn ... BUT, my employer is also known for teaching adult classes ... until summer rolls around when they also organise summer camps for younger students, and wheel in summer staff specifically for said classes. This could be a similar deal and wouldnt always make for a fair comparison to their regular one year teaching contracts.

But like I say ... I could be speaking out of turn. Very Happy

Not at all, and it may be that the other branch of GLV do this, but the Zhuhai branch doesn't. They recruit students to residential 'immersion' courses which usually last about two weeks. They don't need to run summer camps because their students don't study for the same kind of semesters that the language mills and public schools do. Most of the people I know who work for them chose to do so because they don't have to teach kids.

I'm not saying Imorin is wrong or lying, just that he is not talking about the Zhuhai branch of GLV, and given the nature of his post, I think it is fair to point that out.
canrun30

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doogsville,

Actually, GLV Zhuhai now has students aged 14-15 in their adult classes. That must be a barrel of fun! Ahem.

I taught there for a very long time and talked to some friends still there...sounds like Imorin may well be telling the truth, but the story would have had to take place in Hangzhou (which is run very differently from the decent operation that is GLV Zhuhai).

Just my 5 Mao's worth...
doogsville

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canrun30 wrote:
Hi Doogsville,

Actually, GLV Zhuhai now has students aged 14-15 in their adult classes. That must be a barrel of fun! Ahem.

I taught there for a very long time and talked to some friends still there...sounds like Imorin may well be telling the truth, but the story would have had to take place in Hangzhou (which is run very differently from the decent operation that is GLV Zhuhai).

Just my 5 Mao's worth...

Well there you go! thanks for the update. I did hear from a friend of a friend at GLV Zhuhai that numbers of students were down, due to economic hardships among the middle classes, so it seems they're adapting to keep going. Thanks for the information.

I notice that Imorin has yet to respond to any of this also.
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doogsville, get one of your friends at GLV to take a look at these threads. Maybe they know this person lmoring.
kellyarichardson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

My boyfriend and I are signed up for GLV's 2013 Summer Camp in Zhuhai - a series of 3 x 2 week sessions teaching 9 - 14 year olds.

I just wanted to see if anyone had anymore information about them and their set-up? I'm a little put off after reading Imoring's post.

Thanks in advance.
canrun30

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for them for many years and had a very good experience. In fact, I wanted to come back to do the summer program as well but for various reasons was not able to. PM me for more info. if you'd like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: