Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tawuniya Health Insurance
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ram77

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Tawuniya Health Insurance Reply with quote

I have had this insurance in Dammam and it was only for a couple of hospitals that I was able to go to. The hospitals were horrible. Has anyone else had this experience? My employer says it's the best plan there is and I just don't believe that.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I (and pretty much everyone I know) am on Bupa A insurance. Haven't had to make a claim though for myself so can't say what it's worth. Anyone else tried to claim on Bupa A?

I note that, contrary to the OP, there are around 40 clinics/dispensaries/hospitals that Bupa A gives access to in Dammam alone.
Muhammed Abbas Khan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to check what level of insurance cover the policy entitles you to. If my memory serves me correctly it needs to be 'level/grade A'. When teaching with Bell/ Obeikan in the past I recall that the insurance cover was upgraded for all teachers to 'A' which included many of the decent hospitals in Riyadh like Dallah.

Regards,

Abbas
sicklyman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallah is not listed in the Bupa A guide. Any other decent hospitals in Riyadh I could look up to see whether they are also listed?
Beaker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muhammed Abbas Khan wrote:
You need to check what level of insurance cover the policy entitles you to. If my memory serves me correctly it needs to be 'level/grade A'. When teaching with Bell/ Obeikan in the past I recall that the insurance cover was upgraded for all teachers to 'A' which included many of the decent hospitals in Riyadh like Dallah.
s

Medigulf 'A' is accepted in Dallah hospital for the usual treatments.
Grendal

Location: Lurking in the depths of the Faisaliah Tower underground parking.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sicklyman wrote:
I (and pretty much everyone I know) am on Bupa A insurance. Haven't had to make a claim though for myself so can't say what it's worth. Anyone else tried to claim on Bupa A?

I note that, contrary to the OP, there are around 40 clinics/dispensaries/hospitals that Bupa A gives access to in Dammam alone.

Bupa A is a respectable level of health insurance. I am currently on vacation, but have had to have emergency surgery due to gal stone movement. I will be testing the strength of Bupa A when I return to Saudia. All my forms, reports, and receipts have to be translated I think. Bupa accepts English or Arabic probably. It's a hefty amount of coin, about 9000 SAR.

Grendal
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At KFUPM we had access to a group plan brokered by the university insurance broker. It paid for my heart by-pass at the best hospital in Khobar (al Sa'ad) and saved my life.

Do not skimp on health insurance. It could delay your departure to that great TEFL classroom in the sky where we will all end up.

Last edited by scot47 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
sicklyman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grendal wrote:

Bupa A is a respectable level of health insurance. I am currently on vacation, but have had to have emergency surgery due to gal stone movement.

wow... sorry to hear your trip to Turkey was a turkey. Keep us posted on how you get on with that hefty refund.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how relative this is... to an American that wouldn't be considered "hefty" but wonderfully low. (my last surgery some years ago... outpatient basis - arrive in the morning, home for dinner... my portion was $3K of the $26,000 bill)

VS
sicklyman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Funny how relative this is... to an American that wouldn't be considered "hefty" but wonderfully low. (my last surgery some years ago... outpatient basis - arrive in the morning, home for dinner... my portion was $3K of the $26,000 bill)

VS

good to know you just have to find a USAnian to help cover your costs if Bupa doesn't come through for you Grendal Laughing
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically it means that you don't want to go to them for sympathy for an expenditure of that amount... because they will say... only $2500? Rather like when my family would complain of the "extreme heat" when it was all of 25 degrees with low humidity. Cool

VS
Grendal

Location: Lurking in the depths of the Faisaliah Tower underground parking.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if it is of any value VS, I was able to haggle with the chief of surgery in Ankara. It was originally about 10500 SAR.

Grendal
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... if only we could haggle the costs here. Cool

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teachers with a Uk background often ignore the importance of health insurance. After 65 years of the NHS in Britain we have grown up with an assumption that someone will fix you up after a car crash or when you need heart surgery.

Check out the medical cover.

Last edited by scot47 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yasuke

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Tawuniya considered 'A level' insurance? If it isn't, what is it? B, or worse? If anyone has any knowledge, please pass it on. Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: