Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mental illness and teaching ESL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scepticalbee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would break your reputation as a valuable teacher, as well. Besides, the brain is a muscle that can be worked out too: if you don't keep thinking about your pain for a while, you'll see it magically disappear someday. Same thing for the depression.
santi84

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea that qualified psychiatrists are interested in teaching ESL?
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, some of us are evidently good at EVERYTHING;-)
scepticalbee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Santi and Spiral:
No, I'm not a qualified psychiatrist nor I am good at everything either...
These are your own assumptions and assertions... By the way, you don't like assertive people very much, do you?
Anyway, I'm talking about what I've witnessed in life while trying to share this experience with really qualified and experienced teachers. You also entitle yourself this way, don't you?
santi84

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your assertion that a person who suffers from depression can simply make it magically disappear through the power of "not thinking" is insulting to those who have actually suffered from it; it minimizes the disease. Confused

Are you actually a teacher? Is that what you would state to a student who exhibits symptoms of depression? Also, didn't you say that you were leaving this forum?
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt psychiatric diagnoses are just common sense. I spot a theme developing.
scepticalbee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Santi: Please, don't try to reverse the situation while using the same words I told you few days ago in another topic. It's really so ridiculous. Your tone is the aggressive and belittling one, not mine, and this tone is not appropriate for a qualified and experienced teacher like you call yourself. Besides, it's not insulting to try to give hope to a depressed person by telling her that she could overcome her pain.
scepticalbee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd encourage one of my depressed students to practice sports and other pleasant and positive activities if it could help him to skip the poisoning medication. But, you can't understand the fact that people could have other viewpoints simply because you're so glued in your self-satisfaction and self-admiration. Anyway, yes I wanted to leave the forum but my account hasn't been canceled, so I think that I'd stay.
scepticalbee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're in a democracy, I presume, and I think that I have the right to share my opinions with other people in here without having to ask for your permission...I do exist, thanks God, just do with it!
Please, avoid replying or even reading my future posts. It would even be really great if you could just ignore them as I'll probably ignore yours. Thank you.
scepticalbee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, HLJHLJ, psychiatrist diagnoses are not common sense. You're belittling, here...
scepticalbee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm asking myself some questions, though: are you serious about your posting in this forum, guys? Or are you just here to destroy people's threads like you did with mine and like you're starting to do with this one as well? Do you think that your messages are useful and helpful to this topic's author?
Your attitude is the one which is really insulting to this topic's seriousness...
santi84

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scepticalbee,

I can assure you that an internet forum is not a democracy. No elections have taken place here!

I'm not here to destroy lives...

But I am here to say that if you were an ESL teacher here in Canada and you made that sort of suggestion to a student with depression, you might destroy your job! Shocked

Last edited by santi84 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scepticalbee wrote:
Do you think that your messages are useful and helpful to this topic's author?

Yes, I think that having people point out that your advice is wrong and potentially very dangerous (again) is useful and helpful to the OP.
santi84

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scepticalbee wrote:
Do you think that your messages are useful and helpful to this topic's author?

Yes, I do. Did you read my initial post to our OP on this thread? Unlike you, I have actually dealt with this issue personally while teaching ESL and living in another culture/language. I've also dealt with it professionally as a teacher and almost 10 years experience as a 911 dispatcher (and mental health/suicide hotlines!), prior to teaching.

Needless to say, I think I might know a thing or two about this topic.

It's still unclear to me if you are even an ESL teacher, so I'm not sure about your advice, my friend Smile
scepticalbee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think that aggressive, sneering and "murderous" comments like those which push a poster to commit suicide is far more dangerous than advising a depressed person to practice sports in order to overcome his/her depression for some time.
Your comments could literally kill a depressed poster who REALLY needs help and understanding from his peers in order to get his/her head out from the messy disease and from the difficult unemployment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: