Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Time TEFL Teaching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adamski122

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: First Time TEFL Teaching Reply with quote

I have just grduated, and I am going to do CELTA this winter. I would like to teach in Jakarta or somewhere exciting in Indonesia. Is this possible or should i get some prior experience in China, where work appears easy to come by.

Thankyou

Smile
TEAM_PAPUA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: * Reply with quote

Work in China is easy to come by as you say. Work in Indonesia is easy enough to find if you join the friendly staff at the world's largest english teaching school - EF.

The better schools do require experience in teaching & also prefer teachers who have experience overseas

I'm currently in China & hoping to return to Indonesia at the end of my present contract.

Indonesia is FUN Cool China is full of SPIT Shocked
Winmar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in your situation, and got work pretty easily. If you want to go to Indonesia, try there first.
KOKO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, i was in the exact situation that you are in. Graduated and wanted to go indonesia or thailand but chose to come to China instead for the easy working conditions and higher pay. I am happy i did because with all my vacation time I am able to spend about 3 months a year at the beach. Although if i could get a decent job near kuta i would take it in a second.

Cheers
Adamski122

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Thankyou very much for your comments,

are china working conditions that 'easy'? anyway, have not made up my mind. i think i migh try shanghai first and then move on to somewhere, relatively speaking, more exotic!
TEAM_PAPUA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: * Reply with quote

Shanghai is EXPENSIVE! If you are working for a language school the salary may be better in a smaller city in relative terms due to their huge overheads. For example EF china pay the same salary throughout china which is ridiculous! In relative terms you are then earning more than twice as much living in a small city. University work is easy to come by, but the salary is low, but you get more vacation time.

Living in Shanghai (if they inc accomodation) look for at least 6000rmb but you'll really need more like 8000rmb if you want to have some fun there. There really is no limit what you can spend so expect others to post that you will need 10000rmb etc Cool

Other smaller cities, 4000rmb would be ok and 6000rmb would be nice.

I've only visited Shanghai, it's cool, modern, very dynamic & interesting but crowded, big, westernised (mostly) noisy and very expensive. But the girls are beautiful & english is widely used (in relation to other smaller cities).

Cool
Chester

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Jakarta Reply with quote

Jakarta is a dump.
Guys that say it is good is because they like the girls and the girls are easy. It is not fun.
Mob violence is fun to the street people.
You have no real rights or personal safety.
Ask the consulates at any embassies and nine out of ten will say it is the worst posting they have had anywhere.
Read the jakarta post online to see about life in indonesia.
Winmar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No arguments from me, Chester. Why are you still there? Waiting for your contract to end?
Chester

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Why am I Still in jakarta Reply with quote

Why am i still in Jakarta.
my contract ended december 2003. i have been working in ESL part time since. only teaching adults, no baby sitting. I have a wondeful Indonesian wife who is an angel. if you met her you would see this. also her family are such fine people, as are the people i work with at Direct English, and the clients they have. I also work as a trader.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: