Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

General questions about ELL in China

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trufranco

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: General questions about ELL in China Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I just have a few questions I was hoping could get answered by the knowledgeable populace here on Dave’s ESL. I reference a friend of mine a few times on here but he’s pretty busy with law school right now and, consequently, not really able to answer my questions. Hopefully you guys don’t mind though! So first some background information…

Education-
Currently a senior French major with minors in international studies and linguistics, taking the prerequisites to follow it up with a masters in education in French and ESOL (I’m starting ESOL grad courses as early as this fall.)

Experience- (Perhaps more than you need to know, but I prefer to be thorough)
60 hours of in class observation in various fields
45 hours of clinicals
3 month live-in English tutor for three kids in France
Around 12 hours/week of French tutoring for the last 3 years through my University

So my questions are:

My choice to teach abroad definitely isn’t all about the money, however, coming out of American universities nowadays is unfortunately pretty synonymous with having debt. So I was wondering how much one would really be able to save on a year contract in China. I wouldn’t be trying to live a completely westernized life though I do imagine I would allow myself a few amenities. My girlfriend has a similar background to myself (with the addition of an English major) and we’ve been talking about going abroad together. I imagine this would do nothing but cut costs (apartment/utilities/etc) in half. Does this sound about right?

Next is tutoring. I have a friend who taught in China a few years back and said the majority of his money was made via private tutoring (in some cases up to 20 hours a week.) Is it really that easy to find people to tutor? It sounds like people charge between $25-$50 based on their experience and success. I’ve read about making sure it doesn’t interfere with anything in your contract so I’ll be sure to watch out for that.

Next, when should I start applying? The program that my friend did has applications open in October. The impression I’ve gotten from my own research though seems to indicate that it’s typically more of a March/April sort of thing. The program my friend suggested is based in Shenzen (CTLC) and seems to be fairly competitive. Does anyone know enough about this to tell me how I stand application wise?

Finally, just any advice/suggestions as far as applying for jobs (using a company or not), how to tell if a job offer is bogus, anything else I’m forgetting/should be thinking about? Thanks for everything!
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're pretty well at the end of the main hiring season (for Sept start) right now.
There will be a smaller season in December for starts after Chinese NY.
This is for the public sector but language schools recruit year round - as a result of their high staff turnover.
Most of the stuff you ask about is traversed at least once a month on this forum so stay reading.
Jobs for you and GF at same uni is certainly a goer and as you say there are benefits for the school accom-wise.
Try to stay away from recruiters and ensure that any uni you talk to has the legal right to hire foreigners and a good history of doing so.
If you are prepared to do privates and live frugally then substantial savings are possible.
I have found commuting to private work on a Saturday very time consuming, so look for unis that are in the downtown area as the Mom and Pop language schools who have weekend classes tend to be in that location.
teachingld2004

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: questions Reply with quote

Do you want to teach English or French? There are not a lot of jobs here for French teachers.

It is possible, but not likely to make 25 dollars an hour, but not possible to make 50 dollars an hour.

You have not graduated yet? Do you want to come here in September? Your window of time is very slim.

A new graduate will not have the easiest time finding a good job, but I guess you can get a job in a language school.

I for some reason you can get paper work done now, you may get a job because there are always the "I need some one now" rule.

Just start to apply or any job, and see what kind of responses you get.
Trufranco

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not graduated yet, wanting to teach English. I'm planning for post graduation, so teaching 2014-2015. It's a good bit ahead of time, just doing my research so I know what to expect. Also, the program I mentioned has an early application.

$25 is a stretch though? That's not exactly what I was wanting to hear... From what it looks like with all the job posts, it looks like there are more than enough well paying jobs, even with being a new graduate.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another bit of advice I would offer is that if you are intent to do tutoring, shoot for a city with a lot Koreans and Japanese. They make and pay good money for a native speaker for themselves and their children. Dalian, Qingdao, Weihai, etc.
BlueBlood

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimpellow wrote:
Another bit of advice I would offer is that if you are intent to do tutoring, shoot for a city with a lot Koreans and Japanese. They make and pay good money for a native speaker for themselves and their children. Dalian, Qingdao, Weihai, etc.

jimpellow, have you been to all three cities? Sounds like you're quite familiar with them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: