Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

School riots in Chile, and demand for TEFL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
freebird98

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: School riots in Chile, and demand for TEFL Reply with quote

Hello All,

I am new to the forum, but have been lurking for awhile.

I am getting my CELTA in September, and was planning on getting some experience and then heading down to Chile in February to look for TEFL jobs.
HOWEVER, I have been reading in the Santiago Times online about the riots in the schools. I am curious how this is impacting you all and your work. How bad ARE things down there? Are you still able to teach? Are your students even coming to class? Do you feel safe? What else can you tell me about the situation, and please include where you live.

Another question I haven't seen addressed anywhere recently is what is the demand for TEFL instructors? I am not interested in living in Santiago, but perhaps Concepcion, or Valparaiso. Is there a glut of teachers now with the recession? Are there enough jobs to go around? Is there any work to be found in the smaller towns? How much experience is necessary to get a job teaching English in Chile? I have a master's degree, and will have the CELTA soon, and then maybe six months of teaching experience in Ecuador.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Best Regards,
Julia
jakemh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's still work to be found outside Santiago, in places like ConcepciĆ³n and Valparaiso. With a Master's degree, CELTA, and teaching experience, you shouldn't have much trouble. It would be hard to find work in small towns though...

As for the protests, it depends on where you work. I work in private companies and universities in ConcepciĆ³n, so it hasn't affected me at all. I assume teachers at other universities have had classes canceled, but... they still get paid. Wink
freebird98

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your insight JakeMH. I will consider Concepcion and Valparaiso.

Glad to hear that the protests aren't affecting you.

Best regards,
Julia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: