Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Driving car to new job in Oman

View previous topic :: View next topic  
titanicman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Driving car to new job in Oman Reply with quote

Hi. I'm considering driving my car into Oman to start my new job there. I live in a neighbouring ME nation and wish to bring my car there -- full with all my belongings inside. There are many books (teaching & medical), electronics, and clothing. What would customs at the land border do? Would there be a long delay as they look at ALL the books? What is the procedure for registering a car in Oman and getting license plates? How much is it? Would it be better to ship the books?

Also, could I leave the car in Oman and fly out and back to get a work visa?

Thanks. Titanicman
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Titanicman,

As a woman I didn't have the option of driving to Oman, so I had to ship my car and effects by boat from Kuwait. Smile I was very lucky to know the manager of a shipping company with offices all over the Gulf, so they took care of customs and their Omani fixer even got it registered before I had my work visa (and everyone said that it couldn't be done with a tourist visa, but it took him most of 2 days). I suspect that you can do it yourself quite easily once you have your work visa. Oman's bureaucracy is the most efficient in the Gulf, but hopefully your new employer has a good fixer on staff to at least help you gather up the required bits of paper. You will likely have to pay customs on the car.

I had to give up my Kuwait plates to get the car shipboard, so I don't think I would not any of the Saudi border people that you are leaving Saudi permanently - perhaps say that you are taking things to store with a friend in Oman just in case you have to leave. It may be no problem at all, but I fear that they may take the plates if they know that you are leaving. (just a speculation--)

Time at crossing for customs? Like everywhere it depends on the luck of the draw. Then tend to look at everything, but videos seem to be more important than books. (although when I first moved to Oman, customs at the airport looked at every photo in my albums - all while standing on the tarmac while it was the usual August 45 degrees.) I would tell them the truth though that you are coming in for employment. Presumably you will have some paperwork from your new employer.

I would think that the new employer could help you out on where to leave the car.

Have you asked your new employer about any of this? It would be even better if someone would come on here who actually has done this. Smile

VS
stabnkill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note:
If you are driving from the UAE, expect to pay custums fees on your personal belongings. It is only slightly likely that you will be able to argue your way out of it. If you can prove that things like your computer were yours before you came there (with reciepts or other dated documentation), you will pay less. Women can drive across now also.

Another think for UAE is that if you are not coming in on a tourist visa (meaning you have a residence [employment] visa), you need a road pass to cross the border. Your employer has to get this for you. most people who move here from UAE seem to get their car and stuff later.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, women can cross from the UAE to Oman with no problem (actually they have always been able to go from the UAE to Oman, the problem was from Oman to the UAE, but that is one of those long stories---), but unfortunately between Kuwait and Oman, intrudes a large country that doesn't like women to drive. Smile

Actually my things arrived in Oman months before me and the only thing that I paid customs on was the car. But, these things change regularly, I would just be ready to pay if you can't manage to sweet talk them out of it.

VS
titanicman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Driving to Oman Reply with quote

Yeah....I won't have a work visa in hand when I drive from Saudi to Oman. I'll only have a paper copy of an email offering me the job. Would that pose a problem? I haven't heard about a road pass...is that still current?

I plan to bring all my personals in my car. Will the land border customs guys look through everything...a box full of books, clothing, electronics, etc.?

What is a good route from Khobar to Muscat? Good Saudi-UAE border crossing?

Can I book a flight from Oman to Canada while still hanging out in Saudi Arabia?

Thanks. Titanicman
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Titanic--

The customs people do tend to be thorough, but like everywhere, it is luck of the draw.

Road passes are needed from the Oman side, can you check with the Omani embassy in Saudi? There have been so many rule changes lately with the pickup in tourism.

I should think any travel agency in Saudi can do a ticket for you. Or you could buy one once you get to Oman.

Your employer should provide you with whatever papers are required for you to enter the country. Be sure that they know that you are driving. (see pm)

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: