Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

advice on a beach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teachingld2004

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: advice on a beach Reply with quote

Thanks in advance.

I plan to come o Bali for 20 days in August.
I am going to the beach, but which one?

I want:
peace and quiet.
Swimming (so peaceful water)
air conditioning.
access to taxis.
picking up sea shells

I do not care about the food I do not care about restaurants. Simple food is fine.

My object is to swim, walk and read.

Help! (please...)
princesss

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you should go to Bali at all. It isn't quiet or peaceful these days. It's one big traffic jam in fact. Maybe Lombok or the Gili Islands (off Lombok) would suit you better. If you do stay in Bali, avoid the Kuta area. It is very over-developed. Sanur is less developed and more peaceful. You could even try East Bali though the beaches aren't much good there.
Toast

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto - I'd go for Lombok...Gili Islands (perhaps Meno if you want slightly more laid back, or Trawrangan for a bit of a "scene") or Kuta Beach (In Lombok - not to be confused with the one in Bali). While in itself it's average, a couple of beaches up and down the coast from Senggigi are quite nice and mostly pretty empty. Rent a bike.

Can fly into Bali and arrange onward transport from there - I imagine you'll want to be on the first high speed ferry out of the place.

In all places watch what you drink - perhaps stick to beers or stronger booze you know has been imported as there have been quite a few batches of poisoned local moonshine (Arak) resulting in enough deaths to be wary.

Also whilst not life threatening there's something of a problem with sticky fingered locals around the tourist areas. When I was in Kuta Lombok the motorcycles would ride up and down the near deserted beach roads looking for bags to snatch. Most people there had tales of theft or near misses. Valuables will go missing anywhere in any of those tourist areas if you leave them lying about.

Anyhow, have fun. It's an interesting little part of Asia.
Gajah Oling

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toast wrote:
Ditto - I'd go for Lombok...Gili Islands (perhaps Meno if you want slightly more laid back, or Trawrangan for a bit of a "scene") or Kuta Beach (In Lombok - not to be confused with the one in Bali).

Note that Ramadan will begin on the 9th of August this year. Not sure how much that will effect tourist life in Lombok, but I imagine things will slow down during the day there. Also means that most of the Chinese-Indonesian students on school holiday will all be crowding Bali.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gajah Oling wrote:
Also means that most of the Chinese-Indonesian students on school holiday will all be crowding Bali.

Yeah to get away from Ramadan.
Toast

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gajah Oling wrote:
Note that Ramadan will begin on the 9th of August this year. Not sure how much that will effect tourist life in Lombok, but I imagine things will slow down during the day there. Also means that most of the Chinese-Indonesian students on school holiday will all be crowding Bali.

Good point about avoiding the Muz regions. Unless I'm mistaken though I thought Ramadan is beginning in a week or so. Should be finished by August. Maybe Lebaran?
pauleslteacher1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Ramadan will start on July 8.... Smile
pauleslteacher1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Gili Air... It's very relaxing.... I stayed at a hotel called Gusung Indah last Christmas... Excellent all around.... No motorcycles and cars on the island... I stayed for a week and didn't want to leave... Smile
Gajah Oling

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pauleslteacher1 wrote:
Actually Ramadan will start on July 8.... Smile

D'oh! You are correct. Had my months queued up all wrong. Ramadan will begin the 8th or the 9th this year. Though Lebaran will make a week in August a living hell for any kind of travel in Indonesia.
it'snotmyfault

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could fly to Banda Aceh and go to Pulau Weh, it's more of a diving destination but there's some beautiful unspoiled beaches.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: