Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Police came by my flat.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oipivo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Police came by my flat. Reply with quote

So, odd thing happened today.

A police officer stopped by my flat today to ask some questions about why I'm here and things like that. This was in Poznan and I haven't heard of this happening to anyone. He looked legit and had a lot of information about me and my wife.

Is this normal or should I purchase a new deadbolt?
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing out of the ordinary, they have to do it in connection with every application for residency Smile

I was on holiday when they called and they never bothered to come back.
oipivo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I figured it wasn't a strange thing, but in Turkey I was super paranoid about people coming to my door since they were nearly always shady. Glad I don't have to worry about being murdered!
ecocks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, the police haven't come by my flat regarding my residence application. Twice, looking for the previous tenant but never about the residence or work situation, so far anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pair of police came by my flat once when I was living in Gdansk to ask similar questions. The funny thing was, neither one of them spoke English. Good thing my roommate was there to translate.

In the 4 years I've been living in Warsaw, the Police have never come to check on me. In general, I think it's very low on their list of priorities.

One thing to be aware of about the Police in Poland: The Police may ask to search you without probable cause. It's happened to me once in Warsaw, and apparently it's normal.
ecocks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:

One thing to be aware of about the Police in Poland: The Police may ask to search you without probable cause. It's happened to me once in Warsaw, and apparently it's normal.

MAY ASK or simply MAY?

As long as they ASK I cannot imagine saying no but it is useful to know a few tidbits about their processes and procedures?

Police in the US MAY ASK (when they have in the past, I never had a problem saying OKAY) but a simple NO shuts them down, for the moment anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point, ecocks.

I said 'yes' to the police because I had nothing to hide. The search was pretty thorough and they checked my US driver's license, all my pockets, and every crease of my wallet. But conversations with a few Polish friends lead me to believe that they 'may' search you at any time, simply as part of being a 'check point' of sorts.

If someone has said 'no' and been let go, let me know!
dynow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
A pair of police came by my flat once when I was living in Gdansk to ask similar questions. The funny thing was, neither one of them spoke English. Good thing my roommate was there to translate.

same here. police came to my flat and didn't so much as look at me, just spoke polish to my girlfriend/now wife and went on their way.

ecocks wrote:
Quote:

Police in the US MAY ASK (when they have in the past, I never had a problem saying OKAY) but a simple NO shuts them down

if you're not under arrest, and you do not give a sworn officer consent, IN PUBLIC, you can never be searched by police....legally, anyhow. this obviously excludes things like airports and such because you choose to be there and by being there, you are submitting to their policies.
Infinite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynow wrote:

if you're not under arrest, and you do not give a sworn officer consent, IN PUBLIC, you can never be searched by police....legally, anyhow. this obviously excludes things like airports and such because you choose to be there and by being there, you are submitting to their policies.

That's not really how it works. A police officer can tell you for example that you look like a perp that they're looking for, or that they received information about a crime in the area... and so on. In the US the police have a lot more power than here and they often enjoy displaying it. If I had a dime for every time I was illegally searched in my youth I'd probably be able to buy a nice size property in some third world country.. possibly even a beach front property Wink
wojbrian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did this to me the first time I was in Poland.

The border patrol came to interview me, my neighbors and the school.

I talked to them for about 25 minutes and it was no big deal.

No strip search or apartment search, not that they would have found anything.

Easy Peasy!
sparks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemon squeazy Smile
dynow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infinite wrote:

Quote:
If I had a dime for every time I was illegally searched in my youth

key word....."illegally". anything's possible if we're throwing "illegal" into the conversation. I specifically stated, "legally, anyway" to avoid comments like that.

Infinite wrote:

Quote:
A police officer can tell you for example that you look like a perp that they're looking for

can they perform a Terry Stop if you match the description of a robbery suspect? yes. can they search you during that stop? no, not legally. until you're under arrest or you give consent, they cannot search. legally.
ecocks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different things for different people.

In 50 years of living in the US I never experienced mistreatment by a police officer. I have had contact with them over the years when my car was stolen, a few tickets, a lot of encounters while armed and have never had an issue where they acted unfairly or attempted to manhandle me or mine. Maybe a few times they attempted to lecture or start to preach but they shut down quickly when I said I wasn't interested.

Last edited by ecocks on Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Infinite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="dynow"]Infinite wrote:

Quote:

can they perform a Terry Stop if you match the description of a robbery suspect? yes. can they search you during that stop? no, not legally. until you're under arrest or you give consent, they cannot search. legally.

All they need is "probably cause" which could be... anything. Being black up until 92 when DWB was coined in the good ol' Jersey was a good enough reason.
dynow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All they need is "probably cause" which could be... anything.

probable cause = arrest = search. you're simply repeating what I just said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: