Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RU Visa Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ComradeBL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: RU Visa Help Reply with quote

Howdy! I'm in an odd situation in regard to visas. I searched the board and didn't see anything really relevant to my situation so I thought I'd ask.

I work in Kazakhstan. I'm going to be, literally, minutes from the RU/KZ boarder and want the convenience/ease of crossing the boarder into Russia for shopping/logistics/travel. I understand that all visas cost the same but do not have the same life span. Travel visas are only valid up to 3 days. It's economically not possible to throw down $175 USD every time I want to go goof around in Russia for the weekend.

Many people have written about the 90 days in / 6 months, but that wouldn't affect me either as I'm just looking at weekends or public holidays.

I foresee being in the area 2 years (maybe more) and, ideally, would like to obtain some kind of a 2 or 3 year multi-entry visa. Business/Tourist/Humanitarian doesn't really matter to me, as long as guys in big brimmed hats stamp my passport and let me go on my way.

Currently, I'm in my home country and will be on DuPont Circle (Embassy Mecca) in a few weeks to get my KZ visa sorted out (passport expired and had to start over). I have the time/$$ and can do everything in person but needing some guidance on whatever stamps I need to ensure seamless transition from the RU consulate people.

Any feedback/guidance is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks, gang!
melissadawn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wha? Are you in the U.S. and American? If so, you're in luck- our country now has 3 year multi-entry visas for Russia. In fact, you can be in Russia for six months, leave for a day, and then return. I think short trips should be no problem.
ComradeBL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Yep Reply with quote

Yes, I am a citizen of the USA and currently within the boundary of the USA.

What I'm asking is what kind of paperwork do I need to get a long-term Russia visa? I mean, can I make a reservation at the Hotel Baltschug Kempinski, print out the reservation to show the embassy, get a 3 year visa, and cancel the booking?

This is where I'm lost. I saw the link posted on a earlier thread from someone going from KZ to RU for work reasons, but that doesn't fit my situation. There was a link posted to "buy" your invite but that costs about $300 USD by the time you add shipping and will take almost 2 months to receive, not to mention another, roughly, $200 USD to the Russian government.

Half a grand and two months?!?! There's got to be a faster & cheaper way...
melissadawn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. If you're in the U.S. you should contact a visa company and ask. I used VisaHQ. I had a private invitation from someone in Russia; VisaHQ had actually advised to use one of their invites and get a tourist visa. I don't think it will take months, more like a month.
ComradeBL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea how long the tourist visa is valid?
ComradeBL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Got it! Reply with quote

It took a good four months but In late Nov I got a 5 year unlimited multi-entry visa that has really made life easier here. Thanks again for the help.

PM me if anyone needs direction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: