Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rental Costs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elliot_spencer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Rental Costs Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I did a search and couldn't find the answer so will ask.

How much is the ave rent in Santiago for a 1 bedroom apartment - NOT A STUDIO.

I have 2 cats so a studio is not doable

Thanks
derekchile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: apartments in Santiago Reply with quote

Hey,

It all depends in where you want to live in Santiago...Its a big city with a lot of different communities...Also if you want to travel everyday on the subway or you want to walk to work...

I lived in Santiago Centro...I payed 150,000 peso per month...It was an old aparment but it had two rooms (one bed, one living) a kitchen and a bathroom, as well as a closet. It was in the middle of downtown...but downtown can be a little noisey and a little crazy. Providencia and Los Condes are going to be a lot more expensive. but Nu�oa mightbe but its also a cool part of the city. La Florida migth be cheaper but you will be spending a lot of time on the metro...

Hope this helps! let me know if you have anyother questions
awphawk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The previous post here is very accurate. I pay slightly higher, 200.000 CLP ($400 USD) for the same area, but my building is brand new with lots of amenities - security, pool, bbq area, roof top bar, gym - and I probably also got the gringo price. I looked at about 20 different apartments before choosing mine, and in the Eastern part of Centro 150.000 - 300.000 for 1 bedroom unfurnished was fairly typical (for newer, high rise buildings with security, which was my target). And from speaking with friends you can definitely find 2 bedrooms for about the same price in centro. Or if you want to live with a Chilean (have your own room) then you will probably pay around 100.000 - 150.000 clp but you won't have to pay to furnish it. Furnished 1 bedrooms start closer to 250.000 to 300.000. Again, these are based on Centro, Nunoa maybe slightly higher, Provi/las condes much higher, other communas lower but not as accessible to metro. I can't say anything about the safety of other communas bc I don't know, Centro and further NE from there are all safe. Barrio Yungay or Barrio Brasil have been suggested to me as good neighborhoods, both centro ish.

However, if you don't have a visa, or even sometimes a permanent residency visa, expect to pay extra months in advance as a deposit as they don't always like to rent to foreigners (there are fewer of us here and thus they aren't as accustomed to it!)
sprightly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any tips for online listings? can be in spanish--we're trying to practise as much as we can before we go. haven't picked a country yet, but getting a handle on housing costs will help with decisions a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: