Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Indonesia is Dangerous?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chester

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Indonesia is Dangerous? Reply with quote

The embassies tell U.S and U.K. and Australians to stay away because of terrorist danger and mob violence.

Are they lieing?

I and some friends have witnessed.

Paint a rosy picture??
willy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chester you molester they have been saying that for years now and the only danger I have seen is in the form of woman that stalk me and the crap they distill here
gugelhupf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It astonishes me that the same level of warning is given by the UK foreign office for Indonesia as for Saudi. Surely this is just political?

Yes JI are still active and yes there is a chance of terrorist attack in Indonesia - the same applies in London and most western capitals.

As one example, the UK FCO states there is "credible evidence" for attacks against UK nationals in South Sulawesi. This relates to text messages sent to expat employees of a mining company claiming to be from JI. It transpires that this was a hoax started by the mine's resident dentist who was scared he was about to be replaced by an expat!! The guy has been arrested and the texts traced to his phone - but the FCO hasn't removed the travel warning. Anyone traveling to South Sulawesi from the UK had better check the opt-out clauses of their travel insurance because many companies refuse to pay out if you travel against FCO advice.

For heaven's sake New York copped the biggest hit of them all on 9/11 but there was never a travel warning issued regarding the US. And Brit interests in Saudi ensure that the FCO travel warning there is an "essential business only" one and not the all out "don't travel" when clearly Saudi is a risky place for westerners right now.

Given the choice between living in Java and Saudi I know which one would make me feel more nervous, but they get the same travel warning status from the FCO.
ls650

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Indonesia is Dangerous? Reply with quote

Chester wrote:
I and some friends have witnessed.

Witnessed what, exactly?
TEAM_PAPUA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: * Reply with quote

These embassy warnings are issued simpy to cover their backs if anything does go wrong. The trouble that you imply is easily avoidable if you use simple common sense.

I first went to Indonesia the week following 9/11 - then with the subsequent Afghan 'War' (?) there were some protests and discontent - however, IMO, the majority of Indonesian people have no real interst or concern with what goes on in the outside world. Nevertheless, there are those that are just looking for an excuse to cause some political problems: but usually follows a different political agenda, i.e attempting to cause unrest in order to force political change.

Essentially, if you stay away from mass organised protests (they are organised as someone is paying them to be there - see above agenda) you should be fine.

As for the female stalkers - they're great! Cool
willy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--U.S. defense company Lockheed Martin Corp. (LMT) released a statement Friday saying it was �very distressed� by reports that employee Paul M. Johnson Jr. had been beheaded by an Islamic militant group in Saudi Arabia, Cable News Network reported.
Winmar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seem to have been constant warnings over the last few years. I always ignore them, and get local advice instead. I was in Indo when the Bali bombing happened, and even then didn't feel threatened.
TEAM_PAPUA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: * Reply with quote

Didn't feel threatened? I nearly shit myself. There was a very strange atmosphere in Jogjakarta & also when I returned to Surabaya - but like everything else, it all faded away as the local people lost interest with events not directly affecting them.
willy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never had any probelm, Bali or other wise. but some buleys got scared an left????
Winmar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Bandung though, where the people are more relaxed and less fanatical. Smile
gugelhupf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last the UK has removed its general travel warning against Indonesia, the dust from the Marriot hotel having presumably settled by now. Specific warnings exist for the usual troublespots such as Aceh and Poso but these are perfectly sensible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: