Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TESL Ontario or TESL Canada Certification

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kreeco

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: TESL Ontario or TESL Canada Certification Reply with quote

Hello,

I am currently living in South Korea and I want to get either my TESL Ontario or TESL Canada certification online. I am looking for a program that is relatively cheap and that I could finish in about a month.

If you have any insight into TESL online courses, please let me know.

Thanks.
lizziebennet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got accredited by either organisation but I have been researching the topic so here is my advice.

If you go to the TESL Canada website they have the online courses that are recognized written in green. Why not take down that information and then search for the most affordable option.

Check out http://www.ontesol.com/ as they offer a course that will give you TESL Canada Standard 2 Certification.

If you live outside of Canada you can get away with just getting TESL Canada Certification which is the cheaper and easier option, as the requirements for TESL Ontario certification are far more rigorous. If you wait till you return to Canada you will have to get certified in your local area (TESL Ontario if you are from Ontario) before you can get TESL Canada certification. Much better to apply from outside of Canada.

Lizzie
santi84

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap and within a month?

Most of TESL Canada's qualified programs generally require 1-2 years of study (and 1 year is generally full-time study), not a month. As for cheap, I wish! Laughing

CELTA requires around a month full-time but is generally not offered online (or is it)? It qualifies for the TESL Canada minimum level.

If you are looking for certification that you can do online while working in South Korea, that can be completed in a month and is cheap, it will not meet TESL Canada standards.

I have level 2 (250 hours + 20 hours) and that was completed within 2 years full-time at a local university.
smedini

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

santi84 wrote:
Cheap and within a month?

Most of TESL Canada's qualified programs generally require 1-2 years of study (and 1 year is generally full-time study), not a month. As for cheap, I wish! Laughing

CELTA requires around a month full-time but is generally not offered online (or is it)? It qualifies for the TESL Canada minimum level.

If you are looking for certification that you can do online while working in South Korea, that can be completed in a month and is cheap, it will not meet TESL Canada standards.

I have level 2 (250 hours + 20 hours) and that was completed within 2 years full-time at a local university.

Yes, the CELTA is offered online, but not wholly; it is a blended course, with the practical element at a local testing centre. Unfortunately, there aren't any testing centres in Korea that can help with that. There are two CELTA exam centres in Seoul; perhaps you can visit them to see if they offer part-time CELTA *or* if they'd be willing/able to help you do the CELTA online. Sometimes schools don't offer such things because no one has asked for them, but frequently centres need little more than to make a request to Cambridge to offer them. The bottom line is that it doesn't hurt to ask. That would take care of doing something online (except of course the teaching part) and that would also give you TESL Canada certification. It is not, however, cheap. As other posters have hinted, though, you get what you pay for.

I think you should do what you can to get the CELTA; it is internationally known and will open more doors for you in future. Also, while there are currently no national standards for ESL instruction here in Canada, there is a movement toward creating some. Proper thing, too. I work on government contract and most of the ESL teachers I know around the country (in government schools, colleges and unis, and languages schools) have jobs that required them to have TESL Canada certification or qualifications that would garner it.

IMO
~smedini
lizziebennet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the closest you can get to what you are looking for is the 250-hour online TESOL diploma from Ontesol. If you add a 20-hour practicum you would be eligible for TESL Canada Professional Standard Two Certification.

You can do it in a minimum of two months apparently. The fee is CND$975. From what people have written here I really don't think you are going to get a cheaper or quicker option than that.

http://www.ontesol.com/tesl-canada.php

Lizzie
Chancellor

Location: Ji'an, China - if you're willing to send me cigars, I accept donations :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizziebennet wrote:
I haven't got accredited by either organisation but I have been researching the topic so here is my advice.

If you go to the TESL Canada website they have the online courses that are recognized written in green. Why not take down that information and then search for the most affordable option.

Check out http://www.ontesol.com/ as they offer a course that will give you TESL Canada Standard 2 Certification.

If you live outside of Canada you can get away with just getting TESL Canada Certification which is the cheaper and easier option, as the requirements for TESL Ontario certification are far more rigorous. If you wait till you return to Canada you will have to get certified in your local area (TESL Ontario if you are from Ontario) before you can get TESL Canada certification. Much better to apply from outside of Canada.

Lizzie
Yes, ONTESOL (the online version of Coventry House International, a Trinity course, though the online version isn't Trinity) will get you a Standard 2 (Interim) certificate from TESL Canada if you have a Canada-recognized four-year bachelor's degree along with the 250-hour diploma course and 20-hour on-site teaching practicum with real ESL students. You can change it from an interim certificate to a permanent one with 2000 classroom hours of subsequent, appropriately documented, teaching experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: