Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shamal Solutions -- Legit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rousseau Redhawk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Shamal Solutions -- Legit? Reply with quote

This ad for teachers in the UAE just appeared on Dave's. Can't find much web presence for the recruiters, Shamal Solutions.

The salary is a fantastic 22,000 AED a month, though.

Anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Thanks....
(Teachers Needed - Al Ain, United Arab Emirates

Posted By: Shamal Solutions <[email protected]>
Date: Monday, 7 January 2013, at 1:15 p.m.

Local training company requires additional teachers to provide Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced English Language training to young adult learners in Al Ain, UAE. Our English language section continues to grow in numbers to provide instruction using American Headway, DynEd and Aviation English curriculum materials.
QUALIFICATION:
1. Bachelor�s or higher
2. Native American English speaker (Born in USA or Canada)
3. Holder of an internationally recognized qualification in the Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) or equivalent (TEFL, CELTA) with 100+ hours in-class training.
4. Two years of work experience teaching English.
5. Mature and confident personality sensitive to cultural dynamics.

DUTIES:
A typical working week is comprised of 40 to 48 hours weekly. Daily schedule varies from either an 7 am to 2 pm instructional day or in the evening from 4 pm until 9 pm daily. Duties include but are not limited to: course preparation, PPP lesson plan required for each class, instructional prep per day and admin duties. A high use of English Language software and multimedia programs will be involved and therefore mastery of the computer is essential.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary 22,000 AED monthly
Contract period: 2 years
Housing allotment provided
Travel: Incoming and out-going flight ticket to home of record.
Medical: Local medical insurance plus travel insurance.

HOW TO APPLY:
Send your resume to [email protected] (dr_alan @ live.com) and include the following information in the body of the email:
1. Name
2. Date of birth
3. Place of birth
4. Educational background
5. Any additional educational certificates
6. Length of educational work experience)
Eisenhorn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shamal Solutions LLC is listed on linkedin...

http://www.linkedin.com/search?search=&currentCompany=C&company=Shamal+Solutions+LLC&sortCriteria=R&keepFacets=true

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/john-la-delfa/17/664/116

It appears to handle military contracts... makes me think of CERT/SPECTRE... Maybe these are the people replacing SPECTRE. If you do a search on Linked in you get 4 pages of people who have them listed as their employers.

Mind you, remember... if they are offering that kind of money, I would seriously wonder what you'd be getting into for it.
Rousseau Redhawk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Shamal Solutions Reply with quote

It is curious, isn't it? They do say you could expect up to a 48 hour work week, but that is a large salary, plus a housing allowance.

I've sent what they asked for in the ad; perhaps I'll know more and be able to report back soon.

Thanks for the check on Linked In....
TT-Kira

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their requirements are totally contrary to ICAO doc 9835 ...

Find it strange that they offer decent money but don't want the required qualifications

On their website there's a message saying that there aren't any positions at present .. Confused

Anyone know anymore?
Eisenhorn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Shamal Solutions Reply with quote

Rousseau Redhawk wrote:
It is curious, isn't it? They do say you could expect up to a 48 hour work week, but that is a large salary, plus a housing allowance.

I've sent what they asked for in the ad; perhaps I'll know more and be able to report back soon.

Thanks for the check on Linked In....

About the housing allowance... in the advert posted they say 'allotment provided' that doesn't really mention any housing allowance... They might be lumping a housing allowance in with a monthly salary... that would explain the 'crazy' money they are advertising. I know a few folks who work at IAT who do that.. they lump in their housing allowance into their monthly salary and then claim they are making over 20K a month in salary. <shrug>
Expat101

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did a google check on:
dr_alan @ live.com
Found this:
http://www.eslhitchhiker.com/job/australian-esl-instructor-needed-sunshine-coast-australia
So indeed it is SPECTRE Training and Evaluation under a different name using the same email.
If I recall correctly, there were many complaints about them. Anyone else care to add, clarify, defend or argue?
Rousseau Redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ad in the address you provided is almost identical to the Dave's ad, down to a high salary. I haven't heard from them, but if I do, I'll relay back what I've learned.
selvatoronto

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: UAE Dr Alan Reply with quote

In fact I wrote to Dr Alan because I found his 'demands' .

He says the candidate MUST be born in one of the western countries! I asked what if they person's parents were in the third world somewhere and had a child?
In the end he told me 'Get over it"... I found his ad discriminating, and him... well... unrealistic in this global world.

I won't be surprised if this ad is a hacker's work. I did have such an experience couple of years ago from Abu Dhabi. They asked for a copy of my passport and ONLY $50. When I said I would make the trip and come to Abu Dhabi they did not write back. I also contacted the Ministry of Education in Abu Dhabi at the time. They told me the company was not legitimate!

BEWARE
genericusername

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: UAE Dr Alan Reply with quote

selvatoronto wrote:
He says the candidate MUST be born in one of the western countries! I asked what if they person's parents were in the third world somewhere and had a child?
In the end he told me 'Get over it"... I found his ad discriminating, and him... well... unrealistic in this global world.

I won't be surprised if this ad is a hacker's work.

The contract with the Emirati government requires native born citizens, and allowing Canadians is a new item. Why are you worrying about discrimination? Is it discrimination when Saudi companies specify that only men or women can be hired for particular positions? This contract is open to men and women.

It's not a scam. If you are hired, you will have all of your expenses paid except for diploma attestation. All flights are business class. Housing is over and above stated salary and allowances. Salary plus allowances should be around AED 22,000 per month and housing about AED 95,000 per year for basic teachers with fully paid insurance, dependents travel paid and children's education allowances. A total package of around $100,000 tax free for working four to six hours per day is not a bad deal.

If you think it's a scam and don't apply, then it's your loss. I hear things are not as good as when Spectre was in business, but it is much better than working for some university in KSA.
helenl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Business class tickets? and all the other benefits on top of AED22000/month and only 6 hr days (30 hour weeks)? Wow!

Does anyone know someone working there now? I have never heard of the place or these types of benefits in my 12+ years but that means nothing if people are trying to keep such a great job for themselves.

Would be great if someone could provide more details on who one will be teaching, holidays, facilities, whether the housing is provided or accommodation allowance is paid, does one get a furniture allowance too?
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scam alert ?
truthbebold

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This company is advertising again on Dave's. Same details. Is anyone currently working there or know if this deal is legit? Also, what are the conditions like?

Cheers
hamergirl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is everyone calling this "crazy money"? It's a similar package to UAEU.
DynoButch1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advert went back up a week or two ago.
I sent all the pertinent information. This Dr. Alan character emailed me back immediately to say I'd been "short-listed". He's pretty much been wasting my time ever since promising a Skype interview, for which he never seems to be online when he says he will be.
The whole thing seems pretty fishy to me
SirAristede

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DynoButch1 wrote:
The whole thing seems pretty fishy to me.

"A fish rots from the head down."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: