Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does 12,000 yr US in Latin America make for a happy teacher?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulie2003

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Does 12,000 yr US in Latin America make for a happy teacher? Reply with quote

This includes housing.
MELEE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In WHICH country...

The economies vary a lot!
lozwich

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking my recent experience into account, I think I'd be asking a lot more than money questions when deciding what constitutes a 'happy teacher'...
moonraven

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If money were the determinant of whether one is happy or not, I wouldn't have been working in Latin America for more than 10 years. I would be back in the US billing my business consulting clients 75 bucks an hour. I can't imagine anyone coming here for the money....
Paulie2003

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Maybe I should have said 'comfortable'... Reply with quote

You are all right - money is not (and should not be) of great consequence.

I've heard a similar message from One who said: "Sell all you have, give to the poor and follow Me!"

Actually, that is what this job is all about!!
matttheboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you really want to know, on a purely financial level then yes- in the countries i`ve lived in (Ecuador, Argentina and even Chile, the most expensive country in these parts) then you could live very happily on 12 grand. In Buenos Aires you can rent a luxury 2 bed apartment in a decent area for about US$6-700 a month for example....Enjoy the money (as long as the job isn`t in some backwater hellhole where you won`t be able to...)
Paulie2003

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Hey Brother!...'backwater, hellhole' huh?...I wonder Reply with quote

what parent worth their salt would even think of sending their child to someplace like that!...and pay very good money to do it. Asian jobs generally pay decently - I made the best money in China! (though I couldn't quite figure out what the school was all about). The economic situation in Latin America is bound to improve - there must be great money to be made from all those vacationing rich Canadians and Americans! If, of course, the political situation is stable... Question Rolling Eyes Cool
matttheboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stable politically!!!!!!!????? South America?????? The best you can hope for is stable-ish (empahasis on the `-ish`...). Chile`s the most stable without a doubt (but there was a bomb there last week in Santiago-some `subversives`, as the government likes to call them, blew up a bank). Argentina has stabalised somewhat and is pretty safe (and very, very fun) if you keep your eye on the ball, just get used to to the almost daily workers` (or non-workers`) marches or join in-they can be fun, and Brazil`s ok (despite the alcoholic President Lula). The Andean countries tend to be the least stable (especially Ecuador and Bolivia) and of course Colombia has it`s problems. I have no ideas about the political situations anywhere north of Colombia (except Venezuela-in the news due to the oil problems...).

Where is your proposed job for 12 grand? Sounds like a pretty good deal to me..... Shocked Very Happy
Paulie2003

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The position is still pending - but I believe it's on the side of a volcano in a country that has had a history of political unrest. It's supposed to be calmer now (and cooler since the rains have come). Anyway, one needs the necessary degrees and experience (5yrs+). Wink
M@tt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: money Reply with quote

if you're really interested in the money and don't mind unrest, go to colombia (columbia?). there are univ. jobs there that pay $25,000-$35,000. i was in contact with one a couple years back but decided it wasn't worth the risk.
Paulie2003

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can safely answer my own question now...from experience. One thousand dollars a month is easy enough to get by on (housing provided) and the teaching conditions where I am (El Salvador) are actually quite decent. The country and its people are unique and interesting and the students are eager to learn English. I could actually say it's 'growing on me' - I find myself enjoying the job!!! Laughing
Paulie2003

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like most nebulous statements, that last one of mine should be qualified a bit further...how one defines the word 'live' has a lot to do with how suitable a salary might be, of course. To make a 'decent' wage there are a myriad of minor inconveniences to put with such as: sharing living quarters, teaching at an upper class shool and flaky co-workers as well as students, etc. These kids' families usually have maids to cover the more mundane household tasks - it's the exception not to. But, in all fairness, they can be very responsible and have great aspirations for their own futures generally...and many of them try very hard to excel in school. Of course, there are the American and British schools which are pumped-up and fueled by the ever-generous (especially when it's not really their money to give) financial 'machine' in their respective nations. As long as there is ink and plenty of paper to print 5's, 10's, 20's 50's....why the whole world can benefit and finally live in Peace!!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: