Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job prospects with 2.5 years experience + few qualifications

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClarkeDawson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Job prospects with 2.5 years experience + few qualifications Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of moving to Egypt after my current job ends in May, and I'm not sure where to start.

I have two and a half years experience teaching ESL, some adults but mostly kids. I have a rubbishy TEFL qualification that isn't worth the paper it's written on. I have a BSc in a subject not remotely related to EFL. I've pretty much decided to do the CELTA in June when I go back home, but I know that lots of jobs want your experience to be post-CELTA, which unfortunately disqualifies me from some of the better schools like the British Council.

So where should I start? I've read some of the other threads about this, but tbh found them a bit confusing, and I know that the situation has changed a great deal in the last several months, with visa laws being better enforced, etc. It seems like lots of the jobs available are in international schools, but I'm assuming that without a PGCE I won't qualify? What are the best language schools for me to apply to? Any idea roughly how much I could expect to make?

I'm British, if that influences things at all. I've seen job ads that specify needing a British or Egyptian passport - is it easier for Brits to get a visa than other nationalities?

Thank you kindly, everyone! Very Happy
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past, the British Council did the CELTA course in Cairo. That might make sense for you. Get it there and you have a month to scope out the job market. At the moment, the bad press is keeping people away, so I doubt that employers other than those at the top - like AUC or Cairo American College (K-12 American school) - are being terribly choosy right now.

Your biggest problem will be finding an employer who will give you a legal visa.

VS
ClarkeDawson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great advice, VS, thank you! I hadn't thought of doing my CELTA in Egypt, but it makes sense since it seems like there's not much online recruiting. I guess I'm just going to have to put in the foot work if I want a job.

Do you think it's worth me trying to apply to some of the lower end K-12 schools, or should I skip it altogether and just look at ESL? I'm thinking the K-12 schools would be more likely to get me a legal visa, and if they're not being choosy right now I might just be able to sneak in there.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you read the sticky at the top of this page, "A Primer"? It is not a new post, but the realities should be similar.

If I were you, I would do the CELTA... as it is something that will be useful for you in future job possibilities. And again, use the time you are studying for it to research *all* kinds of job opportunities and visa issues. (this will probably be your biggest problem I fear)

VS
OzMak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the takeover of the new government they've become quite strict with residence and work permits. In the past you could've overstayed your visa by a month or so (speaking for myself) and not have any penalties imposed on you when you exit the country. However, now there are penalties depending on how long you have overstayed your visit here. Egypt is one of the few countries in the world where you might just find almost every nationality in the world bar a few, so it leads one to believe there are many issues with too many overstaying here. If you find a decent employer perhaps they can take care of the work permit issue for you although it is a nightmare to get your residence here if you do it on your own. Trust me.
justcolleen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, I've sent you a PM.
PierogiMonster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although experienced and well-qualified (PGCE, BA English), it was only when I got my CELTA in Sep 11 that I was able to start thinking about British Council positions.

I work at BC Cairo now. I came here as part of a regular tranch of recruits on a training programme. This programme accepts fresh-faced CELTA graduates as well as those more died-in-the-wool, like myself, who had less than the two years post CELTA.

Point is: if you're set on Egypt, apply for the CELTA course run at BC Cairo, do well and you've a good chance of getting a full-time job there straight away, like several of my new colleagues.

PM me if you like.
william0dark30

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be ready to pay a hefty fee for the course.

I believe it's around 14,000 pounds!

Well, I guess that you could make the argument that knowledge is priceless, and that by getting the CELTA, you would be making a smart investment.
PierogiMonster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're at all serious about teaching as a long-term, career option the least you should do is take the CELTA. Then maybe the CELTAYL for the kids and possibly a DELTA in the future.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PierogiMonster wrote:
If you're at all serious about teaching as a long-term, career option the least you should do is take the CELTA. Then maybe the CELTAYL for the kids and possibly a DELTA in the future.

all very good advice although the qualification for kids is called the CELTYL.

And just to be clear, William is talking Egyptian pounds, not pounds sterling!
Yosra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Not Recommended Reply with quote

Asalamu Alaykom,

I'm not sure if Mr. Dawson is still considering Egypt at this time. I am here now and I would not recommend it for someone who has no previous experience in Egypt. This is not a good time to be a newbie. Those who would normally give assistance are really overwhelmed and unable themselves. Without that support, someone new to Egypt would fail or fall victim.

All of what I said goes double for women. A foreign woman alone in Egypt now is in danger. Things are normally tougher for a single woman here but this is now to the extremes.

Inshahallah, there will be another (safer) time.
justcolleen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Not Recommended Reply with quote

Yosra wrote:
Asalamu Alaykom,

I'm not sure if Mr. Dawson is still considering Egypt at this time. I am here now and I would not recommend it for someone who has no previous experience in Egypt. This is not a good time to be a newbie. Those who would normally give assistance are really overwhelmed and unable themselves. Without that support, someone new to Egypt would fail or fall victim.

All of what I said goes double for women. A foreign woman alone in Egypt now is in danger. Things are normally tougher for a single woman here but this is now to the extremes.

Inshahallah, there will be another (safer) time.

I was going to reply to your well-intentioned and quite accurate comments in another thread, but it's been locked.

Hmmmmmm.

So, I guess I'll +1 what you said. This seasoned Egypt veteran left and there's no way I would go back unless/until it settles down - significantly. To say it's safe is foolish and I would never encourage anyone, especially women, to give Egypt a go. Right now, anyway, and quite likely for several years.

It's become a dangerous place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: