Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Carnage

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Carnage Reply with quote

After recent events can we assume that no one is heading to Egypt to teach ?
santi84

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left in October 2007. I'm glad I got to enjoy it when I did Sad I wonder what things are like down in the south?
applecrumble

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Carnage Reply with quote

I left Alexandria before June 30 when things really began to disintegrate. I had finished an 18-month stint as a trainer in a government school.
Law and order was beginning to break down long before with an increase in muggings, street fights, burglaries. It was no longer a pleasure to walk along the corniche.
In one week there was a machete gang fight and a gun fight in front of my flat, and the electric cables outside went on fire.
There were no police on the streets and my neighbours put the fire out themselves. Very Happy It is very sad to see the way things are going but at least the MB are finished. They had their chance and they blew it - a criminal party with well-documented links to terrorist organisations including Al Qaeda and Hamas. Evil or Very Mad
The army is trying to get the situation under control. The news reporting from the Western media including or especially the BBC is biased and ill-informed.
I pray for the teachers and children whose education will be disrupted for the fourth year in a row.
North Sinai is a mess of warlords getting rich on arms dealing and human trafficking. Again the army and intelligence is trying to rein them in. It will take time.
The Red Sea resorts are fine despite travel agencies cancelling bookings. Norway and Sweden have recalled their nationals.
The curfew has been lifted in Sharm and Dahab where the waterfront restaurants are open but empty of customers.
In short, an almighty mess.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, the MB is far from finished and their numbers are significant. I foresee a long drawn-out civil war of attrition similar to the 10 years of chaos in Lebanon. Of course, one mitigating factor is that there are fewer "sides" in this conflict. There are few angels on either side of this conflict. While the MB proved to all their incompetence at running the show, things have now been handed back to basically the same crowd that the revolution threw out. Egypt has been ruled by the military since Nasser took over.

A friend of mine on Facebook has spent the last year keeping her friends informed through tweets, blogs, and more traditional media as to what is really happening. The unraveling has been so sad to watch.

Just yesterday she posted an entry from a new teacher who had just arrived. One wonders if he will stay... but he did come with his eyes wide open. Not sure where he will be teaching.

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reports today of 36 prisoners "shot while trying to escape". The Military Government has blood on its hands.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't they all? It is their business of the military to kill... and all they ever seem to need is the slightest excuse.

VS
Yosra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: I'm here Reply with quote

Asalamu Alaykom,

I'm here. It's hard to be here.

Currently, my school has NOT postponed the start date. I am supposed to show up on Saturday and begin training. New teachers are already in orientation. September first I'm supposed to welcome students back. If you have seen the soldiers in the streets (let alone the blood flowing), then you know that I seriously question how in the world I am going to go through this moment.

If the schools would postpone, then I could wait this situation out in my home. However, the increase in danger and the beginning of the school year are happening simultaneously.

I would like to hear from others who are here now. No offense to those of you who have left. It's just that we're in vastly different situations.

Thanks
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang in there Yosra... things don't look too bright for the foreseeable future. All of my friends have chosen to leave and I can't say that I blame them. Crying or Very sad

VS
Yosra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: No Blame Reply with quote

Thanks VS,

Ya, no blame for those who have left. I am looking at options because every day there's a new HORRIBLE twist. Today it was the killing of one of Al-Haram Newspaper's Bureau Chiefs because he was out past curfew (though he had journalistic ability to do so).

I want to state something here because maybe someone else will read it later and it will prove helpful: I've been here four years. I lived through the Revolution. I am a Muslim-American fully ensconced in an Egyptian family home and well protected by my Egyptian husband. I have a great job. Alhumdulillah for everything. Yet, I'm thinking of leaving. If I can't handle the situation in Egypt well, then there isn't a lot of hope for someone else. I would not recommend to come work in Egypt at this time for ANYONE.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The descent into bloody anarchy is now well under way. Where did it start ? Intervention in Iraq ? The partition of Palestine ? The End of the Ottoman Empire ?

For sure we will not see Peace in this region for a long time.
Sirens of Cyprus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about obama's speech in Cairo?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirens of Cyprus wrote:
how about obama's speech in Cairo?

The lets blame everything on Obama brigade? Don't display your ignorance of the situation... which mostly displays the suggestion of racism.

Whatever is happening in Egypt was put into motion by the desires of Egyptians - a fire that has been slowly simmering since Obama was in grade school. Their methodology has backfired on them... revolutions are notoriously messy. The US government didn't start it and they have no power to stop it.

VS
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: