Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do (real) international schools in Colombia pay?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, we have gone over the main points. I still don't understand how you can train as a high school teacher online (even if the certificate is the standard one issued to all certified teachers) if you are not actually in a high school. With a standard teacher training program you are placed in a high school with a mentor and get direct teaching experience. If you are an ESL teacher (and I would think many of the people who do these kind of courses are ESL teachers trying to move up the ladder to the better jobs) how would you get the proper teaching experience in a high school??

Teaching ESL in a language school, although perhaps acceptable for the TeacherReady program, just won't provide the proper training for teaching in a high school or an international school.

The second/third international schools in Colombia are offering 2 million pesos a month. The top schools will offer maybe double that, but you will need proper certification and experience to get in. In the long run, I think just studying in a decent, brick and mortar college will benefit someone more, especially for the better jobs.
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are in high school with a mentor during the program. You do your academic stuff online while also doing your field experience / student teaching at a elementary, middle, or high school where you are located.

you cant do any esl work in a language school for any accredited online alternative certification program. you have to do your field experience/ student teaching in a proper accredited International School if you are abroad.

Like I said, basic ESL and a actual licensed teacher are completely diff stuff.

If you already have a degree, it would be stupid to go back to a brick and mortar school for a teaching license that you can get online for way cheaper.
eric blair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this stands for MA programs. There are certain MA programs (e.g. pure applied linguistics, without any ELT component) that you can not do on-line, and that better some of the best universities require you to have attended the MA course, i.e. not distance.
chromium

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from TeacherReady's website:

"TeacherReady� is an online alternative teacher certification program. TeacherReady is state approved and is the Educator Preparation Institute of the NCATE accredited Professional Education Unit at the University of West Florida."

Hope that clarifies things Shocked

I guess they mean the state of Florida only, and what TeacherReady is approved of by the state is not mentioned.

I hope it helps the people doing it, but it does not seem likely to help in any getting ESL teaching jobs at language schools or universities, particularly outside the US. Maybe some US international schools would accept it. I hope I'm wrong.

Beware of any trademarked teacher cert program
Very Happy
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chromium wrote:
This is from TeacherReady's website:

"TeacherReady� is an online alternative teacher certification program. TeacherReady is state approved and is the Educator Preparation Institute of the NCATE accredited Professional Education Unit at the University of West Florida."

Hope that clarifies things Shocked

I guess they mean the state of Florida only, and what TeacherReady is approved of by the state is not mentioned.

I hope it helps the people doing it, but it does not seem likely to help in any getting ESL teaching jobs at language schools or universities, particularly outside the US. Maybe some US international schools would accept it. I hope I'm wrong.

Beware of any trademarked teacher cert program
Very Happy

The TeacherReady program is fully accredited and upon completion you will hold a professional teaching license from the state of Florida, the exact same license as teachers that hold an education degree have.

You will be able to work at any International School in the world. (assuming its not for only 1 country's teachers) And also be able to work all across the US in states with the reciprocity clause that recognizes licensed teachers from other states.
JacobTM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend recently left his position at the following school:

http://www.richmondschool.edu.co/

We spoke briefly about it, he said he made over $4 million COP a month, on the 10 month paid 2 month unpaid plan.

So 40 million COP a year, or just over $20,000 USD a year.

Not bad at all. When I lived in Colombia, I was getting by on less than half of what he made.

He had a CELTA and a university degree but no teaching certification. This was not his first job in Colombia either, he had worked in other High Schools before, with a CELTA.
corniche

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Internationalist wrote:
Nueva Granada is regarded as the best school in Colombia.

Starting in Oct I will begin my online alternative cert program so I can get a job at these institutes and make an extended stay in Colombia.

Will prob go to Venezuela first though. They pay ALOT over there.

Venezuela pays a lot? Which schools?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: